Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2024, 09:34 AM

50,770 posts, read 24,270,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
That’s fair.

We earn about 13 days of leave a year, 5 of which can be used for personal leave. I retired last year with about 1,300 hours of unused leave. I really didn’t need to save that much leave, but in retirement it amounts to an additional $140 or so/month. The plan I’m under added the unused leave to the years of service.

Newer hires (as in hired in the past 20 years or so) don’t receive the same benefit. For them any unused leave is forfeited when they leave the district or retire. It’s basically use it or lose it so they may as well use it.

I do think I should have used it more when I was younger. Later in my career I was using more of it (at least the 5 annual personal days) to attend my own child’s high school and college activities.
In our system (at least at the time) it didn't go toward retirement, but you did get paid a certain amount per days with unused days. In my case it was several thousand dollars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2024, 09:45 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,313,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
In our system (at least at the time) it didn't go toward retirement, but you did get paid a certain amount per days with unused days. In my case it was several thousand dollars.
In my career that was only the case for those who earned annual leave.

Old 02-21-2024, 09:46 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,928,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
Construction, Resort employee, waitress, bartender, etc.
They're not making more at those jobs than as a teacher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartNox18 View Post
What is your payroll? (How many paychecks do you write / month to support families?)
What the hell are you talking about?

Old 02-21-2024, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
In my career that was only the case for those who earned annual leave.
We were also limited, however, to how much leave we could build up.

Old 02-21-2024, 09:57 AM

21,830 posts, read 25,109,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
https://www.nytimes.com/2024/02/19/u...smid=url-share

Another article on teachers taking more days off and not enough subs to cover the classes. The comments are more interesting than the article. I could've added some better examples such as a school having 25% of their teachers out and one sub available. Students are sent to study halls in the cafeteria. Some students have spent four class periods a day in cafeteria study halls.
Most places don't pay subs so not a surprise. It used to be an okay retirement job where you'd occasionally get called in, get enough money to have a nice dinner at a restaurant, but the hours were too infrequent and pay way too low to really attract anyone except for people who were in school to become teachers or retired people. But now you don't need to be credentialed to be a teacher anymore so the aspiring teachers aren't subbing anymore as they're teaching. The schools don't discipline and expel the kids so it's not worth the money for the retired to put up with it.

Last edited by Malloric; 02-21-2024 at 10:20 AM..

Old 02-21-2024, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Most places don't pay subs so not a surprise. It used to be an okay retirement job where you'd occasionally get called in, get enough money to have a nice dinner at a restaurant, but the hours were too infrequent and pay way too low to really attract anyone except for people who were in school to become teachers or retired people. But now you don't need to be credentialed to be a teacher anymore so the aspiring teachers aren't subbing anymore as they're teaching. The schools don't discipline and expel the kids so it's not worth the money for the retired to put up with it.
Huh? What does that mean?

In regard to the number of students who need to be expelled, while that varies by the kind of school you're in, there's something wrong if huge numbers of students are being expelled.

Old 02-21-2024, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Correct. Annual leave is limited to how much can be accrued annually. Excess is converted to sick leave.

Annual leave may be accumulated as follows:
1. A maximum of 240 hours annually during the first ten years of service.
2. A maximum of 320 hours annually after ten years of service.

Annual leave accumulated in excess of the maximum amounts shall be converted to sick leave as follows:
1. On June 30 of each fiscal year for all employees paid monthly.
2. At the end of the pay period that includes June 30 for all employees paid biweekly.

This is the current payout policy:

PAYMENT OF UNUSED ANNUAL LEAVE
A. Upon termination of employment, or transfer to a nonannual-leave-eligible position, an employee shall be paid for his or her accumulated annual leave balance. The rate at which the annual leave balance is to be paid is based on the rate of pay at the time of termination or the rate of pay of the 12-month position prior to the transfer. The annual leave payout will be processed as a separate paycheck following the last regular 12-month payment. Employees hired on or after July 1, 1998, into an annual leave-eligible position, including employees already working for the school system but not eligible to earn annual leave, will not be paid for any leave in excess of the applicable caps (see section VII., Accumulation and Conversion of Annual Leave). Any annual leave in excess of the applicable cap will be converted to sick leave.

Old 02-21-2024, 11:29 AM

Quote:
My main Point though is that teachers under the “newer” retirement plans really have no reason to accumulate large amounts of leave.

Old 02-21-2024, 11:54 AM

206 posts, read 134,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
Construction, Resort employee, waitress, bartender, etc.
  • Writing apps
  • Tutoring
  • Stock trading
  • Consulting
  • Commissioned Sales
  • Inventing new products
  • Tour guides for private clients (during summer breaks). Pretty common side gig (paid travel + tips)
  • Nanny / private tutor for the ultra rich
  • side business. One teacher friend does epoxy floor finishes for commercial places like Home Depot / Lowes / Costco. Must do it in the middle of the night and on weekends... PERFECT timing for a teacher - by - weekday.

Old 02-21-2024, 11:54 AM

1,796 posts, read 2,228,125 times
Every district is different with leave. I switched districts and the old district would have paid me ZERO on unused leave. I took a bunch of "sick days" before I left as a result.
Other districts are not that way at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching