Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2019, 03:38 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,149,450 times

Advertisements

A teacher in South Carolina has filed suit, making part of it eligible for class action, over mandated hours working ball games concessions, being persurred to purchase items with own money, and being required to write lesson plans while on extended medical leave.

https://www.wvlt.tv/content/news/SC-...540476351.html

I hope she wins and I hope this happens in more states, mainly because of attitudes like the underlined. If schools demand hours beyond the contracted ones they need to pay the teachers for it.
Quote:
The contract states that faculty meetings must begin within 20 minutes of the end of the student day and can last no longer than one hour.

Faculty are only required to attend regularly scheduled meetings. Attendance at all other meetings and all other duties "beyond the employee’s normal duty hours" is voluntary, with the exception of parent-teacher conferences.

If there is a mandatory meeting beyond the one hour per week, employees will be paid at an hourly rate for attendance.

Education reform advocates often point to such provisions as obstacles to turning around low-performing schools, saying principals often don't have the leeway to require additional meetings or development that would improve student achievement.
State takeover of JCPS: What's at stake in the teachers union contract
It isn’t an obstacle, they just aren’t willing to pay for it.

Old 09-01-2019, 05:24 AM

45,344 posts, read 60,522,810 times
We had a Principal who wouldn't start our after school staff meetings until every teacher had arrived. We'd usually sit for 10 or 15 minutes past official start time until the last stragglers arrived. Of course her posse thought this was OK.

One day we waited for over an hour when "someone" asked who we were waiting for. The Principal told and then "someone", in a profanity laden response, informed her that teacher was out sick, in fact had been out sick all week (" someone" did get a write up for foul language and unprofessionalism).

We also had a couple teachers who, at the end of every staff meeting, would ask a question that required a 30 minute answer. Every single time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2019, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
We had a Principal who wouldn't start our after school staff meetings until every teacher had arrived. We'd usually sit for 10 or 15 minutes past official start time until the last stragglers arrived. Of course her posse thought this was OK.

One day we waited for over an hour when "someone" asked who we were waiting for. The Principal told and then "someone", in a profanity laden response, informed her that teacher was out sick, in fact had been out sick all week (" someone" did get a write up for foul language and unprofessionalism).

We also had a couple teachers who, at the end of every staff meeting, would ask a question that required a 30 minute answer. Every single time.
I suspect “someone” got written up more because the principal was embarrassed than because of the language. What a waste of her teachers’ valuable time. I really do think all teacher contracts need to have protections limiting teacher outside of classroom time/non-normal duty hours.

I truly hope this class action lawsuit works.

Old 09-01-2019, 08:29 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,139,370 times
Three cheers for that teacher.

In my district, they also "requested" (demanded) that some teachers on medical leave write lesson plans (including daily plans). In one case, the teacher, who was recovering from shoulder surgery, came to school from 6 AM to 8 AM each school day (before the students arrived) to write daily plans, prepare materials needed and handle paperwork. To me that seemed to be counter-productive to the healing process and standard medical advice.

Old 09-01-2019, 08:49 AM

If I had ever worked in that district in South Carolina I would throw my name on the list in a heartbeat.

Old 09-01-2019, 09:53 AM

110 posts, read 77,119 times
Quote:

LOL. My wife told many similar stories to me before she retired. "Her posse" is spot on. Once while waiting for a staff meeting to start, a fellow teacher mentioned to my wife that she heard she had been "written up". The teacher asked for what. My wife replied for using the word "crap", as in "don't turn in crap work". A certain minority parent had complained. Anyway, in this staff meeting with the principal present, this teacher, who had tenure, asked my wife "who is the idiot who wrote that up?" The principal got beet red and excused herself to go "take a phone call".

Last edited by toobusytoday; 09-04-2019 at 05:41 PM.. Reason: removed curse word

Old 09-01-2019, 10:14 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,374,216 times
I agree with her lawsuit.

Old 09-01-2019, 10:40 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,314,403 times
Quote:

I’m amazed the entire staff sat and waited for an hour. I wonder how large her “posse” was.

Old 09-01-2019, 10:50 AM

45,344 posts, read 60,522,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
I’m amazed the entire staff sat and waited for an hour. I wonder how large her “posse” was.
Oh, we were well trained. The reason why it was about the best high school in the system and no one wanted to get on the radar for intensive supervision and sent to one of the ghetto schools. The Association is/was worthless backing teachers on just about anything.

This was the Principal from whom I learned, in addition to Principal classes, the many ways possible to set up teachers to fail.

About 1/3 of the staff, so 20+/- were deputized for the posse.

Old 09-01-2019, 11:41 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,314,403 times
Quote:
Oh, we were well trained. The reason why it was about the best high school in the system and no one wanted to get on the radar for intensive supervision and sent to one of the ghetto schools. The Association is/was worthless backing teachers on just about anything.

This was the Principal from whom I learned, in addition to Principal classes, the many ways possible to set up teachers to fail.

About 1/3 of the staff, so 20+/- were deputized for the posse.
But good Lord, an hour? That’s nuts.

I’m fortunate that I’ve never had to have after school staff meetings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching