Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 02:40 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,574,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
I've read the media stories on this and never read about a cat being with them.
Her mother was friends with him, it's possible he lured her with some flimsy excuse regarding her family...
IDK...she is only 16 and may not have known how to signal to the horse riders she needed help

The part about the cat was revealed in the interview of the 4 people who spotted them on the trails. It was two couples - husband and wives - who had gone camping and trail riding in the area. One of the men was a retired sheriff in Gem County Idaho apparently in or near this area and he is the one who made the statement about seeing the man (DiMaggio) holding and stroking a gray cat. He said that he told the man - basically - why in the world do you have a cat out here in the wilderness. Don't you realize you'll attract a bear or something that will want to eat it. This is no place for an animal like that. DiMaggio kinda smiled or smirked back at him and continued with the cat. I have not seen the actual printed statement reference that - it was a physical interview.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2013, 02:56 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,574,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitlassie View Post
Who cares about his side of the story? She had just turned 16, he was 40. His father held one of DiMaggio Jr.'s 16-year-old classmates hostage at gunpoint and committed suicide on the same day DiMaggio Sr. was killed by cops several years later - talk about history repeating itself. He may have been grooming her for years like any molester, that's not the same as a consensual relationship!

Why is this even in question? Have you never heard of Stockholm Syndrome, Elizabeth Smart, etc.? People really think she was complicit in the murder of her mother and 8 year old brother?

Yes, I have heard about it - and it has not been suggested (yet) by the media or anybody else that I'm aware of. From my understanding - the person who is the victim becomes attached to the person who has kidnapped them - they can actually believe they love them or that the person is actually rescuing them from a bad situation. It is not based on the reality but on the reality that the kidnapper wants the victim to believe in. It is absolutely a possibility that she could have been complicit in the act - it has certainly happened before. There is no doubt in my mind that DiMaggio was a nutbag - being interested in a child - especially one that he had been friends with her parents for two decades - he probably has watched her grow up. That he could see her as a potential love interest or mate is disgusting on his part - but part of the downside to being an inexperienced youngster is having an adult noticing you and making comments that indicate you aren't just a kid, but a grownup. If he was so creepy - would she not have conveyed that to her parents and they acted on it and withdrawn from the friendship with that man, not have continued to let him pick her up from school and such? You know any 16 year old girls who can't out-argue their mothers or dads? Older men and younger women situations happen all the time - this would certainly not be anything new - I just think we have not heard all of this yet. As someone else said - we will now only hear one side of the story since DiMaggio is dead. Who will ever know??

Old 08-13-2013, 03:03 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,846,967 times
The one good thing that came out of this is that they saved the court system a lot of money by not having him alive to try. A bullet is a lot cheaper than a lengthy trial and all that goes with it............he got exactly what he deserved.

Don

Old 08-13-2013, 03:34 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,445,216 times
I don't think the story has been around awhile. I think it's been around a few days; However, nowadays, any passage of time over a few hours can be considered awhile. If a reporter had the opportunity to stick a microphone in the girl's face to ask if she is STILL sad over her mother and brother's death. After all, it's been awhile.

Old 08-13-2013, 04:36 PM

639 posts, read 1,964,506 times
It is very common for rape or kidnap victims to cooperate with their attacker, to not fight back, etc. That's part of the reason why rapists are so rarely convicted, people use any evidence that the victim didn't fight back as proof that it was consensual. Why do they so rarely fight back? Well, I don't really know, but the fact is, they don't. And that doesn't mean that the criminal who attacked them did nothing wrong, it means he picked his victim well.

Old 08-13-2013, 04:37 PM

26,735 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Between California and Idaho there were probably multiple opportunities for her to escape or ask for help.
Multiple opportunities for escape? Not if DiMaggio had blackmailed her. Remember Jaycee Duggard? Polly Klass? Elizabeth Smart? Hanna Anderson was a kid; DiMaggio had been a family friend for years. She was most likely playing along, knowing that if she didn't, it could result in the loss of her life.

Old 08-13-2013, 05:06 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,846,967 times
Blackmailed as in ???????

Don

Old 08-13-2013, 05:43 PM

26,735 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Blackmailed as in ???????
"Amber Alerts followed the pair through five states until a horseback rider who spoke to the two on a trail, went home and called the Amber Alert tip line after recognizing their photos on television. He said that Hannah had given no indication of being under duress, although that is not uncommon in cases involving young girls and male kidnappers; they are usually warned that harm will come to their family if they try to alert anyone..."
Hannah Anderson Found Alive; Kidnapper DiMaggio Dead | WebProNews

Old 08-13-2013, 05:57 PM

219 posts, read 658,259 times
Very interesting case. If the police said she was def. not involved I'm kind of inclined to believable them. That being said, weirder things have happened. Certainly a freaky relationship with Hannah and Dimaggio. I continue to follow with interest.

Old 08-13-2013, 08:41 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,581,733 times
OK, this has been around for a little while now and I have been reading/watching information regarding this case. Does anybody besides me have a feeling that somehow, some way - this girl was not a victim but a willing participant in this whole mess?

I read the first part of the OP and didn't even go further. I immediately copied and pasted the question I want to respond to. I, too got the same feeling. Although I don't believe she was in on the killing of her mother and brother, I do believe this teen girl was willingly involved with this older man sexually; they were sharing the one tent and having been together for at least a week - no way you can get me to believe that a sexual act(s) didn't take place over that time. I saw the press conference on CNN of the two older couples who crossed paths with this man and the teen. One of the wives said the girl "turned her face" when the couple approached them. Being held against your will and some people show up and instead of you crying out for help or at least giving them "the look", you turn your face away as to NOT be recognized? Doesn't sound like someone who is being held against their will.

The husband or the wife said that they also witnessed the girl sitting at the water's edge with her feet in the water and heard her say to no one in particular "now we're really in trouble" or something to that affect. "WE"? That is not how a kidnap victim would talk. Of course, our media loves the story of the helpless, innocent, naïve, female victim when it comes to any interaction with a male. In a lot of cases they bring to the forefront it appears to be true. However, it can't be true in all situations. Yet, that is how the media will spin it every time regardless of the actual circumstances.

Last edited by Klassyhk; 08-13-2013 at 08:55 PM.. Reason: added a word
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime