Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2024, 06:11 AM

5,010 posts, read 10,686,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
https://www.nytimes.com/2024/02/19/u...smid=url-share

Another article on teachers taking more days off and not enough subs to cover the classes. The comments are more interesting than the article. I could've added some better examples such as a school having 25% of their teachers out and one sub available. Students are sent to study halls in the cafeteria. Some students have spent four class periods a day in cafeteria study halls.
And? What’s the problem?

This is specifically occurring at high schools, as administrators realize that it’s not only possible but more cost-effective to have one sub sit with several classes as opposed to one class. It’s actually a testament to student behavior and engagement. And it isn’t an issue because the students are often completing coursework assigned remotely by their teacher. It isn’t as if the sub is actually teaching several classes of students. Rather, they’re just an adult presence in the room to make sue that students are present and accounted for. I’ve been that sub on many occasions and you *literally* just take attendance, then sit there all day long while the students quietly complete work independently on their computers. Those students rarely ask anything of the sub because, quite frankly, they don’t need anything from them.

Just because a student spends several periods a day in study halls doesn’t mean they aren’t learning by completing work for their classes. In fact, a lot of teachers time their absences to align with student “work days.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2024, 08:14 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,928,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartNox18 View Post
No longer REQUIRED + The 'entitled' generation
Some of that is also toxic. People are finding out that bending over and taking it from the boss doesn't get them a reward of any kind. They're taking care of themselves more. Does that mean people should be skipping work or calling in sick with the sniffles? No. Does it mean people shouldn't work hard? No But maybe having a balance is a good idea.

By the way, the word is getting overused to the point if being meaningless. Find another one.

Old 02-21-2024, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
During much of my career, teachers received 10 sick days per year. Towards the end, it climbed to 11.
I retired with 240 unused sick days which nets me about $240 per month for life. Not a great return, but something.

Teachers in my current district receive 20 sick days per year and many use all of them every year, and more.
For some, teaching is their secondary income stream. They work at higher-paying jobs and teach mainly to earn a pension.
What the hell jobs are they doing on the side to make more money?

Old 02-21-2024, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Work/Life Balance was not a 'thing' 40 yrs ago.

But it probably should have been.

Recent hires (and my own kids) definitely have a handle on better segregating and investing time in work. (And play).

Not lazy, but very different work (employment) intensity.

Work hard
Play hard.

Many new hires in industry now negotiate 'unlimited' time off. (Sick or vacation). My kids all have that perk. "Oh, I'm in South America, we can meet you in Amsterdam by the end of next week". Probably not gonna cut it with school administrators. But... We don't really need administrators or teachers in this current information rich age. (Or school buildings, buses, cafeterias, sports arenas, parking lots...)
Oh , the ignorant stuff you spew out.

Old 02-21-2024, 08:28 AM

206 posts, read 134,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Some of that is also toxic. People are finding out that bending over and taking it from the boss doesn't get them a reward of any kind. ...
What is your payroll? (How many paychecks do you write / month to support families?)

Old 02-21-2024, 08:36 AM

50,770 posts, read 24,270,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
That would be more or less the same thing.

I don't know, I found that taking a day off was usually more work than going in. I had one year I was out of the building, not sick but at various meetings, over thirty days. That year kicked my ass. Only two of those days were "mine", as it were.

And the kicker was that for at least half the meetings it was supposed to be the Principal or Vice-Principal attending, not a teacher/department head.

Now I will say that it made more sense for me to go to a lot of them rather than an Administrator.
I think the funniest that I recall when I was a vice-principal was the English teacher who took a week's sick leave for some supposed serious medical condition. Then...oops...her picture was in the "Washington Post" for attending an international kite flying event in Japan. That got her docked a week's pay since she had used all her personal leave days previously.

Old 02-21-2024, 08:38 AM

50,770 posts, read 24,270,853 times
Quote:
Oh , the ignorant stuff you spew out.
I agree.

Old 02-21-2024, 09:00 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,313,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I graduated from high school in 1973 and it was rare to have a sub. My track coach taught math and missed one day in 35 years. He went to his mother's funeral. My father-in-law also taught math. He took off the morning my sister-in-law was born. He returned to school for the afternoon.

I've subbed nine days this year for a teacher who went on ski trip and another who went on a cruise. Teachers are also out of the classroom for training both in the district and outside the district. When my daughter taught in Florida, she was required to go to training after the school day was over.
That’s not something I find admirable.

Old 02-21-2024, 09:11 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,313,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I think the funniest that I recall when I was a vice-principal was the English teacher who took a week's sick leave for some supposed serious medical condition. Then...oops...her picture was in the "Washington Post" for attending an international kite flying event in Japan. That got her docked a week's pay since she had used all her personal leave days previously.
That’s fair.

We earn about 13 days of leave a year, 5 of which can be used for personal leave. I retired last year with about 1,300 hours of unused leave. I really didn’t need to save that much leave, but in retirement it amounts to an additional $140 or so/month. The plan I’m under added the unused leave to the years of service.

Newer hires (as in hired in the past 20 years or so) don’t receive the same benefit. For them any unused leave is forfeited when they leave the district or retire. It’s basically use it or lose it so they may as well use it.

I do think I should have used it more when I was younger. Later in my career I was using more of it (at least the 5 annual personal days) to attend my own child’s high school and college activities.

Old 02-21-2024, 09:33 AM

6,384 posts, read 4,824,868 times
Quote:
What the hell jobs are they doing on the side to make more money?
Construction, Resort employee, waitress, bartender, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching