Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2024, 09:22 AM

43,153 posts, read 18,306,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
It's a toxic Baby Boomer attitude. Then they think anyone younger is lazy. Nope. Sorry, I don't live to work.
The younger generations seem to be taking a more European attitude towards work

I think that's a good thing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2024, 10:22 AM

206 posts, read 137,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post

They'll love the European taxes that go along with that choice.
or...
They could move to Europe to get the 'full taste version'! +/-

Lots are doing it. (Except those here who complain, and do NOTHING to improve their life, or the lives of others).

Old 02-24-2024, 12:19 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,958,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartNox18 View Post
They'll love the European taxes that go along with that choice.
or...
They could move to Europe to get the 'full taste version'! +/-

Lots are doing it. (Except those here who complain, and do NOTHING to improve their life, or the lives of others).
Just stop. Politics doesn't need to be brought into every damn duscussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post

It is a very good thing.

Old 02-24-2024, 12:28 PM

45,444 posts, read 60,653,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Just stop. Politics doesn't need to be brought into every damn duscussion.........
What was "political" in that statement?

Old 02-24-2024, 01:13 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,675,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Do you see the hell Teachers get these days? Politicians, Parents all blame Teachers for everything. Teachers aren't allowed to Teach and more they must follow curriculum dictated by Politicians who know crap . I do not Teach but my Family does and has for Decades and it sure as hell not for the money or Days off! You complain Teachers are taking days off, by law if they have covid they must and God forbid Teachers who are with 25-30- or more Children a day (depending on school and age group) get sick , sorry if it's inconvenient to others if a Teacher gets covid or the flu,pink -eye or lice from a child that a lazy parent sent to school becuase they wanted a day without kids! Yes, Teachers good ones are leaving and not so good ones are taking their place and the sad part is there are no subs to even help out when the bad ones get sick.
We pay Dr's, we pay Lawyers, we pay Plumbers but we pay Teachers like crap and people want to know why no one wants to be a Teacher ? Three reasons, Politicians, Parents and Pay, that is why there is a big Teacher shortage today in this Country.
I've seen some of the hell that teachers get these days. I've subbed for over a decade in over a dozen school districts in four counties. I've done seven long-term sub jobs. I've also coached basketball. I've had a few issues with parents like the one who thought I was hurting her 9th grades son's chance for a college scholarship because I wouldn't round his grade up one point to an A.

OTOH, I have been a long-term sub for civics and history and I have been allowed to teach whatever I want. I have taught both 8th grade and 12 grade civics and discussed political issues such as gun control and abortion. The worst I had was when two students in the same class complained. One said I was too liberal and the other said I was too conservative.

I didn't complain teachers are taking days off. I simply posted the link to the article and mentioned what I have personally seen. No one is complaining that teachers are taking time off when sick, especially with Covid. One school where I sub has had a lot of mild Covid cases and the teachers were told to isolate for 5 days. This no longer applies per the CDC. They are now being told they can return to work if they are fever-free for at least 24 hours without the aid of medication and their symptoms are mild and improving.

I was a long-term sub through the worst of Covid and we were either in school or I taught online. The worst was a hybrid where I had both students in the classroom and online with Google Meet.

I live in an area where there is not a shortage of teachers in most subjects. Most districts pay a good salary and the teachers have good benefits. It varies a great deal between districts. I don't see many teachers leaving the profession. In fact, I'm only aware of one. Many retire earlier than most other jobs. Most teachers have retired before they hit age 60.

I will also point out that while bost teachers are dedicated and do a good job, I've seen some teachers who are just going through the motions. This is nothing new. I had some teachers like this when I was in school over 50 years ago. I've seen a few that I can't figure out how they get through an observation.

If you want to compare teachers to another profession, try nursing. Nurses have a much more difficult job and require much ongoing training. The need for nurses is growing fast than the need for teachers. The population is aging and elderly people are much more likely to be in the hospital or in nursing homes. Many nurses are leaving their jobs because the job is physically and mentally challenging. Most nurses also have to work shifts and holidays. And nurses also get hell from patients, their families, doctors, and other nurses.

Old 02-24-2024, 01:13 PM

50,874 posts, read 24,371,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
What was "political" in that statement?
I agree. I didn't see it as political. I saw it as a lifestyle comment.

Old 02-24-2024, 07:17 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,642,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
I am one of those subs who sits in our high school cafeteria every day, supervising 2-9 classes. I taught history for 32 years, then retired and started subbing as a "part-time" job. It became full-time due to the extreme need and I'm now in my 10th year. Most of the subs who keep our schools operating are retired teachers.

I am at school more days each year than many of the permanent teachers, yet I work for a fraction of what they are paid. Fortunately, I don't need the money, like staying active, and enjoy the kids I teach.

What has happened to the work ethic that us baby boomers grew up respecting?
More relevant question: What has happened to the respect that students used to have for adults in positions of authority?

Old 02-24-2024, 07:51 PM

12,855 posts, read 9,071,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
More relevant question: What has happened to the respect that students used to have for adults in positions of authority?
I don't think they are that much different than we were. The nature of how people talk on the internet or in the media emphasizes the negative. You don't hear the kids who don't cause trouble because that isn't news. It isn't exciting. People don't complain about the kids who are doing homework. Or being athletes. You don't hear about the Scout of the Year or the school club that picked up trash alongside the lake. Or the JROTC kids who take pride in presenting the Colors at a football game. Who even knows the kid next door that just shipped out overseas?

Old 02-24-2024, 08:15 PM

50,874 posts, read 24,371,727 times
I am old now. And it may surprise some of you, but on those somewhat rare occasions now when I find myself among teens, they have been very respectful.

Old 02-24-2024, 08:39 PM

5,454 posts, read 7,754,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
Kids today are actually better than my generation (1980s) on virtually any metric you want to use.

Higher graduation rates and test scores
Higher college attendance and graduation
Lower rates of crime and violence
Lower rates of teen pregnancy
Lower rates of substance abuse

I think you forget how things used to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching