Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2012, 07:21 AM

16,828 posts, read 15,246,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
They will have trouble with the "out looking for trouble" portrayal given that he essentially ran out for snacks and was headed home to finish watching the b-ball game. So even if I were some crotchety old fart I would not buy that one.

However, I take one look at TM and one at Zimmerman and find the idea that the chubby older guy could catch TM or chased and caught him rather laughable.

So at that point, it get's *difficult* and you cannot just believe Zims account of events so then you have to rely heavily on impartial evidence like the ER folks that saw the back of his head etc.

I just don't think that with SYG laws....there is enough to pin 2nd on him. I wonder if the jury is allowed to reduce to manslaughter or if it's all or nothing?

Anytime you get an altercation out in public where where one person initiated it without a shred of probable cause and then ends up shooting the other, I'm going to have a hard time getting past that core set of facts. Now if TM had been climbing out a houses window with a laptop tucked under his arm then I would side with Zim but not just walking down the street.

this case should not even be in court. if zimmerman would have been a black male in the same situation, then this would not even have gotten any national media attention at all.

Old 09-24-2012, 12:55 PM

12,406 posts, read 19,028,308 times
Quote:

While I am largely anti-Zimmerman...that is the most bizarre interpretation that I have seen.

EXTREMELY crazy, even if you were trying to support TM.

Basically, while I know you are a hard core dem.....you came off looking like some sort of strawman,
I can see that you are one not to be easily thrown off track by the facts.

Old 09-24-2012, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
this case should not even be in court. if zimmerman would have been a black male in the same situation, then this would not even have gotten any national media attention at all.
You're right. If Zimmerman had been black chances are he'd be in prison for murder by now. It's all of his 'white is right' support that is keeping him out of prison right now. Lots of police support - who initially just tried to sweep this thing under the rug until the national media got wind of it. Just another Florida 'mistake'.

Old 09-24-2012, 02:56 PM

79,045 posts, read 61,199,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
You're right. If Zimmerman had been black chances are he'd be in prison for murder by now. It's all of his 'white is right' support that is keeping him out of prison right now. Lots of police support - who initially just tried to sweep this thing under the rug until the national media got wind of it. Just another Florida 'mistake'.
Really? Guess you never looked into the Daniel Adkins case that we've been talking about.

VERY similar, happened in AZ, no contact ever made between the two and the shooter rolled down his car window and shot the victim from the safety of his car.

Black shooter, hispanic victim (sound familiar in reverse?), no charges ever brought. Happened within 3 weeks of the TM shooting, in Arizona.

P.S. The initial police report suggested charges be brought. It was the prosecutor that had the sole discretion and they are the ones that jacked up the TM case. It wasn't a mistake either, it was politically motivated, luckily unlike the Adkins case, the TM case was able to generate enough outrage that it outweighed the other political pressure.

Old 09-24-2012, 02:59 PM

Quote:
I can see that you are one not to be easily thrown off track by the facts.
When you start off sentences with "I suspect...." you've kinda left the old trail of facts.

Again, this coming from someone that has long and consistently stated that Zimmerman should be charged.

Old 09-24-2012, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Really? Guess you never looked into the Daniel Adkins case that we've been talking about.

VERY similar, happened in AZ, no contact ever made between the two and the shooter rolled down his car window and shot the victim from the safety of his car.

Black shooter, hispanic victim (sound familiar in reverse?), no charges ever brought. Happened within 3 weeks of the TM shooting, in Arizona.

P.S. The initial police report suggested charges be brought. It was the prosecutor that had the sole discretion and they are the ones that jacked up the TM case. It wasn't a mistake either, it was politically motivated, luckily unlike the Adkins case, the TM case was able to generate enough outrage that it outweighed the other political pressure.
Sorry, I did not know Zimmerman was Hispanic.
Thanks for the correction.

Old 09-24-2012, 07:03 PM

16,828 posts, read 15,246,073 times
Quote:

nope, I disagree, if zimmerman would have been black, had a CCW and followed SYG, then i dont think he would be in jail or in court. the black that know they can get a rise out of people pushed for this to go to court and that is what is happening. I am white, and if a black man defended himself, then i would not want him to go jail either. trayvo was a thug and he got what he deserved for doing battery upon someone else.

Old 09-25-2012, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Sorry, I did not know Zimmerman was Hispanic.
Thanks for the correction.
It's sad that you won't even acknowledge the adkins case and instead have to hide behind snarky comments.

This isn't political, we actually like to have real discussions around here.

Old 09-25-2012, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
nope, I disagree, if zimmerman would have been black, had a CCW and followed SYG, then i dont think he would be in jail or in court. the black that know they can get a rise out of people pushed for this to go to court and that is what is happening. I am white, and if a black man defended himself, then i would not want him to go jail either. trayvo was a thug and he got what he deserved for doing battery upon someone else.
I know you aren't anywhere near being the type of guy that Zimmerman or the guy that shot adkins is so it's possible that you are assuming a degree of discipline on their part that you have and they don't.

Ever been to a bar and seen someone start crap with another guy?
Then get his butt kicked by the guy?
Well what happens when instead of getting his butt kicked he shoots the guy after initiating the conflict?
Oh, I was just defending myself.... Good way to get away with murder IMO and there have been guys do pretty much exactly that and get off under SYG laws.

The plain and simple situation is that we have a failed mall cop with known anger issues hopping out of his car with a gun to follow TM with ZERO probable cause. After that, we predominantly only have George Z's version of the events.

If I'm on the jury, it's fairly clear that Zimmerman initiated the conflict and had zero right to do so. If he's getting beat up at that point and guns the guy down that's his fault and he should have been carrying a non-lethal like mace or a taser etc. I'm EXTREMELY troubled that the neighborhood watch guy had a gun as his only option...another mark against him in my book.

I think we can all agree that we would not want a guy like Zimmerman roaming our neighborhoods armed.

Old 09-25-2012, 09:30 AM

14,487 posts, read 14,463,878 times
Quote:
Wow, I'm just stunned. I suggest we do away with jury trials completely and just give this poster the assignment of doing "the job for them". Every morning he could get out his local newspaper and turn on CNN. He could decide all these complex cases for us in minutes. Think of all the money this would save all us taxpayers! I see now that having jury trials to determine the real facts in a situation is just a total waste of time. Its scary to think of all the money and resources we've wasted on an unnecessary system ever since he's been alive!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime