Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 09:00 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,836,119 times

Advertisements

Stumbled across this while looking for something else. Never heard of it before now. While looking for more info I found another serial killer from Michigan with the same name as well as Donald Millers in Arizona and Texas who were executed. AFAICT this guy died of natural causes on death row in 2005 unless it was a different Donald Miller.

He was gay himself. And black. Totally against the profile though the word serial killer is never mentioned anywhere. Picked up dudes at gay bars or on the streets of West Hollywood and bludgeoned them with a pipe. There were survivors. He was actually released after being arrested for murder then followed by cops and caught trying to do it again.

People v. Miller - 50 Cal.3d 954 S004600 - Mon, 05/21/1990 | California Supreme Court Resources

Anyone else ever hear of this case?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 02:08 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,753,298 times
The Don Miller in Michigan was white, straight (if you can call a recreational killer "straight") and targeted women and children, if that helps. There is a book out about him called Lethal Friendship.

I have to say I never heard of the California Donald Miller.

Old 05-09-2012, 02:30 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
What is it with that time period? Randy Craft and I think William Bonin picked on gays too.

Old 08-16-2019, 09:31 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,675,872 times
I 've been reading about this case, your source, for the past week. What is strange is that there is no photo of THIS Donald Miller at all!! Plenty of photos of the Michigan Donald Miller.

Besides your source which is linked in the OP, there are only few articles on the internet pertaining to this case. Black aerial killers tend to be under the radar, but this guy was truly underground. I guess it works out well in a sense, as far too often serial killers get far more attention than their victims. Take Bundy, Gacy, Dahmer among others. A other example of a forgotten killer is Vaughn Greenwood, the Skid Row Slasher, psycho who killed some homeless men during late 1974 and early 1975. Only ONE photograph exists of him on the internet.

RIP to all his victims. Sorry but I had to revive this seven year old thread. Hope this case is highlighted on the many true crime documentaries around on television. This callous human being has thankfully passed away on death row. The case reminds me of the 1980 Al Pacino movie "Cruisin".

Rant over.

Old 08-16-2019, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
What is it with that time period? Randy Craft and I think William Bonin picked on gays too.
Also Doug Clark and Carol Bundy, the Sunset Strip slayers. Seems L.A is far safer today than it was back then.

Old 09-17-2019, 03:34 PM

Quote:

Kraft picked on hitchhikers in military uniforms. Bonin picked up kids. All the victims were male, so they both had homosexual rape-murder issues themselves. Most or all of the victims identified as straight.

Last edited by Cliffie; 09-17-2019 at 03:44 PM..

Old 09-17-2019, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nema98 View Post
I 've been reading about this case, your source, for the past week. What is strange is that there is no photo of THIS Donald Miller at all!! Plenty of photos of the Michigan Donald Miller.

Besides your source which is linked in the OP, there are only few articles on the internet pertaining to this case. Black aerial killers tend to be under the radar, but this guy was truly underground. I guess it works out well in a sense, as far too often serial killers get far more attention than their victims. Take Bundy, Gacy, Dahmer among others. A other example of a forgotten killer is Vaughn Greenwood, the Skid Row Slasher, psycho who killed some homeless men during late 1974 and early 1975. Only ONE photograph exists of him on the internet.

RIP to all his victims. Sorry but I had to revive this seven year old thread. Hope this case is highlighted on the many true crime documentaries around on television. This callous human being has thankfully passed away on death row. The case reminds me of the 1980 Al Pacino movie "Cruisin".

Rant over.
Well, here's another rant: CRUISING was based on the New York SK case sensitively referred to by the police as the "[WORD THAT RHYMES WITH HAG] in a Bag" murders. Linky: https://ididitforjodie.com/2014/10/2...a-bag-murders/

Oddly enough, a suspect in those crimes, Paul Bateson, appeared as a minor character in THE EXORCIST.

Old 09-17-2019, 04:02 PM

Quote:
What is it with that time period?
It was the time period when people thought hitchhiking was safe and because of the hippie era, it got to be far more common than it had been before. It was also before the news organs started making so much noise about stranger killings and unsolved cases, so the SKs literally got away with murder again and again until people started wising up again.

Old 12-13-2019, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
It was the time period when people thought hitchhiking was safe and because of the hippie era, it got to be far more common than it had been before. It was also before the news organs started making so much noise about stranger killings and unsolved cases, so the SKs literally got away with murder again and again until people started wising up again.
Good explanations

Old 02-05-2020, 04:04 PM

4 posts, read 6,833 times
Thankfully that was a different era, as I frequently go for runs in the weho area. I did have a strange encounter with an Uber driver recently. Have there been any disappearances lately?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime