Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 02:09 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,583,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
In the couple years the community I live in has been here, there have been NO robberies. Three days after my gargoyle was taken a pair of deer where taken from the yard where I blocked the truck in. Three houses down from there, a bench and a few other lawn things were also taken.

It seems a little odd that only lawn ornaments were taken from your neighborhood. Either someone just moved in to a new home and can't afford landscaping, or a contractor needs decorations for a model home. That's just too weird.

Still hoping for a good outcome for you! I wonder if anyone's thought to look and see if a storage unit has been recently rented nearby and if they can see a black SUV coming through the gates on surveillance tapes. Maybe someone's stockpiling this stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 03:59 PM

476 posts, read 1,678,202 times
Do you have someone selling statuary at a Fleamarket? The thief is definitely targeting specific objects... now what would he want with them? Gargoyles and lawn deer are not necessarily the kind of thing you would pair together.

C'mon there are enough of us that watch CSI & cop programs to be able to piece this together...

Old 06-29-2010, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooks2007 View Post
Do you have someone selling statuary at a Fleamarket? The thief is definitely targeting specific objects... now what would he want with them? Gargoyles and lawn deer are not necessarily the kind of thing you would pair together.

C'mon there are enough of us that watch CSI & cop programs to be able to piece this together...
This is kind of where I was going. Has anyone checked Craigslist? The newspaper? These things are too heavy for EBay, but I agree that they're probably being stolen for quick cash somewhere. I think the fleamarket's a good choice. That's why I wondered about the storage unit. Or maybe someone's garage. They've got to be stored somewhere until they can be sold wherever they're being sold.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:16 AM

476 posts, read 1,678,202 times
I actually did check Craigslist a few days after Susie's first post - all of AZ posts in case they zipped up to PHX where the plate was said to have been stolen. I just checked Tucson & Phoenix posts again.

There was nothing but a couple of plastic resin gargoyles, but there is a new post in Phoenix that has a LOT of statues. They mention elk and bull, but no gargoyles. Looks like he has been collecting for a long time. If nothing else that guy should be warned to keep an eye on his things, especially that big Paul Bunyan!

Old 06-30-2010, 01:34 PM

38 posts, read 84,850 times
UPDATE ---

I've been checking Craig's list too. I would think if they are going to get rid the gargoyle it would have to be a flea market / yard sale situation. Yet, my thoughts are it's probably in a back yard or broken.

Keep your eyes out for the TUCSON SHOPPER 06.30.10 - 1/4 page ad to over 200,000 people!!!

I also got a call from KVOA today!!! Sarah Davis is coming out to the house Thursday to talk with my mom and I!!!!

Old 06-30-2010, 05:12 PM

8 posts, read 16,037 times
I just moved to Tucson and did see the pic and info in the Tucson shopper today!!!

Old 06-30-2010, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusieWilson View Post
UPDATE ---

I also got a call from KVOA today!!! Sarah Davis is coming out to the house Thursday to talk with my mom and I!!!!
Susie, make sure and let it be known to KVOA that this is possibly not the first thing that's been stolen and that it might be someone "collecting" things for yard sales, fleamarkets, etc., because if that kind of information makes it on air, it's possible a friend of a friend of a friend.....knows of someone selling these things, and might say something to alert the police. The last thing the thief is going to want, is publicity, or to know that people are on to him and he might get caught. He may start quickly unloading these "yard arts" to get rid of the stolen property. Another red flag--someone quickly selling or disposing of yard art.

And even if he is unloading this stuff in Phoenix, or even to a 2nd party and taking a commission for providing the merchandise, he still may get spooked. I hope that if this guy is up in Phoenix, just the description of his vehicle and the things he's stolen will keep him up there and out of Tucson! This is one of those situations where someone knows something. I guarantee it.

Old 07-02-2010, 03:37 PM

38 posts, read 84,850 times
I just want to THANK everyone for their support and encouragement. I never thought anyone would even want the gargoyle let alone take it. I guess I just wasn’t raised with that sort of entitlement. Nor was I raised with the idiocy to think the situation of having something stolen off you is funny.

I believe the old “I’m entitled to my opinion” is a fallback to show just how sad some of the people in America have become.

Mod Cut: Discussing moderation.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]This forum is a great place to come to for support and to inform others of things going on around us. Again, THANK YOU ALL![/SIZE]

Last edited by Grannysroost; 07-04-2010 at 09:56 AM..

Old 07-03-2010, 06:29 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,271,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusieWilson View Post
At 3:15 AM on the morning of June 15th (Tuesday morning), I woke up to find a BLACK SUV in my drive way. I could see a man behind the SUV. He pulled out of the driveway with the hatch of the SUV open. When he pulled out of my drive I went outside to see what he had been doing.

HE STOLE AN 600 POUND CEMENT GARGOYLE THAT IS ABOUT FOUR FEET HIGH from my yard. He also stole several flower pots with plants in them. I got in my truck and went down the road (in the direction he had gone - because it dead ended). I caught him parked in my neighbor’s yard. I had my glock and seriously thought to shoot him but I was afraid for the trouble I would get into. I pulled up behind him and yelled at him.

A woman in the truck began screaming. He jumped in the truck and took off through the neighbor’s yard. I chased him until I was able to get 6 of his 7 digit plate. By then I was going 90 miles an hour and he was pulling ahead of me on a windy 35 mile an hour road. I was afraid to hurt anyone. So I stopped.

I want to say this: My father gave that gargoyle to my for their 45th wedding present. He died six months later.

I begged my mom to move to AZ with me. She refused because she couldn't take the gargoyle. I moved that gargoyle 2500 miles into a rental home, then a storage area, then to its final resting place at our home. I HAVE TO HAVE IT BACK. Beside my parents bedroom set (which my mom brought with her) that is the ONLY thing we have of my father's. It mean so much to both of us.

If you see this… I want to tell you. I almost shot you. You are so lucky. I risked my life to catch you. Who do you think YOU ARE to BELLY CRAWL in the middle of the night and steal something so precious from me? Where does that sense of entitlement come from? What kind of a man are you to creep around in the middle of the night and steal a 70 year old ladies 45th wedding anniversary? Mr. Thief… I am going to find you. I have six of the seven digits on your plate. If you still have the gargoyle, darling, you better get rid of it. I will do nothing but work and hunt you until I find that gargoyle. Watch your back because it might take me a month, or a year, but I’ll get my mom’s gargoyle back.

Anyone, PLEASE, PLEASE – I am offering a for our precious gargoyle to be returned. If anyone see’s a four foot high gargoyle on a one foot high cement block – take a second look!!! Please! I have a picture of him I can show or e-mail you. Please, Please if you see it, turn this thief in.

Mod Cut: Personal information deleted, use direct message.

Police report – Pima County Sheriff’s – Report number 100615027. Sherriff’s 520-351-4600.

Attached is a photo of the gargoyle.
You did the right thing by not shooting the person. I would not have either. However, this is what I would have done. I would have shot out their tires. Then, I would have doused the person with pepper spray and take back the gargoyle. I would make them suffer no doubt. I have no idea what a cement gargoyle is or what it is worth, but it sounds like it meant a lot to you. I hope you get it back.

Old 07-05-2010, 11:43 PM

I saw this story twice today on KVOA, once at 5:12 p.m. and again at 6:12 p.m. They did a really good job of covering it, and I applaud Sandy Rathbun for her reporting. I really hope something positive comes from this story being on the air!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson