Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Tornadoes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 12:35 PM

83,556 posts, read 75,454,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
In those news reports, people commented about why do we build our homes with what seems flimsy materials and methods. I thought I'd comment here about that....so here goes a bit of a rant....

Great post and I agree. Without getting into a political aspect of it (economy/inflation doesnt let people afford better quality) I will just add a fact.

Hurricane straps were optional up until Andrew in 1992. Following that disaster, the straps were mandatory and now used in most (if not) every state.

And Earthquake resistant buildings in California.

I am now 100% sure there will be something mandated from the Tornadoes past couple years. But what?

Good info on that building withstanding 200mph winds but for homeowners (some in trailers in Tornado Alley) it's not going to happen unfortunetly.

I'm thinking storm cellers will be mandatory for each property since underground is the only way to beat a Tornado.

The other thing I cant wait for is the mandation of text alerts to be sent to everyone who has a phone number. So this way they can be shopping or in a car and they will get a text alert about a Tornado Warning heading towards them. Its a simple thing.

I'm signed up for alerts. EVERYONE NEEDS TO BE.

The Weather Channel Text Alerts (not for Sprint subscribers)Text Messaging

Accuweather Email alert(if you have a smart phone you'll get the email alert on there)
AccuWeather.com Alerts™ Email (http://www.accuweather.com/alerts/index.asp - broken link)

USA Weather Text Alerts
weatherUSA - Free Weather Alerts for Text Message and E-mail
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2012, 01:18 PM

26,231 posts, read 49,100,094 times
Cambrium, thanks, we're on the same sheet of music...

I like the alert system, i.e., the "new" form of sirens.....

I like the "ICE" feature on my phone too, which is "In Case of Emergency" so that if I'm unconscious, the EMTs can poke the ICE button on my phone and get to my wife asap. IIRC, we imported that feature from Europe, which is where we get a lot of good things.

As far as homes go, we can use stronger materials, like 2x6s instead of 2x4s, tie them into the top/bottom plates with metal reinforcements, or use metal stud framing, or use more steel, concrete and brick. Roofs can be done differently too, like hip roofs that have a very reduced wind profile, compared to our peaked roofs that are little more that a sail waiting for a wind to take them away.

Homes in tornado areas ought to have sturdy basements as a standard feature and those basements should have a standard underground storm room with a means of exit, space for homeowners to put in a shelving unit that can hold 3 days worth of water, food, lights, first aid kit, etc, and there should be a five gallon toilet can with a tight-fitting lid ('nuff said).

I hate to stick big brother into the picture, but IMO local Fire Departments should inspect EVERY home in their jurisdiction for adequate fire and CO2 alarms, and in tornado alley they'd further inspect to see if underground storm rooms are present and properly stocked. Those who fail would be reported to their insurance company, who'd raise rates on those who aren't adequately concerned with the safety of their family. Individual modular / mobile homes without basements would be required to have a storm shelter, and operators of such trailer parks (in tornado alley) would have to provide the shelters as a community resource. It's a bit grumpy of me to say, but IMO most of us Americans are cheap slackers who whine about having to do common sense things, but are the first to expect emergency first responders to risk their lives for them and/or expect the same government they hate to provide safe shelter and make them whole if they suffer damage.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 03-04-2012, 01:53 PM

1,320 posts, read 3,704,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Great post and I agree. Without getting into a political aspect of it (economy/inflation doesnt let people afford better quality) I will just add a fact.

Hurricane straps were optional up until Andrew in 1992. Following that disaster, the straps were mandatory and now used in most (if not) every state.

And Earthquake resistant buildings in California.

I am now 100% sure there will be something mandated from the Tornadoes past couple years. But what?

Good info on that building withstanding 200mph winds but for homeowners (some in trailers in Tornado Alley) it's not going to happen unfortunetly.

I'm thinking storm cellers will be mandatory for each property since underground is the only way to beat a Tornado.

The other thing I cant wait for is the mandation of text alerts to be sent to everyone who has a phone number. So this way they can be shopping or in a car and they will get a text alert about a Tornado Warning heading towards them. Its a simple thing.

I'm signed up for alerts. EVERYONE NEEDS TO BE.

The Weather Channel Text Alerts (not for Sprint subscribers)Text Messaging

Accuweather Email alert(if you have a smart phone you'll get the email alert on there)
AccuWeather.com Alerts™ Email (http://www.accuweather.com/alerts/index.asp - broken link)

USA Weather Text Alerts
weatherUSA - Free Weather Alerts for Text Message and E-mail
While you make some good points( you make a lot of good ones), I would be very worried about having any type of government mandates to have tornado warnings sent to every phone. Remember, for every tornado warning issued, only a small number ever produce a tornado. I am not in any way trying to diminish these warnings, or the people who lost lives. But for every tornado warning that verifies, there are hundreds that don't produce an actual tornado. If we sent these to everyone on the road, I would be worried that people would panic, drive crazy, trying to get out of harms way, cause an accident or deaths, when in this case, the warning was a doppler indicated tornado, and never reached the ground.

The other worry would be people would become very passive with " the sky is falling", yet another tornado warning and nothing happened. We have a local station here that runs every weather advisory, bulletin, specail weather statement to the point I just look at the channel number, see it's them and tune out.

Old 03-04-2012, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdcdguy View Post
While you make some good points( you make a lot of good ones), I would be very worried about having any type of government mandates to have tornado warnings sent to every phone. Remember, for every tornado warning issued, only a small number ever produce a tornado. I am not in any way trying to diminish these warnings, or the people who lost lives. But for every tornado warning that verifies, there are hundreds that don't produce an actual tornado. If we sent these to everyone on the road, I would be worried that people would panic, drive crazy, trying to get out of harms way, cause an accident or deaths, when in this case, the warning was a doppler indicated tornado, and never reached the ground.

The other worry would be people would become very passive with " the sky is falling", yet another tornado warning and nothing happened. We have a local station here that runs every weather advisory, bulletin, specail weather statement to the point I just look at the channel number, see it's them and tune out.
I thought about that but I'd rather be aware of something than not. If it doesnt happen consider it lucky but at least you knew. I was watching webcams out in Kentucky and there were so many cars on the road that most of them didnt even know a storm was coming. I think its more about being aware then creating a panic. Maybe people can better educate themselves that Warning means likely. Watches mean possible.

You do make a valid concern though.

As far as being passive, the alerts via links I provided are only sent when NWS issues the Watches or Warnings or Advisories. I wouldnt suggest signing up for local stations like you said, who knows if they send their own opinions.

Quick story:: I was splitting firewood one summer day not knowing a severe storm was coming. (I look at radar, models, and news everyday but didnt think it was going to be severe that day). When I took a break I had an alert message waiting. *Tornado Watch for my area*. (RARE).. Even though it was a watch, I wrapped everything up and started checking on things and sending messages to friends and family nearby. Clouds darkened but no Tornado. At least I was ready.

Old 03-05-2012, 02:54 AM

1,320 posts, read 3,704,852 times
And I do think there is a place for technology concerning severe weather. I love having radar on my phone. It is so handy. I am sure as time goes along, there will be a way to inform everyone without causing major panic.

Old 03-05-2012, 04:52 PM

Tornado Talk - Next Storm Will Bring Snow -Spring Fever - Henry Margusity - YouTube

Original Link.
http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-blogs/meteomadness/next-storm-will-bring-snow-and-more-storms/62397 (broken link)

Old 03-06-2012, 04:46 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,556,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Has a big city ever been effected in the downtown, amongst high rise etc?
Near me, Springfield (largest city in Western MA) got a EF3 tornado through its center downtown this year. Not exactly a big city though it has big buildings and wasn't devastated, sill impressive looking.

25 Stunning Photos Of The Springfield, Mass. Tornado

Old 03-07-2012, 06:14 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,499,887 times
So far only 57 tornadoes have been confirmed in this outbreak but a couple of them were very destructive

EF4 Southern Indiana, 11 deaths, path length of 49 miles

Tornado goin through Pekin In. highway 60 3/2/2012 - YouTube

EF3 Eastern Kentucky, 10 deaths, path length of 93 miles

Amazing footage Tornado West Liberty Kentucky 3/2/12 - YouTube

Lots of other tornadoes with path lengths over 10 miles!

Old 03-07-2012, 11:08 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,915,350 times
Thirteen of the twenty-three people who died in Kentucky during the tornado outbreak were in trailers. I do think that anyone chosing this kind of housing would be very well advised to use tie-downs or to have a storm cellar nearby for just such situations. Lives would be saved.

I have not yet heard how many of the over 300 people who were seriously injured were in mobile homes.

Old 03-15-2012, 04:40 PM

5,296 posts, read 7,242,522 times
Possible tornado?

Michigan > Washtenaw (County)

Washtenaw County Sheriff, Police and Fire Live Scanner Audio Feed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Tornadoes