Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 08:36 PM

2,441 posts, read 7,009,059 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I'm planning on speding the summer (early June-early August) in Tucson for a summer program at the University of Arizona. I have heard about Tucson's notorious summer heat, but hear that it's pretty dry. Also, it doesn't look like the temperature rises above 105-107 that often, and cools significantly off at night. I am live in Pennsylvania, but as my name implies, have spent considerable time in Miami, FL. For those of you that have live or spent some time in Tucson, is the summer heat truly that bad?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2007, 10:22 PM

218 posts, read 1,487,051 times
Coming from the humid heat of eastern USA, you will likely be quite comfortable in Tucson in summer.
June may be tough for you, but wear SUNSCREEN, no matter how well you tan, drink lots of water & stay near the a/c.
July & August are cooler, but humid for the desert - will still feel dry to you, probably - July is the beginning of monsoon season.
In Tucson, that means torrential downpours daily, but pretty much isolated to the late afternoon/early evenings - and done in an hour or so.
Welcome to the Sonoran Desert. I've survived seven years here quite nicely, so far; thank you very much
removed

Last edited by Marka; 04-13-2007 at 03:14 AM..

Old 03-28-2007, 12:14 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,379,844 times
Summers are alot hotter than Miami, but alot drier. Both are pretty miserable if you ask me, LOL. Tucson is generally a tad bit cooler than PHX, which might please you some. However, the dry air dehydrates you alot faster, so for lengthy outdoor excursions alot of water is a MUST! The sun down there is also alot more intense than elsewhere, its HOT. Stand next to a heat lamp sometime, that should give you an idea. In the shade is tolerable, but still toasty. Overall, the comfort levels might be a bit better than Miami, but not by much. Winters are alot colder than Miami's, even with occasional snowfalls.

Old 03-28-2007, 03:37 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,224,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Summers are alot hotter than Miami, but alot drier. Both are pretty miserable if you ask me, LOL. Tucson is generally a tad bit cooler than PHX, which might please you some. However, the dry air dehydrates you alot faster, so for lengthy outdoor excursions alot of water is a MUST! The sun down there is also alot more intense than elsewhere, its HOT. Stand next to a heat lamp sometime, that should give you an idea. In the shade is tolerable, but still toasty. Overall, the comfort levels might be a bit better than Miami, but not by much. Winters are alot colder than Miami's, even with occasional snowfalls.
Rubbish! You will find the summer much more tolerable than Miami. FL is miserable in summer, Tucson is just hot. The sun is hot in FL too, it's a latitude thing.

Old 03-28-2007, 05:34 PM

83 posts, read 476,155 times
Quote:

And there ain't no hurricanes in Tucson!

Old 03-28-2007, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecloebl View Post
And there ain't no hurricanes in Tucson!
Nor miles and miles of beachfront.

Old 03-28-2007, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Rubbish! You will find the summer much more tolerable than Miami. FL is miserable in summer, Tucson is just hot. The sun is hot in FL too, it's a latitude thing.
If youd re-read my post, I said Tucson is more comfortable. We ALL know how dry Tucson is, so it goes w/o saying that Tucson is a bit more comfortable. BUT, saying that Miami's sun is as intense as AZs sounds crazy. I can go all day in Ft. Lauderdale accumulating only mild sunburn. One hour in PHX and Im lobster red. Desert sun is much more intense than tropical sun, anyone knows that.

Old 03-28-2007, 09:56 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,224,761 times
Quote:
If youd re-read my post, I said Tucson is more comfortable. We ALL know how dry Tucson is, so it goes w/o saying that Tucson is a bit more comfortable. BUT, saying that Miami's sun is as intense as AZs sounds crazy. I can go all day in Ft. Lauderdale accumulating only mild sunburn. One hour in PHX and Im lobster red. Desert sun is much more intense than tropical sun, anyone knows that.
Crazy but true, Steve-o.

Check out this link and you will find that the clear sky UV index in Miami is consistently higher than it is in Phoenix. It frequently reaches "extreme in Miami" while rarely reaching that level in Phoenix. Miami also tends to have more days of the year where the forecast UV index is very high or extreme than does Phoeniix.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/product...v_annual.shtml

Old 03-29-2007, 06:38 PM

17,796 posts, read 13,687,653 times
Have lived in Tucson and in Florida. And went from Tucson to Florida. At the time I was outside all the time. Here is my synopsis.

Tucson summer heat is relentless. It is like getting smacked in the face with a ping pong paddle when you walk outside. The sun is a brutal orb that is always on you and there is little in the way of shade. However, you don't sweat all that much so the biggest problem is the sun beating on you constantly.

Florida has much more shade and cloudcover and rain which relieves the heat somewhat relative to when you are in direct sunlight. This affect is somewhat helpful but no matter what you are always wet because the sweat just rolls off of you. It is more disgusting than anything because you feel like a big dog is slobbering on you at all times.

Tucson is a problem mostly because it is an everyday thing for 5 months and you get sick of it. On a day to day basis it is not all that uncomfortable but it just goes on too long.

Old 03-30-2007, 03:38 AM

1,316 posts, read 5,788,762 times
I lived in Tucson from '90-'93...I would assume the weather is still quite similar...Summer in Tucson RULES!!!!!!!!!!!
"So why did you move" you ask? ... The winter!
But looooove them desert summers! (Well, I love Miami summers too, but they're not as hot and much stickier! )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson