Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2022, 11:59 AM

5,874 posts, read 6,940,842 times

Advertisements

Just wanted to throw out a data point for anyone looking to renew a passport.

I sent in my old passport on April 15th and received the new passport on May 14th - just about one month. I did pay the extra $60 for expedited service. (I have not yet received my old passport back - but that is not important to me.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2022, 12:47 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,567,076 times
They are still claiming max 10 days (normal service) at US consulate of many countries in Europe and Latin America.

We are currently verifying this in Albania, no envelopes or anything just walk up service dropped $130 USD cash and a filled out form at the window easy peasy. We should get an email this week that we can return to pick up the new passports, will update the thread if actually happens. If not we shall remain here consuming feta cheese and olives until we get them.

Old 05-17-2022, 06:09 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,593,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
They are still claiming max 10 days (normal service) at US consulate of many countries in Europe and Latin America.

We are currently verifying this in Albania, no envelopes or anything just walk up service dropped $130 USD cash and a filled out form at the window easy peasy. We should get an email this week that we can return to pick up the new passports, will update the thread if actually happens. If not we shall remain here consuming feta cheese and olives until we get them.
In the 90s, embassies had same-day or overnight service. In 1995, I was issued one overseas in an old-fashioned passport book just like the first one I got in 1962. It was kinda cool, like being a time-traveler.

Old 05-17-2022, 06:40 AM

2 posts, read 2,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
Just wanted to throw out a data point for anyone looking to renew a passport.

I sent in my old passport on April 15th and received the new passport on May 14th - just about one month. I did pay the extra $60 for expedited service. (I have not yet received my old passport back - but that is not important to me.)
Thanks for sharing the info. I am in same boat. Applied on May 4th with expedite service used. Did you receive any status updates on https://passportstatus.state.gov/ before receiving on May 14th? I am still seeing same status. I have travel plans on 15th June hence worried a bit

Old 05-17-2022, 10:13 AM

554 posts, read 1,065,769 times
My wife recently renewed her passport by mail. We didn't keep track of the timeline, but she got her new passport back in about 4 - 5 weeks after it was mailed off. I was shocked that it came back that quick. We did not pay the expedite fee.

Old 05-19-2022, 08:18 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,567,076 times
Quote:

The consulate says our passports are ready for pickup, so it was six days from dropoff to ready for pickup in person. Not bad.

We'll walk over tomorrow to get 'em, they had let us keep the old ones while it was being processed so we're supposed to bring those with us to get the hole-punch of doom put in them before they hand over the shiny new ones.

Old 05-19-2022, 09:35 AM

7,775 posts, read 10,152,240 times
Quote:

Albania now? Nice. You plan to stay in Europe for the summer?

Old 05-19-2022, 11:54 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,593,936 times
I think the only times I've ever beeen in a US embassy was to get a passport renewal. Years ago, passports had a three-year validity, extended two more years with a renewal stamp on the title page.

Old 05-25-2022, 04:15 PM

5,863 posts, read 11,917,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowBar View Post
My wife recently renewed her passport by mail. We didn't keep track of the timeline, but she got her new passport back in about 4 - 5 weeks after it was mailed off. I was shocked that it came back that quick. We did not pay the expedite fee.
Same here. I mailed our applications and passports via regular mail and was very surprised when we got our new ones in the mail about 4 weeks later. Didn’t pay an expedite fee as we had no immediate travel plans. We mailed them off at the beginning of April and got them back the last week of April.

Old 05-28-2022, 06:41 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
Data points on other message boards are also saying 4-5 weeks is common right now regardless if you paid for expedited or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel