Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2022, 08:43 AM

50,770 posts, read 24,270,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
It's not only the money. School policies are against the teachers.
What do you mean by "school policies".

One day when I was principal I had a teacher to say to me that, "my number one job was to make teachers happy". I hate to tell you this, but such a responsibility wasn't to be found anywhere in my contract or job description.

What a lot of this comes down to is that most human beings don't like having a boss.

As a teacher, did I like having a school-based administrator (in fact several) be my boss? No.
As a vice-principal did I like having a principal as my boss? No.
As a principal did I like having multiple assistant superintendents be my boss? No.
As assistant superintendents did they like having the primary superintendent as a boss? No.
Did the superintendent like having the school board as his boss? No.

But that's life. If you don't want a boss, become an independent contractor.

Old 11-13-2022, 10:02 AM

25 posts, read 11,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
What do you mean by "school policies".

One day when I was principal I had a teacher to say to me that, "my number one job was to make teachers happy". I hate to tell you this, but such a responsibility wasn't to be found anywhere in my contract or job description.

What a lot of this comes down to is that most human beings don't like having a boss.

As a teacher, did I like having a school-based administrator (in fact several) be my boss? No.
As a vice-principal did I like having a principal as my boss? No.
As a principal did I like having multiple assistant superintendents be my boss? No.
As assistant superintendents did they like having the primary superintendent as a boss? No.
Did the superintendent like having the school board as his boss? No.

But that's life. If you don't want a boss, become an independent contractor.
I totally agree with regard to many teachers not wanting to have bosses. At our final staff meeting before the first day of school, our principal tried to put a cellphone proposal up to a vote. I hate votes at work. I spoke up and told him that he should make the decision. He did. I want a boss. He's paid six-figures to make decisions, not to put them up for votes.

That said, if you don't make your good and middling teachers happy, you will be in a lot of trouble. Sure, in wealthier districts, where teachers are pining to work, you can probably get away without this mindset for a time, but at the vast majority of public schools, you will suffer if you don't. Unlike most of my colleagues, I had jobs outside of education and came to it late. Just as teachers are often out of touch with what private sector employees deal with, so are administrators out of touch with what private employers must do. They figured out the "make employees happy" puzzle a long time ago. I've worked at a school that had the "love it or leave it" philosophy and one that tries to make its teachers happy. Unsurprisingly, the latter's test scores rise, while the former's drop. The former school was one of the best high schools in the state...20 years ago. No longer are teachers pining to get into that district. No longer is the community as idyllic as it once was alleged to have been. Whereas 15 years ago, 300 people applied for teaching jobs, they now have a dozen applicants. Word gets around.

Make your people happy. A grocery store where I grew up had a sign out front in the lobby: "Happy employees, happy customers." The store manager stated that you cannot have the latter without the former. He was right.

Old 11-13-2022, 01:30 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,270,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomifireballkid View Post
I totally agree with regard to many teachers not wanting to have bosses. At our final staff meeting before the first day of school, our principal tried to put a cellphone proposal up to a vote. I hate votes at work. I spoke up and told him that he should make the decision. He did. I want a boss. He's paid six-figures to make decisions, not to put them up for votes.

That said, if you don't make your good and middling teachers happy, you will be in a lot of trouble. Sure, in wealthier districts, where teachers are pining to work, you can probably get away without this mindset for a time, but at the vast majority of public schools, you will suffer if you don't. Unlike most of my colleagues, I had jobs outside of education and came to it late. Just as teachers are often out of touch with what private sector employees deal with, so are administrators out of touch with what private employers must do. They figured out the "make employees happy" puzzle a long time ago. I've worked at a school that had the "love it or leave it" philosophy and one that tries to make its teachers happy. Unsurprisingly, the latter's test scores rise, while the former's drop. The former school was one of the best high schools in the state...20 years ago. No longer are teachers pining to get into that district. No longer is the community as idyllic as it once was alleged to have been. Whereas 15 years ago, 300 people applied for teaching jobs, they now have a dozen applicants. Word gets around.

Make your people happy. A grocery store where I grew up had a sign out front in the lobby: "Happy employees, happy customers." The store manager stated that you cannot have the latter without the former. He was right.
I think there's a balance to be had.

Old 11-13-2022, 04:41 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,313,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
How long do you have to work before you retire?
Perhaps the end of this school year. It will be within the next three. Why do you ask?

Old 11-13-2022, 04:49 PM

899 posts, read 670,073 times
I taught for many years and still sub. I wish schools would spend money to get more security personnel who could do jobs like playground supervision, hall duty, etc. instead of making teachers do it. Let teachers focus on teaching. The extra security personnel would increase the adult to student ratio in the building as well, curtailing some of the nonsense in the hallways and restrooms etc.

Old 11-13-2022, 06:27 PM

5,010 posts, read 10,686,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
It's not the money, it's the working conditions.
Not for me it isn’t. I just won’t put up with all of the nonsense for 60k. But I would for 100k.

Old 11-25-2022, 10:42 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,421,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Perhaps the end of this school year. It will be within the next three. Why do you ask?
I was just curious. I have about a minimum of 3 years to go. I will be 59 or work another year and retire at age 60 with 34 years of service.

Old 11-26-2022, 02:14 AM

24,096 posts, read 32,443,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Money would help, but not assure teacher retention.

Most teachers have a passion and skillset to transfer knowledge.

As mentioned.... The working conditions, and attitude of parents and students may not align with the task of teachers to deliver an education.

It's a societal issue in the USA.

Money can't fix it.
Actually, money can fix many problems. This is one. If teachers all over the US were paid a wage consistent with their education and what they do - which is teach our children, it would help. In the prestigious school district on Long Island's moneyed Gold Coast, The North Shore, most of the teachers didn't earn enough to enough to live in the Three Villages. I think that's sad, especially because many of the teachers are graduates of the Three Village District, loved it, and returned to teach.

The pressure that so many teachers have today in most districts to supply students with paper, notebooks, colored pencils, erasers, and other school supplies. When many of us were growing up, items were supplied by the school district. Take scissors - we were given scissors a pair ro you, and we used them and when r=the box was full, they were put away,

To be fair, I don't remember ever needing or using colored pencils. Perhaps to fill in the places on a map?

Money is being mismanaged in some way, because there were children who were poor in my elementary school. I NEVER remember then not having the items that were needed,

Old 11-26-2022, 07:33 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,313,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
I was just curious. I have about a minimum of 3 years to go. I will be 59 or work another year and retire at age 60 with 34 years of service.
This is my 30th year with my district, which gets me to full retirement with the state. I’ll be 52. We have an additional county pension which I can draw, but it would be reduced.

I won’t completely retire from working, but plan on doing something part time or somehow lessening the workload.

Old 11-26-2022, 07:56 AM

12,836 posts, read 9,033,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Actually, money can fix many problems. This is one. If teachers all over the US were paid a wage consistent with their education and what they do - which is teach our children, it would help. In the prestigious school district on Long Island's moneyed Gold Coast, The North Shore, most of the teachers didn't earn enough to enough to live in the Three Villages. I think that's sad, especially because many of the teachers are graduates of the Three Village District, loved it, and returned to teach.
What would that wage be?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching