Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2022, 06:47 PM

11,632 posts, read 12,693,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
Staying in education technically, but it's corporate education (managing training and implementation). I have a Masters in Education from a good (but not top tier) school. Moving out of teaching is all about making the right connections with people, learning how to translate your teaching skills into corporate speak, and being able to sell yourself. I did all three of those and now I won't have to see the inside of a classroom ever again come June.

When I decided I really wanted out, I started seeking out connections with people in other fields. Luckily I live in New York and have friends across a wide variety of industries, so that was by far my biggest in-road to the corporate world.
I couldn't take the DOE either. I have nothing good to say about that corrupt nepotistic bloated organization.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2022, 06:50 PM

11,632 posts, read 12,693,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Considering the number of retired teachers we stay with while traveling (Probably 40 - 60% of our stays in Hospitality guest homes worldwide are with current or ex-teachers), They are very engaged, wide breath of interests and knowledge, and quite cognizant. Similar to farmers, Scientists, and librarians, who typically have very limited engagement with others during their careers, but are equally inquisitive. Teachers probably make up the majority of hosts, because they travel a lot, are interested in the adventures of others (Like to learn), and keeping their cognitive strength up! (And it offers them a way to travel for $20 / night WW) Of our stays last week, 100% were retired teachers, we had a great time together. No mental or social decline noticed or implied. While in Australia, we often met up with touring groups of retired teachers. (From Australia, Canada and UK). Lots of ways to stay sharp while retired! Attend some community concerts, drama, and practices and note the population of teachers among performers.
Australia has a good working environment for teachers-much better than the US. It's no wonder that all of the innovations in education usually start from either Australia or NZ. When they finally migrate to the US, the Americans usually muck it all up.

Old 05-19-2022, 07:26 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,839,259 times
Watched the HGTV show “House Hunters International” episode where a young TX teacher who loves to travel moved to Costa Rica, bought a SMALL apt for 55K, and works remotely—don’t know what kind of job

She talked about how her job was very stressful and she loved to travel and loves Costa Rica —speaks excellent Spanish from clips shown—
By the end, she had fallen in love and didn’t regret starting a “new” life…

Didn’t mention her district but from clip she was elementary teacher

Old 05-19-2022, 02:50 PM

313 posts, read 255,537 times
I'm in my 14th year and going strong. I make over $100k with my various stipends and love my students.

This year has been tough, yes, but it has been a WALK IN THE PARK compared to last year. Teaching on Zoom, uploading and grading on Google Classroom, being worried sick about kids that you could not reach and would not attend their Zooms (this is high school, so their grades still counted towards graduation). Then when we did come back having kids in masks that we only saw twice a week. Lesson planning last year was a nightmare-transferring all my paper/pencil Word documents to Google Docs and Google Forms. I worked every single weekend last year lesson planning, making Google Slides for my Zooms, and uploading all the upcoming weeks to Google Classroom.

Even with all the chaos and stress of 2020-2021, I had some HUGE successes with some of the students I work closely with. At the end of the year I was exhausted but it was so rewarding.

2021-22 has felt like a breeze after last year. No intentions of leaving.

Old 05-19-2022, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedSun25 View Post
I'm in my 14th year and going strong. I make over $100k with my various stipends and love my students.

This year has been tough, yes, but it has been a WALK IN THE PARK compared to last year. Teaching on Zoom, uploading and grading on Google Classroom, being worried sick about kids that you could not reach and would not attend their Zooms (this is high school, so their grades still counted towards graduation). Then when we did come back having kids in masks that we only saw twice a week. Lesson planning last year was a nightmare-transferring all my paper/pencil Word documents to Google Docs and Google Forms. I worked every single weekend last year lesson planning, making Google Slides for my Zooms, and uploading all the upcoming weeks to Google Classroom.

Even with all the chaos and stress of 2020-2021, I had some HUGE successes with some of the students I work closely with. At the end of the year I was exhausted but it was so rewarding.

2021-22 has felt like a breeze after last year. No intentions of leaving.
where do you teach to make that much?
And I imagine you have a union as well protecting your contracted rights

Old 05-20-2022, 11:57 AM

Washington State. And yes our union is phenomenal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
where do you teach to make that much?
And I imagine you have a union as well protecting your contracted rights

Old 05-20-2022, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Enlightened
I taught in TX and my daughter is in FL—neither are enlightened

How easy is it to be hired in good district?
My daughter is excellent teacher, has her Masters, been nominated for teacher of the year/superior reviews and has taught in G/T school grades 2-6 for past 14 yrs—Math primarily.
This year she moved from teaching to new position for her as testing coordinator and scheduler. Technically not an administrative job because she is still paid on her teaching ladder—
In administration, you lose your seniority at your school and could be reassigned by the district at their whim—she would sacrifice some money to stay at her current school…

Last edited by loves2read; 05-20-2022 at 12:11 PM..

Old 05-20-2022, 12:09 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,313,301 times
Quote:
Is the cost of living relatively high? Just curious.

Old 05-23-2022, 08:41 AM

It's reasonably high. Seattle is impossible. I live about an hour away from Seattle. I bought my home 11 years ago and our mortgage is only $1600 a month, so that helps a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Is the cost of living relatively high? Just curious.

Old 05-23-2022, 08:54 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,313,301 times
Quote:
It's reasonably high. Seattle is impossible. I live about an hour away from Seattle. I bought my home 11 years ago and our mortgage is only $1600 a month, so that helps a lot.
Thanks. That's not bad. I'm in northern VA, DC suburbs. We bought our house 13 years ago for $428k and our mortgage is about $2,600. This is my 29th year with the district and I'm at a little over $104k. I've been at the top of the MA+30 pay scale for a few years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching