Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2022, 07:35 PM

837 posts, read 505,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
I was the same way (trapped). I started out in a successful school, then busing came along and destroyed it. For years I wrestled with the thought of quitting, especially after a rough day, but I hung in there for 32 years. My city had 14 school districts so I couldn't move without taking a big hit and losing tenure.

Glad I stayed because now I have a decent pension that will support me for the rest of my life. Upon retirement, 8 years ago, I moved to an oceanfront condo in Maui. (Just paid it off yesterday. )

Currently, I substitute teach for pocket money and the kids are awesome here.

This is my 40th year in the classroom.
Luckily for me, I can eventually make a move. I relocated two years ago and lost my tenure. Now I'm working towards tenure in my new district. Once I have tenure, I can move schools within the district if I want. Honestly, I'm bored as much as anything else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2022, 01:24 PM

412 posts, read 275,337 times
I swore I was quitting last year, but I'm working as a long term substitute for behaviorally challenged students until the end of this year because a school that had an emergency opening that knew of my experience really wanted me to take it.

In June, I'm starting as a full time software developer and won't be returning to the classroom.

Old 05-06-2022, 03:28 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,824,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan777 View Post
I swore I was quitting last year, but I'm working as a long term substitute for behaviorally challenged students until the end of this year because a school that had an emergency opening that knew of my experience really wanted me to take it.

In June, I'm starting as a full time software developer and won't be returning to the classroom.
Win-win! Congratulations!

Old 05-14-2022, 06:19 AM

1,943 posts, read 1,487,542 times
I am finally quitting in 5 weeks after 8 years. I'm sick of being underpaid for the amount of work, the disrespect from parents and students, and the lack of respect from society. I came into the profession at 22 wanting to make a difference and help people. I've worked in everything from very poor inner-city schools to private schools in some of the wealthiest zip codes in the United States, and while the problems are different, they're equally draining. I've spent enough time trying to make a difference, and I've realized that society is a much stronger force than any individual, and I just don't see it being worth it anymore. It's time to focus on me, and let other people do the dirty work. I've done my time in the trenches. COVID exposed and exacerbated everything wrong with the crappy education system in America

I've spent this past year really planning my exit from the classroom, and luckily I've landed in a damn good job with a salary I can actually be comfortable on living in New York City.

I honestly can't help but feel anyone staying in the profession voluntarily at this point is either an angel or a complete sucker.

Old 05-14-2022, 11:34 AM

6,384 posts, read 4,824,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
I am finally quitting in 5 weeks after 8 years. I'm sick of being underpaid for the amount of work, the disrespect from parents and students, and the lack of respect from society. I came into the profession at 22 wanting to make a difference and help people. I've worked in everything from very poor inner-city schools to private schools in some of the wealthiest zip codes in the United States, and while the problems are different, they're equally draining. I've spent enough time trying to make a difference, and I've realized that society is a much stronger force than any individual, and I just don't see it being worth it anymore. It's time to focus on me, and let other people do the dirty work. I've done my time in the trenches. COVID exposed and exacerbated everything wrong with the crappy education system in America

I've spent this past year really planning my exit from the classroom, and luckily I've landed in a damn good job with a salary I can actually be comfortable on living in New York City.

I honestly can't help but feel anyone staying in the profession voluntarily at this point is either an angel or a complete sucker.
Not all of the public is hostile towards teachers. Unfortunately, the ones who usually speak out are the same ones who accuse us of being lazy, inept, slackers sucking up their tax dollars.

Whenever I read these complaints, I always ask the complainer why there is an acute and growing teacher shortage across America if it is such a great gig. They always "know" of some mythical district where teachers earn over 100k and have only 6 students, all of whom are failing.

Over the years, I've noticed that most of them haven't been on a school campus since they graduated (or failed) high school. For some reason, they believe that we don't want to be rid of the miscreants that prevent education for the rest. Regularly, they state that they would simply expel all of the troublemakers. As if we could!

Teacher Unions are most often the source of their wrath. You would think that teacher unions have more power than Congress.

For some reason, Cops, Corrections and Fire, all of whom are better paid, require less education, receive earlier retirement, and much larger pensions, don't get this type of disrespect.

Congratulations on your new career! I stuck with teaching and am now in my 40th year.

Old 05-17-2022, 09:13 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,839,259 times
Quote:

Speak to the job you are moving to—what field and responsibility level—
Did you major in education or another field?
That seems to be a real issue for teachers with experience and who are very good at their job making a transition into business world that pays more than entry level or values the skills they bring with them

Friend in her early 40s has been teaching in Houston area for more than decade—has her MS—has been coordinator in district, taught HS AP history in G/T STEM high school, and is currently teaching in her local elementary school so she has seen it all—
She is so tired of the TX GOP politics driving the educational agenda with bad policies that damage children—-and teachers—
Her husband makes a good salary but she would go stir crazy at home
Will be self-employed now working for friend who has AirBnB houses as her manager
Started an LLC so she can bill through there—has investment upside for them
Issue is all the money she has put into teacher retirement and how the SS laws work that penalize teachers drawing a pension that didn’t pay into SSA—her own earnings outside education and any spousal portion she might be entitled to in future are reduced because of what pension might come through her teacher’s pension—
She just has to wait to draw it until she is old enough
Or she can withdraw all from TRS and move into 403b IRA—but money drawn from that still has same drawbacks as pension from TRS…

The OP likely paid into SS and her NY teachers’ pension plan so maybe not same problem with new earnings from job outside education—but something g to consider for ANYONE who is in education with a state pension…

Old 05-17-2022, 09:23 AM

One comment I would make about teaching long term—
I wonder if anyone has done a study about the metal/cognitive strength of those who were long-term teachers like 20+ years when they retire and others same age who worked in other fields or maybe were stay at home mom/dads for most of their working years…
The teachers I know who taught until retirement age or even past it (some need the money, some need the insurance as poor as it is because they have dependent children) seem to have very good cognitive skills and less likely to develop Alzheimer’s or other cognitive problems w/o having some precipitating event like stroke

Anyone think that being in the classroom, verbally engaging with students and others, helps someone stay mentally alert in retirement?

Old 05-17-2022, 12:08 PM

1,943 posts, read 1,487,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Speak to the job you are moving to—what field and responsibility level—
Did you major in education or another field?
That seems to be a real issue for teachers with experience and who are very good at their job making a transition into business world that pays more than entry level or values the skills they bring with them
Staying in education technically, but it's corporate education (managing training and implementation). I have a Masters in Education from a good (but not top tier) school. Moving out of teaching is all about making the right connections with people, learning how to translate your teaching skills into corporate speak, and being able to sell yourself. I did all three of those and now I won't have to see the inside of a classroom ever again come June.

When I decided I really wanted out, I started seeking out connections with people in other fields. Luckily I live in New York and have friends across a wide variety of industries, so that was by far my biggest in-road to the corporate world.

Old 05-17-2022, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Staying in education technically, but it's corporate education (managing training and implementation). I have a Masters in Education from a good (but not top tier) school. Moving out of teaching is all about making the right connections with people, learning how to translate your teaching skills into corporate speak, and being able to sell yourself. I did all three of those and now I won't have to see the inside of a classroom ever again come June.

When I decided I really wanted out, I started seeking out connections with people in other fields. Luckily I live in New York and have friends across a wide variety of industries, so that was by far my biggest in-road to the corporate world.
Yes—my son and daughter both went into education
When my son went for his Masters he intended to get PhD and teach in college but he wasn’t in top tier school and waited too long to make that choice
Tried to encourage him to get his Masters in curriculum design/communications vs in English but he wouldn’t listen to practical mom—wound up not getting PhD and going into content/media design for several iterations of an on-line tutorial company

He could have had much better job if he had gotten his Masters in area of education more focused on business market
His wife dropped out of her PhD program because of medical reason and went to work for his company too—they and their depts were laid off a year apart when company wanted to purge an out of state office

NYC is good area for that type of work
Companies training new people, adopting new systems and policies need education design dept

Good luck—

Old 05-17-2022, 12:35 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,012,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
One comment I would make about teaching long term—
I wonder if anyone has done a study about the metal/cognitive strength of those who were long-term teachers like 20+ years when they retire and others same age who worked in other fields or maybe were stay at home mom/dads for most of their working years…
The teachers I know who taught until retirement age or even past it (some need the money, some need the insurance as poor as it is because they have dependent children) seem to have very good cognitive skills and less likely to develop Alzheimer’s or other cognitive problems w/o having some precipitating event like stroke

Anyone think that being in the classroom, verbally engaging with students and others, helps someone stay mentally alert in retirement?
Considering the number of retired teachers we stay with while traveling (Probably 40 - 60% of our stays in Hospitality guest homes worldwide are with current or ex-teachers), They are very engaged, wide breath of interests and knowledge, and quite cognizant. Similar to farmers, Scientists, and librarians, who typically have very limited engagement with others during their careers, but are equally inquisitive. Teachers probably make up the majority of hosts, because they travel a lot, are interested in the adventures of others (Like to learn), and keeping their cognitive strength up! (And it offers them a way to travel for $20 / night WW) Of our stays last week, 100% were retired teachers, we had a great time together. No mental or social decline noticed or implied. While in Australia, we often met up with touring groups of retired teachers. (From Australia, Canada and UK). Lots of ways to stay sharp while retired! Attend some community concerts, drama, and practices and note the population of teachers among performers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching