Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2019, 10:40 AM

16,395 posts, read 30,307,800 times

Advertisements

^^^

We used our air conditioner approximately 45 days last summer using the same technique. Our worst electric bill in the past three years has been $82 and that was largely due to having guests in the house that month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2019, 01:34 AM

23,235 posts, read 29,075,721 times
I just started my Summer sleeping schedule a couple weeks ago to beat the summer heat. Go to bed an hour or 2 after sunrise, have dinner, take my sleep meds, and get out of bed between 4p-5p. Perfect time to get up as it's already starting to cool down.

In my 55+ community I have a treasured neighbor who also worked the night shift for 17 years and she conks out about 5am and sleeps until 1p-2p.

When I meet older ladies walking about at 6-7am, I surprise them by telling them I'm going to bed.

Why, why, why? Get up so early in the summer here, particularly being retired, and be cooped up in your house all day? Make no sense to me!!! A complete waste of time!

It's now 12:30am and I'm going to take my ferret for a long walk! Then out on my patio until sunrise, then take an early morning walk, and off to bed I go! Anyone else want to join my more sane summer schedule?

Old 06-19-2019, 11:03 AM

2,410 posts, read 5,825,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Century25 View Post
I remember back in the 70's.. you'd see the back windows blown out of a few cars every summer. And look at the 'alligators' on the freeways around town.. They aren't there because it is 'only' 100 degrees.. ha-ha..
Windows blown out of cars? Alligators on highways? Really? Yikes!

Old 06-21-2019, 02:22 PM

77 posts, read 53,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I just started my Summer sleeping schedule a couple weeks ago to beat the summer heat. Go to bed an hour or 2 after sunrise, have dinner, take my sleep meds, and get out of bed between 4p-5p. Perfect time to get up as it's already starting to cool down.

In my 55+ community I have a treasured neighbor who also worked the night shift for 17 years and she conks out about 5am and sleeps until 1p-2p.

When I meet older ladies walking about at 6-7am, I surprise them by telling them I'm going to bed.

Why, why, why? Get up so early in the summer here, particularly being retired, and be cooped up in your house all day? Make no sense to me!!! A complete waste of time!

It's now 12:30am and I'm going to take my ferret for a long walk! Then out on my patio until sunrise, then take an early morning walk, and off to bed I go! Anyone else want to join my more sane summer schedule?
This is one of the smartest posts ever! Congratulations, tijlover!! Your sleeping schedule is perfect to tackle the summer heat. If more people adopt this schedule in summer, their will be demand for coffee shops and restaurants open 24/7 in safe, well-lit areas, where customers can enjoy a drink or a meal with friends on cool patios under the stars.

It may complicated for those with little children and normal working hours, but retirees and several other people can definitely follow your lead and have a different take on these scorching summers.

Old 07-01-2019, 12:20 AM

522 posts, read 1,569,866 times
I am enjoying the weather here more and more. It's been almost 4 years now and I don't miss the hot humid days in Illinois-- or the cold for that matter. Even working in the sun isn't as bad as IL.
I love how my car cools even after sitting all day at work. It's easier to cool without humidity. It doesn't have to remove the moisture so it cools quicker.
Our home is cooler as well. Here you get out of the shower and get chilled. In IL you were sweating before you go dressed.
I will take the heat here any day over IL.

Old 07-01-2019, 10:08 AM

^^ It appears to me you haven't been through a monsoon season here yet! It's already started and I'm gritting my teeth already. I have a pet ferret that's leash trained, and being heat sensitive, I walk him in the coolest part of the morning. The other morning, even at 3am, it was too hot and humid and he was panting after one block. Time to return to the house.

Old 07-01-2019, 02:55 PM

364 posts, read 618,809 times
Quote:
^^ It appears to me you haven't been through a monsoon season here yet! It's already started and I'm gritting my teeth already. I have a pet ferret that's leash trained, and being heat sensitive, I walk him in the coolest part of the morning. The other morning, even at 3am, it was too hot and humid and he was panting after one block. Time to return to the house.

I don't live there, but I have not seen the humidity get over 25% in the last month via local weather tracking??? It's 104 now in Tucson with 13% humidity. Living it Texas where the average summer humidity is 50-70% including the middle of the night, I have to ask....what the heck are you talking about?

Old 07-01-2019, 03:07 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,630,065 times
Quote:
Monsoon hasn't started yet. The Cloudy and sprinkly spell of the last couple days was moisture seep from Tropical Storm Alvin, the westerlies are already back today, and we have a dry next two weeks in the forecast (abnormally so)

Old 07-01-2019, 07:20 PM

10,912 posts, read 7,414,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
Windows blown out of cars? Alligators on highways? Really? Yikes!
I don't know nuthin bout no windows, but I'd guess the alligators are the strips of tires decorating the roadsides.

Old 07-01-2019, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katera View Post
I don't live there, but I have not seen the humidity get over 25% in the last month via local weather tracking??? It's 104 now in Tucson with 13% humidity. Living it Texas where the average summer humidity is 50-70% including the middle of the night, I have to ask....what the heck are you talking about?
When we have a good monsoon downpour in the summer, check the humidity levels the next day! Almost equal to Florida!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson