Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2019, 08:37 AM

1,388 posts, read 1,860,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I posted in another thread about what I read about the potential climate change effects for Tucson, let's hope there's not a thread of truth to it, but one prediction has Tucson becoming more tropical, due to the warming of the oceans, and rains pushed northwards from both the Caribbean and the Pacific.

Out in the garden today and clouds, clouds, clouds. I escaped from MN due to having SADD and I can take one day of clouds, but if this continues for a second day I'll be looking at potential depression tomorrow.
I hope that other thread is wrong about the climate change! I was never directly diagnosed with SADD, but all I know is that I miss the sun terribly! Another day of grayness (2/10/2019) is NOT welcome, especially if we do not get rain from those clouds! In previous winters, I could deal with 2 or 3 days of clouds because I knew that the sun would be back at the end of those few days. This year, we have had so many cloudy days, I am not sure when I will see the sun again! This is really hard to take, especially when the News 13 First Alert app on my phone is showing nothing but sun!!! It also looks like we are in for another dose of rain on Valentines day, and then again on Monday the 18th. :-(
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2019, 08:59 AM

8 posts, read 19,497 times
Hi Bart, I looked up cloud cover data from past and compared it to present for Green Valley ....Verdict definitely more cloudy! I am in Toronto and it has been the WORST winter ever in History. Polar Vortex dip southward has brought Arctic weather further south. That is proof positive that Climate change is happening and Arctic Warming is bringing cold south here is an interesting Animation ; https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...reme-cold.html

arun

Old 02-12-2019, 09:23 AM

67 posts, read 58,232 times
Default cold in kingman az

I just moved here and it IS cold here, I even checked the weather in the Eastern Sierras and WE were colder!
Although, I checked where my brother lives, in Northern Illinois, and his temperature was -22, now that's cold!
I've been watching the airplanes flying spraying the clouds for rain, zipping across the sky, then another would crisscross, soon it becomes cloudy, why is this legal? and, who does this anyway, who is paying for it to rain. I remember as a child some farmer would pay a pilot to spray for rain in a old open airplane (cropper) but, now its chemicals being sprayed, I wish they would stop doing this, especially when its chemicals they spray.

Old 02-12-2019, 09:28 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,724,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
This our 3rd winter here in our RV. This is by far the coldest, and people who have been here a lot longer than me say its a very cold and wet winter. We had snow again today above 4000 ft. We will not be back next year.
You're done with Arizona? I think Florida is the only state with comparable or slightly better winters?

Old 02-12-2019, 11:14 AM

4,374 posts, read 11,227,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
This our 3rd winter here in our RV. This is by far the coldest, and people who have been here a lot longer than me say its a very cold and wet winter. We had snow again today above 4000 ft. We will not be back next year.
Where will you go, FL?

Old 02-13-2019, 04:37 AM

700 posts, read 918,919 times
It's the altitude; low altitude places are going to be a little bit warmer, such as Yuma, which is forecast to be 70 F today. They are in the Lower Colorado River Valley zone of the Sonoran Desert.

Lower Colorado River Valley
Named for its location surrounding the lower Colorado River in parts of four states, this is the largest, hottest, and driest subdivision. It challenges the Mohave Desert's Death Valley as the hottest and driest place in North America. Summer highs may exceed 120 F (48.5 C), with surface temperatures approaching 180 (82 C). The intense solar radiation from cloudless skies and low humidity (often less than 10%) suck the life-sustaining water from exposed plants, water that cannot be replaced from the parched mineral soil. Annual rainfall in the driest sites averages less than three inches (75 mm), and some localities have gone nearly three years with no rain. Even so, life exists here, abundantly in the rare wet years. See additional images in the report on Ironwood Forest National Monument. The geography is mostly broad, flat valleys with widely-scattered, small mountain ranges of mostly barren rock. There is also a sand sea (the Gran Desierto) and the spectacular Pinacate volcanic field. The valleys are dominated by low shrubs, primarily creosote bush (Larrea divaricata) and white bursage (Ambrosia dumosa). These are the two most drought- tolerant plants in North America, but in driest areas of this subdivision even they are restricted to drainage courses (i.e., they become riparian plants!). Trees are found only in the larger washes. The mountains support a wider variety of shrubs and cacti, but the density is very sparse. Columnar cacti, one of the indicators of the Sonoran Desert, are rare (virtually absent in California) and restricted to drainages. Annual species comprise well over half the flora (90% at the driest sites); they are mostly winter-growing species and appear in numbers only in wet years.
This is the only part of the Sonoran Desert that extends into California, where it is usually called the Colorado Desert. North of a sagging line between Palm Springs and Needles, California, it merges almost imperceptibly with the lower Mohave Desert.

Some photo galleries:

https://www.desertmuseum.org/desert/...lcvgallery.php

Old 02-13-2019, 07:59 AM

136 posts, read 261,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowrose3 View Post
I just moved here and it IS cold here, I even checked the weather in the Eastern Sierras and WE were colder!
Although, I checked where my brother lives, in Northern Illinois, and his temperature was -22, now that's cold!
I've been watching the airplanes flying spraying the clouds for rain, zipping across the sky, then another would crisscross, soon it becomes cloudy, why is this legal? and, who does this anyway, who is paying for it to rain. I remember as a child some farmer would pay a pilot to spray for rain in a old open airplane (cropper) but, now its chemicals being sprayed, I wish they would stop doing this, especially when its chemicals they spray.

Your post made my day. Can't seem to get the grin off my face. I also enjoy the conspiracy theory that rock 'n roll is a communist plot to undermine the youth of America. And the moon landing was fake, and fluoridated water...

Old 02-13-2019, 08:29 AM

67 posts, read 58,232 times
to far south,
Your answer said a lot about your mind set, I suggest you read a tad bit more about the latest technologies being made by the military that's being used each and every day, then you won't be laughing so much. ignorance can
be cured by reading.

Old 02-13-2019, 09:15 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,326,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowrose3 View Post
to far south,
Your answer said a lot about your mind set, I suggest you read a tad bit more about the latest technologies being made by the military that's being used each and every day, then you won't be laughing so much. ignorance can
be cured by reading
Not with the kind of silly nonsense you're reading.

Just because you read something, doesn't make it TRUE.

Ken

Old 02-14-2019, 06:02 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,091,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Not with the kind of silly nonsense you're reading.

Just because you read something, doesn't make it TRUE.

Ken
But I read it on the Internet. They can't put anything on the Internet that isn't True can They?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson