Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 01:36 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,150,679 times

Advertisements

You know, I can see a dog being out in a big yard, but I'm talking about a new house with a tiny (13x13) patio on dirt. What else is the dog gonna do out other than bark?! There's nothing to entertain it - zero, nada, zilch. Besides, it looks like they're home at this time. Can't understand how it doesn't drive even them nuts. My philosophy is: if you wanna keep dogs on the loose you live on minimum of 2 acres; if you live in a high-density area and don't have much of an yard you walk them and keep them inside the rest of the time. That dog does nothing but bark when it's outside (mind you, hardly anybody ever walks by) - I "enjoy" a 1/2 hour uninterrupted sessions at a time. And in the morning even a few minuts are good enough to wake you up.

I don't know what the owners' schedule and lifestyle is, but it appears to be the biggest problem during week days when I'm rarely home, but any time I am it's the same. You can't enjoy a few days of peace and relaxation in your own darn home. One house terrorizes the whole section.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2008, 03:02 PM

4,922 posts, read 8,571,496 times
Have you had a chance to talk or write to these people? You might explain to them that the dogs are annoying you at certain times of the day. Are any other neighbors having a problem? Maybe you're not the first to say something to the owners. Possibly, the more neighbors that complain directly to the owners will force them to do something without having to go through mediation.

Old 11-01-2008, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy1210 View Post
Have you had a chance to talk or write to these people? You might explain to them that the dogs are annoying you at certain times of the day.
Haven't tried yet, but it's getting there. It's barking right now. Why in the world would you enjoy a nap when you can listen to their lovely dog?!

Quote:
Are any other neighbors having a problem? Maybe you're not the first to say something to the owners. Possibly, the more neighbors that complain directly to the owners will force them to do something without having to go through mediation.
Well, there are many houses closer to them than mine, but since NOT having dogs is the exception, perhaps the rest of the dog lovers have no problem with it.

Old 11-01-2008, 05:13 PM

89 posts, read 385,911 times
How frustrating! We are not dog owners, but I do hope to be one day. (All we have now is a hairless cat [sphynx] that's so ugly he keeps the burglers away.) Since I'll be moving into your neck of the woods, I sure do hope we don't have the same yappy neighbors, that would drive me insane! I'll be keeping an eye on this thread... just in case.

Old 11-01-2008, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDL-A View Post
How frustrating! We are not dog owners, but I do hope to be one day. (All we have now is a hairless cat [sphynx] that's so ugly he keeps the burglers away.) Since I'll be moving into your neck of the woods, I sure do hope we don't have the same yappy neighbors, that would drive me insane! I'll be keeping an eye on this thread... just in case.
Hate to tell you that, but dogs and their inconsiderate and lazy owners are EVERYWHERE! And I've seen a LOT worse places. Pretty much the rest of us pay for living in the pound - the difference would be only in the degree of disgust. My problem is by no means the worst.

One of the apt complexes where I used to live started accepting up to 2 dogs up to 80 lbs!!! Can you even imagine 2 dogs like this in an apartment?! Who knows... those might be better than the little yappers.

When I was looking for a house I went to see one that sounded really good on paper - very reasonable price with a small pool. Until you see what's next door - a huge barking dog and a yard covered with a month's worth of poop , I'm kidding you NOT! Passed on a very nice house when I was looking with my ex, too, for the same reason. These poor people will have a hell of a time selling their homes through no fault of their own! Where we ended up buying a house there was dog poop all over the streets. We got a "friendly" reminder a few times from the HOA about a bush that wasn't even ours, but the filth on the streets apparently didn't bother them one bit. And all these places I'm talking about are in decent to nice parts of town.

Old 11-06-2008, 07:17 AM

66 posts, read 337,301 times
Here in the DC area we have a noise ordnance law, after 9pm you can call the police and complain, not sure what they would do or enforce. Being a owner of 4 JR terriers I am very conscious of my dogs when they start barking especially when its around 9pm. Just my 2 cents.

Old 11-06-2008, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner1 View Post
Here in the DC area we have a noise ordnance law, after 9pm you can call the police and complain, not sure what they would do or enforce. Being a owner of 4 JR terriers I am very conscious of my dogs when they start barking especially when its around 9pm. Just my 2 cents.
Well, most of the time it doesn't bark late in the evening. All day is "good" enough, though, particularly if you've taken a day off to enjoy being home and end up being in the pound. Same on weekends.

Old 11-06-2008, 08:12 AM

54,494 posts, read 33,862,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Does anybody know where you're supposed to complain of barking dogs?
Wooof!

How about the dog's owner? If that doesn't work, a call to the police department, with a noise complaint might work.

Old 11-06-2008, 08:51 AM

13,211 posts, read 21,825,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Does anybody know where you're supposed to complain of barking dogs?
Call animal control and/or the police and report it. Barking dogs that can be heard over property boundaries, regardless of time of day, are a violation of Pima County civil code 6.04.160, and there are pretty hefty financial penalties for it. Here's the relevant text of the code.

6.04.160 Excessive noise caused by animals or birds.
A. Definitions. In this section, unless the context otherwise requires:
1. “Property line” means the line which represents the legal limits of property (including an apartment, condominium, room or other dwelling unit) owned, leased or otherwise occupied by a person, business, corporation or institution. In cases involving sound from an activity on a public street or other public right-of-way, the “property line” shall be the nearest boundary of the public right-of-way.
B. Prohibited activity.
1. The following activities are prohibited if they produce clearly audible sound beyond the property line of the property on which they are conducted and they disturb the public peace, quiet or comfort of the neighboring inhabitants.
a. Owning, possessing, harboring or controlling any animal or bird which frequently or for continuous duration howls, barks, meows, squawks or makes other sounds.
C. Enforcement. The provisions of this section shall be enforced and administered by Pima animal control and appropriate local law enforcement.
D. Penalty. 1. A violation of any provision of this section is a civil infraction and will be adjudicated by a hearing officer, as set forth in Section 6.04.160(F), and the written rules of procedure for hearings adopted by the board of supervisors.
2. If the owner of the animal or bird which has engaged in an activity prohibited by this section cannot be determined, the owner, lessee or occupant of the property on which the activity is located shall be deemed responsible for the violation.
3. Each day’s continuance of a violation under this section shall be deemed a separate offense.
4. A fine of no less than fifty dollars and no more than five hundred dollars shall be imposed for each violation.

Link: Chapter 6.04 ANIMAL CONTROL REGULATIONS

Old 11-06-2008, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Call animal control and/or the police and report it. Barking dogs that can be heard over property boundaries, regardless of time of day, are a violation of Pima County civil code 6.04.160, and there are pretty hefty financial penalties for it. Here's the relevant text of the code.

6.04.160 Excessive noise caused by animals or birds.
A. Definitions. In this section, unless the context otherwise requires:
1. “Property line” means the line which represents the legal limits of property (including an apartment, condominium, room or other dwelling unit) owned, leased or otherwise occupied by a person, business, corporation or institution. In cases involving sound from an activity on a public street or other public right-of-way, the “property line” shall be the nearest boundary of the public right-of-way.
B. Prohibited activity.
1. The following activities are prohibited if they produce clearly audible sound beyond the property line of the property on which they are conducted and they disturb the public peace, quiet or comfort of the neighboring inhabitants.
a. Owning, possessing, harboring or controlling any animal or bird which frequently or for continuous duration howls, barks, meows, squawks or makes other sounds.
C. Enforcement. The provisions of this section shall be enforced and administered by Pima animal control and appropriate local law enforcement.
D. Penalty. 1. A violation of any provision of this section is a civil infraction and will be adjudicated by a hearing officer, as set forth in Section 6.04.160(F), and the written rules of procedure for hearings adopted by the board of supervisors.
2. If the owner of the animal or bird which has engaged in an activity prohibited by this section cannot be determined, the owner, lessee or occupant of the property on which the activity is located shall be deemed responsible for the violation.
3. Each day’s continuance of a violation under this section shall be deemed a separate offense.
4. A fine of no less than fifty dollars and no more than five hundred dollars shall be imposed for each violation.

Link: Chapter 6.04 ANIMAL CONTROL REGULATIONS
Good info! Thank you very much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson