Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2022, 09:26 AM

102,193 posts, read 107,809,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Could you do another type of work or something part time?

This coming year is my 30th and I'll turn 52 just after the 23-24 school year starts. With 30 years I'm eligible for full state retirement, but our district's supplemental pension would be reduced unless I wait until age 55. Still debating whether to stop at 52 or continue.
Go for the full pension, heck yeah! You can stick it out 3 more years for a better-funded retirement, can't you? There are plenty of people who would practically kill to be able to retire at 55.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2022, 11:56 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,313,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
If he (or she) is where I think they are -- Fairfax County, Virginia -- trust me, it's not "pure hell" or anything close to it. Not even pure heck.

Yes. Correct.

If I retired from full time teaching I would still do something else afterwards.

Old 07-19-2022, 07:27 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,421,781 times
Quote:
Could you do another type of work or something part time?

This coming year is my 30th and I'll turn 52 just after the 23-24 school year starts. With 30 years I'm eligible for full state retirement, but our district's supplemental pension would be reduced unless I wait until age 55. Still debating whether to stop at 52 or continue.
I love working, and to be honest I still like teaching my 4th graders. I will probably do a side hustle when I do retire, and or work part-time at least. I won't just be able to sit at home.

Here in CA if a teacher has 30 years of service that helps bump up his or her retirement calculation. I could technically retire at age 56, but I will only be getting approximately 50 percent of my gross income. However, if I wait until age 59 or 60, I can get 75-80% of my income.

Old 07-25-2022, 08:05 PM

4,382 posts, read 4,231,916 times
In a couple of weeks I'll be stepping back into the classroom at the school where I retired after 29 years teaching French and math, but this time as a volunteer for the Microsoft TEALS Computer Science program for just first block. It will feel great to work with the kids without all the administrivia that goes along with being the teacher of record, not to mention the classroom management responsibilities. There are four of us tech volunteers (the other three online) to help the classroom teacher, who still has not been hired. The teacher that had been teaching the TEALS Intro class, my former colleague, has been moved to AP Computer Science. I'm concerned that I may be the only adult in the room with actual teaching experience.

In any case, I hope to get a coding job soon, so it will be great to leave the school after class to go to my "real job" while still being able to teach.

Old 07-26-2022, 06:13 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,313,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
In a couple of weeks I'll be stepping back into the classroom at the school where I retired after 29 years teaching French and math, but this time as a volunteer for the Microsoft TEALS Computer Science program for just first block. It will feel great to work with the kids without all the administrivia that goes along with being the teacher of record, not to mention the classroom management responsibilities. There are four of us tech volunteers (the other three online) to help the classroom teacher, who still has not been hired. The teacher that had been teaching the TEALS Intro class, my former colleague, has been moved to AP Computer Science. I'm concerned that I may be the only adult in the room with actual teaching experience.

In any case, I hope to get a coding job soon, so it will be great to leave the school after class to go to my "real job" while still being able to teach.
Are you willing to share how old you were when you retired with 29 years? Had you taught somewhere else previously?

Old 07-26-2022, 08:08 AM

4,382 posts, read 4,231,916 times
Quote:
Are you willing to share how old you were when you retired with 29 years? Had you taught somewhere else previously?
I was 61 with 36 years of teaching in all--5 years at a high-SES school, a semester at the alternative school, a year at a school that got re-constituted, and then 29 years where I retired, all in the same district.

I haven't had a job interview in 30 years. That will be interesting!

Old 06-06-2023, 08:40 AM

124 posts, read 48,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Educator1982 View Post
Just curious, after this crazy year, are you all staying or doing something else? I really enjoy teaching and want to stay, but I haven't completely made up my mind yet. I hope next year is better and much less "craziness". We will always deal with craziness but I'm hoping next year is smoother.
Seems like most school districts got a "dose of reality" when they wanted to impose all these restrictions on teachers via the government.

Bad move.

Teachers are smart and won't put up with BS.

In fact, I would argue that teaching is the last true profession with any grit. And this is despite the fact that they have hand cuffed teachers from being the true leaders that they are.

We are still pretty awesome individuals and make a huge difference in the communities we serve.

This is what has lead me to choose teaching over more pay in a corrupt and predatory corporate world that does not value true leadership or integrity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching