Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 02:55 PM

3 posts, read 20,623 times

Advertisements

It's true.....Tucson bites!

Ive lived here for 30 years.
If you like crappy roads, constant road construction, red lights EVERY block, COMPLETE lack of traffic enforcement, redneck cops, OVERdevelopment without any regard to infrastructure, landfills everywhere, nothing to do except hit one of two decent shopping malls, a downtown that is like a clogged artery ....shall i go on? TUSD school system is a fat fat bureaucracy and the schools suffer. There are charter schools everywhere and kids running around and smoking at all times of the weekdays. Yes most of them look and act like gangbangers. There IS grafitti everywhere and the city does nothing to curb it. This is a very very liberal town despite the airbase and defense contractor. There is absolutely nothing to do here. The parks are mostly overridden by transient homeless people and vandals. If you want to go to the mountain or national parks, be prepared to pay $$. If you want to go to the naional forests south of here they warn you about drug trafficers and "coyotes" who smuggle Illegals liens across the border (but this isnt Tucson). Crime is probably higher because of the ilegal drug business. Home invasions are very common recently. Drug house busts seem to be everyday news. It's very depressing here.
Why do I live here? My job and family roots. Phoenix (Mesa, Tempe, Scottsdale, Chandler...) rules in my opinion. I can deal with the heat.
On the positive side we do have the U of A and....and....uh

Old 09-18-2006, 04:11 PM

1,477 posts, read 4,404,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLightwaver View Post
Why do I live here? My job and family roots. Phoenix (Mesa, Tempe, Scottsdale, Chandler...) rules in my opinion. I can deal with the heat.
I have not spent much time in Tucson, but if the Phoenix area “rules” compared to Tucson, Tucson must be a really horrible place.

Old 10-20-2006, 05:49 AM

19 posts, read 70,719 times
Default Tucson

I have lived here all my life and five years ago I would have defended Tucson, not anymore. All the negative things that have been listed are true. As for the person walking around Alvernon/Grant area be forwarned, that is one of the biggest meth areas in Tucson, just watch the local news.

Old 10-26-2006, 03:08 PM

710 posts, read 2,961,565 times
I really don't believe Tucson is a bad as some of you say. If it were this crime ridden slump, why is it one of the fastest growing metropolitan areas in the U.S.? I understand there are problems; homes are over priced, lack of infrastructure (mainly a good highway system), and hot summers. But Tucson is one of the most beautiful cities, much more so than neighboring Phoenix. People no longer have to drive to Phoenix for Louis Vuitton, Tiffany, Coach, Crate & Barrel, and many more. The Accenture Match Play Championship is leaving gorgeous San Diego for Tucson. So yes I understand Tucson has issues, some of which are very similar to ABQ, but to call it a dump is entirely untrue. It is simply a fast growing city that is facing multiple growing pains!

Old 10-26-2006, 03:56 PM

702 posts, read 3,151,584 times
Default I never called it a dump...

Quote:
Originally Posted by finmqa1 View Post
I really don't believe Tucson is a bad as some of you say. If it were this crime ridden slump, why is it one of the fastest growing metropolitan areas in the U.S.? I understand there are problems; homes are over priced, lack of infrastructure (mainly a good highway system), and hot summers. But Tucson is one of the most beautiful cities, much more so than neighboring Phoenix. People no longer have to drive to Phoenix for Louis Vuitton, Tiffany, Coach, Crate & Barrel, and many more. The Accenture Match Play Championship is leaving gorgeous San Diego for Tucson. So yes I understand Tucson has issues, some of which are very similar to ABQ, but to call it a dump is entirely untrue. It is simply a fast growing city that is facing multiple growing pains!
I never called Tucson a slump. The best looking part of Tucson is the Downtown area where the court house is located and the foothills area. The rest...well, let's just say that it could be a lot better. The crime rate [check out the crime rate stats] is terrible. Not a safe place to live. It beats the national average in all categories. Tucson and all of the surrounding area is being filled with retired people because the property taxes are so low and most people move here from areas with very cold winters. My wife worked for the main home builder in Pima County and found that other than cold climate people moving here, the vast amount of people are from California. They move here because when they retire they cannot afford to live there. They sell their million dollar house and buy a top of the line house here for half that amount and have money left for their retirement. You have to live here for twenty years, as I have, to really know Tucson and the surrounding area before you can make a judgement.

Old 10-27-2006, 01:03 AM

710 posts, read 2,961,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azloafer View Post
You have to live here for twenty years, as I have, to really know Tucson and the surrounding area before you can make a judgement.
azloafer, I never meant to single out one person with my reply. In fact the only reason I jumped in on this is that I am quite fond of Tucson. I also know there are several forumers who would like to indentify ABQ as a crime ridden dump. Well as for ABQ, that is entirely untrue. There are a few parts of town that have a significant amount of crime, but I have been here my whole life and (knock on wood) I have yet to be a victim of crime. So yes, you and the other Tucson residents know that city better than I, but again I was just voicing my opinion and that is I rather enjoy your city as a visitor.

Old 10-27-2006, 01:26 PM

5 posts, read 55,239 times
We lived in Tucson for five years as my wife went to medical school. We lived in midtown, on Speedway (GREAT name for a street, IMHO) just behind Berky's Bar and across from TD's East.

Tucson has many negatives, but also has some GREAT positives. We, overall, love Tucson and go back frequently to visit. My wife is from Mesa, and i'm from the east coast. We currently live in Illinois.

Negatives:
1. Crime - it is above the national average. Auto theft is a huge problem. Partly that is because it's between Phoenix and Mexico. My truck was stolen from the Marie Callendar's parking lot THREE WEEKS before we moved away.

2. Schools. TUSD is not a very good school district. Some of the others aren't bad. I used to teach at Amphitheater High School.

3. Roads. There needs to be SOME kind of freeway system. Something around the north and east sides of the city. It does take forever to get anywhere. And the suicide turn lanes that become one way commuting lanes...who's idea was that?

4. Housing costs. It's nuts. It's overinflated, and costs way more than it should. However, we weren't complaining when we made $50K on the sale of our very modest home....

Positives:
1. Culture. Tucson has some great architechture and history. I love the buildings, and the fact that it really doesn't have high-rises. I love the whole southwestern thing, though. So, I think that this is a positive.

2. College town. Tucson is a good college town. U of A is awesome, has great sports and educational programs.

3. MEXICAN FOOD. THE BEST. PERIOD.

4. Accesibility. Good airport. Right on a major East-West interstate. Easy to get to Phoenix or San Diego.

5. Golf. If you love golf, this is your place.

6. Mountains. Most people not from Arizona think that the entire thing is desert. Well, there is a lot of that. But Tucson is in a beautiful spot with Mt. Lemmon hanging over it...just beautiful.

7. Taxes. Low, for a city of that size.

I could probably think of more. We really did love Tucson, and thought that we would stay there forever, but it didn't work out that way. But we go back whenever we can.

Old 10-28-2006, 04:24 PM

19 posts, read 148,569 times
Well I suppose everyone has an opinion to share when it comes to Tucson..
Personally, I'm moving there in February of 2007 and I can't wait!
I love Tucson, and have for years. I currently live in the heart of New York City...I grew up here and lived here for 40 years so if you want to talk about crime- let's go..
In NYC I hear on the news every day about murders, assaults, people being pushed into oncoming subways, rapes, cops getting shot up, etc..constantly!!

You want to talk ghettos? Come to the Bronx. New York is filthy, expensive, over rated and overcrowded (8 million souls stuffed in one city is way too much for me)
So I think we need to put this all in some perspective...perhaps it depends on your frame of reference? If you grew up in Tucson and know of it the way "it used to be" ...then o.k.. go ahead and complain...
but traffic? Tucson? Please...
I've spent hours in nyc traffic and can tell you Tucson has nothing on new york for car congestion and aggravation.
I'm sure I'll get plenty of snappy replies to this post...
But I only say this in defense of what I find to be one of the most physically beautiful cities in this country (that YES needs more help for its law enforcement...gangs..etc)...but spend some time in some true rough and tumble urban cities....then you'll be running to get back to sweet little ole' Tucson..
Them's my thoughts
Thank You!

Old 10-29-2006, 05:53 PM

5 posts, read 55,239 times
Well, of course nothing is going to compare to NYC when talking about traffic, it's true. But that's the extreme example. Tucson traffic is still bad, but it's not unbearable. Just somewhat frustrating.

Old 10-29-2006, 06:07 PM

4,494 posts, read 7,479,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azcavalier View Post
3. MEXICAN FOOD. THE BEST. PERIOD.
EL CHARRITO'S (the older one!) RIGHT ON!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson