Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 12:20 PM

1,024 posts, read 2,748,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDCB View Post
How would you sum up the culture? What is "here"?

P.S. Do people play golf in the summer?????
I asked about tennis and was told that you could play after sun set in the summer....but tennis courts have lights...so no big deal!
What about golf? Can't really play in the evening. I guess you can go to the driving range?
Yes people play golf in the summer. As a matter of fact I prefer the summer. First it is not as crowded, so many times you can acutally finish in 4 hours or less. Second, the price. Many of the resorts open play to the public in the summer months. A resort golf course that may cost a guest 200.00 + to play in the winter months you can play for around 40.00 ish in the summer. Everyone has discounted rates in the summer. Some even vary by the time of day that you start. Drink plenty of water, sunscreen, wear a hat, cruising in the golf cart actually provides a bit of a breeze.

Old 01-30-2011, 12:52 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,701,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDCB View Post
P.S. Do people play golf in the summer?????
I asked about tennis and was told that you could play after sun set in the summer....but tennis courts have lights...so no big deal!
What about golf? Can't really play in the evening. I guess you can go to the driving range?
GOOD GRIEF, MDCB . . . as someone else has already pointed out, it's the Desert Southwest, NOT Death Valley.

Sure it gets a little toasty during July and August but, as far as I'm concerned, not nearly as unbearable as the Summer Months in most parts of the country and contrary to what some may believe, none us us go underground or into caves to survive.

Old 01-30-2011, 04:42 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,063,176 times
no, I'm not a doctor.....the "dr" stands for desert rat....

that video you posted is not too bad....though a bit tourism-oriented, it seemed balanced and didn't seem too over-the-top....fairly sure everything in it is in the Tucson area....

"GOLF, RIDING A HORSE, and SPANISH within three years"??....heck, you'll have that done within three days if you want!....I'm not a golfer....the horse thing will probably be a bit dude ranch-ish and you'll probably have to go slow and in single-file with all the other dudes, but, if you prove yourself, you may be able to gallop a bit!....Spanish would be an excellent thing to pick up....check out conversational courses at Pima CC or other spots.....

get ready for 5:17 am sunrises in June (no daylight time here)....humid (for us) conditions in July and August and very high nighttime temps in those two months....do you want swamp or refrigeration??!!!

Old 01-30-2011, 08:42 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,330,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
GOOD GRIEF, MDCB . . . as someone else has already pointed out, it's the Desert Southwest, NOT Death Valley.

Sure it gets a little toasty during July and August but, as far as I'm concerned, not nearly as unbearable as the Summer Months in most parts of the country and contrary to what some may believe, none us us go underground or into caves to survive.
Yeah, Tucson in the summer is not nearly as sticky as say - SW Michigan (where I spent 4 years or so), nor as much as New York state, nor really really anywhere along the Eastern Seaboard (and lets not even BEGIN to talk about the South in summer).

Ken

Old 01-31-2011, 08:24 PM

532 posts, read 1,177,062 times
Better fit for a younger person, sure, but maybe we're thinking of different definitions of 'culture' then.

Old 01-31-2011, 08:25 PM

461 posts, read 861,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subie2 View Post
Better fit for a younger person, sure, but maybe we're thinking of different definitions of 'culture' then.
What were you thinking?

Old 01-31-2011, 08:33 PM

532 posts, read 1,177,062 times
Maybe I'll expand later. I'm pretty sick right now and don't feel up to it at the moment (raging sinus infection, it's that time of year down here apparently).

But as far as learning Spanish, you'll learn at least a little bit in the hospital, trust me. I've been at UMC just shy of a year and I already know much more than when I started. There is a big spanish speaking only population of patients at UMC (that probably comes with the fact that we take all people, insured or not). UMC is a phenomenal hospital btw. Not to knock the VA, but UMC has won many awards from around the country I'm very proud to work there.

Old 01-31-2011, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subie2 View Post
Maybe I'll expand later. I'm pretty sick right now and don't feel up to it at the moment (raging sinus infection, it's that time of year down here apparently).

But as far as learning Spanish, you'll learn at least a little bit in the hospital, trust me. I've been at UMC just shy of a year and I already know much more than when I started. There is a big spanish speaking only population of patients at UMC (that probably comes with the fact that we take all people, insured or not). UMC is a phenomenal hospital btw. Not to knock the VA, but UMC has won many awards from around the country I'm very proud to work there.
Yeah I would love your perspective on the "culture"
Perhaps I am taking it the wrong way...

You work at UMC? What do you do there? You can private message me or I can you, if you don't want to post on the general forum!

Thanks for your help and I hope you feel better!

Old 01-31-2011, 10:20 PM

4,922 posts, read 8,573,613 times
Maybe way off point, but I always think of The Eagles "Peaceful Easy Feeling" when I think of Tucson and all its promise....

Old 02-02-2011, 05:16 AM

Nice...an easy feeling eh? I could use that..lol

Does anyone get really sick of seeing the sun? Is it so bad that sometimes you wish for a gloomy day????

Also, is it hard to keep rooms dark? Heavy duty curtains I suppose?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson