Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 05:57 PM

19 posts, read 148,625 times

Advertisements

Hi Redshift,
Thank you so much for all the encouraging and positive feedback for me and Julie
It can be scarey moving to any new town...but I always feel like I'm coming home when I visit Tucson....
and when I have to leave I'm sad and count the days till I can return (so I'd say I love the town!)
I agree, Tucson does have some special issues, and I am not blind to the immigration problems, the gangs, and drugs.
However, any town is going to have its problems, right?
For my move, I am most likely going to end up either on the eastside or north end of Tucson (I know enough to stay away from south Tucson).
I love the geographic beauty of Tucson...the desert, the Catalina mountains looming north of town...and I've heard some amazing facts about those mountains...When you start off at the base of the mountains its all cactus and sagebrush....but as you ascend higher and higher into the mountains and the temperature drops...by the time you hit the peaks you've got naturally occuring PINE treees growing up there!! I think that is amazing...how many areas in the United States can say they host such diversity of plant and tree life all on one mountain?...Tucson is a gorgeous, amazing place,,and I love the south west in general and know I will be happy there.
Again thank you for all the great info Redshift
Amy

Last edited by Amybear; 11-08-2006 at 06:23 PM..

Old 11-11-2006, 07:37 AM

1,697 posts, read 3,484,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amybear View Post
Hi Julie,
I know how you feel..since I'm moving out to Tucson from n.y.c. in February and some of the opinions I've read on this post have been less than flattering..
But when I've visited Tucson over the years , all the people I meet out there are nothing but kind...and always show a great love for their city...so I think it depends who you talk to ,,and what their lifestyle is.
For me, I'm a 40 year old woman, not married, no kids (just my pug) and I can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to escaping to Tucson.
I don't need alot of excitement and city-stimulas to make me happy...I do medical billing, so I'm not too worried about job prospects out there, I just want to land a decent job,,,a nice little apartment with a pool, and have time to go hiking and biking in the mountains or desert on weekends. Make some new friends, and enjoy a healthier, less stressful life than I have in New York.

Tucson has culture, a ballet, theatres, even opera I think. You and your husband will do fine, follow your heart and your instincts
Amy
I am making the leap sometime in '07, too, from New Jersey with my furry, four-legged kid. I can't wait to be able to live in a more "outdoorsy" area. I like that it's a city, but not a BIG city. When I went to visit recently, I felt like a kid on summer vacation with all the outdoor things there were to do- all I wanted to do was go outside and play I know I won't have time to do that ALL the time until I make my first billion, and I'm probably not going to get very close to it in Tucson, but I think the change will do me a world of good nonethless.

Best of luck to you in your move!

Old 11-11-2006, 08:18 AM

6 posts, read 60,437 times
Ouch, this thread is really scaring me. Everything else I saw or read about the area wasn't so negative. I'm thinking of attending the U of A. Can anybody tell me about the areas surrounding the school, and what they are like? I go jogging every day, so is there many nice trails around to use? And is the area scenic in general? Does it have that downtown feel, or is it more secluded from the meat of the town? And how would you rate the University as far as how it looks and how it is organized? Nice buildings/trees/lawns/upkeep and that kind of stuff, or is it rundown like you guys say the rest of the town is? By the way, I'm coming from the northeast. Thanks!

Old 11-11-2006, 09:21 AM

39,106 posts, read 51,306,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrific-tom View Post
Ouch, this thread is really scaring me. Everything else I saw or read about the area wasn't so negative.
So why would you believe anything you read here if it contradicts all your previous research? Much of what I have seen about AZ since I started on the forum is inaccurate impressions of people who have not lived here long enough to know their own neighborhoods much less the rest of the city and state they live in.

I am a UofA graduate. The campus is lovely with huge old trees, lawns, and architectural integration. The area is older and not so nice. It was rather shabby when I attended in the 70s, and it has not gotten any better. I was never mugged, assaulted, or otherwise threatened in my time there or on my trips back and I doubt you would be either.

If you want nicer surroundings go to ASU in Tempe. They have the totally artificial "Old Town" Mill Avenue District replete with t-shirt shops, quirky college and sports bars, pizza joints and assorted eateries. The campus is also quite nice but the buildings are a total hodge-podge of architecture that insults the eye.

Old 11-11-2006, 12:57 PM

1,697 posts, read 3,484,604 times
Quote:
Ouch, this thread is really scaring me. Everything else I saw or read about the area wasn't so negative. I'm thinking of attending the U of A. Can anybody tell me about the areas surrounding the school, and what they are like? I go jogging every day, so is there many nice trails around to use? And is the area scenic in general? Does it have that downtown feel, or is it more secluded from the meat of the town? And how would you rate the University as far as how it looks and how it is organized? Nice buildings/trees/lawns/upkeep and that kind of stuff, or is it rundown like you guys say the rest of the town is? By the way, I'm coming from the northeast. Thanks!
FWIW,

If you are going to the U of A for a specific program, and it's the best move for your education and career, you go and put up with the negative. If you really hate it, you can always leave when you are finished.

However, if those other factors really mean that much to you, then you need to go see the place for yourself before you move.

Old 11-12-2006, 04:34 PM

218 posts, read 1,487,965 times
Thumbs up Las Vegas, NM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malsytalsy View Post
Sorry - I'm from out of state and may not know the area, but it was my understanding Las Vegas was in Nevada.....??
Been through there many a time. Blinked once or twice and missed it, though.
Very small town. New Mexico is a great place to spend time in. I enjoy White Sands, ABQ, Sante Fe, Cloudcroft, Soccoro (sp?) . . . just to name a few.

For driving perspective from Tucson, ABQ is about 8 hours each way.

Old 11-12-2006, 04:47 PM

218 posts, read 1,487,965 times
Quote:
I have a senior at U of A in the fam. Know students who live on campus, near campus, and commuters from Vail (yes, Vail, AZ - southeast of U of A about 20 minute drive), and Oro Valley (northwest of U of A about 20-30 minute drive too). I have worked all across the Tucson Basin for 6+ years.

If you can't live on campus, and you're a bit anxious, try to get into student apts at Wetmore Rd. and 1st Ave. They have a shuttle to campus, when you don't want to worry about parking your own car and the cost of parking. About any apt. north of River Road is probably a fairly safe bet too. There is a city bus system, but it stops at every corner, so it takes a long time to get where you need to be - and patience.

Know this: ANY college town has its risks - College towns attract scum who delight in taking advantage of young adults in many ways! It is up to you to try to not put yourself in vulnerable situations - walking through tunnels after dark, etc.

If U of A has a good reputation for the degree you want to earn, then don't let your fears of your safety stop you. You are your own best advocate, and, if you're not careful, can be your own worst enemy. Go with your gut/heart.

Old 11-27-2006, 02:51 PM

4 posts, read 18,756 times
Smile Positive Experience in Tucson

[Redshift -- your post was right on!]

I've lived in Tucson for just over two years, I moved from Phoenix to attend the UA because of disappointment over ASU. I lived in Phoenix for five years before moving to Tucson, and I *never* hope to go back.

Phoenix is soulless, replete with endless repetitive chain stores and housing developments. Granted in actually I lived in Glendale, west of Phoenix, but I worked in Tempe and central Phoenix. I'm fairly familiar with the Valley, although I realize my experience is not exhaustive.

Tucson possesses some definite shortcomings, but like Redfield I have lived in diverse cities/towns before living in Tucson, so I have greater comparisons. I've lived in upstate New York; Columbus Ohio, rural Ohio; Baltimore, Maryland, Westminster, Maryland and Owings Mills, Maryland; and Tacoma, Washington. I certainly haven't made a dent in geographical exploration of the States, but I have to echo Amybear's sentiments about Tucson always feeling like home.

I have to be honest and say that Tucson's jobmarket can be frustrating; sometimes hit or miss. The wages can be lower than other parts of the States, especially compared to those of the mid-West or East. I am fortunate though to be employed by a very solid company, but I realize that my company is the exception not the rule.

As far as traffic, here again I'm lucky. I work at Country Club and Valencia, and people usually only commute to this area if they have a job there. There is really nothing else out in this area except company buildings; so if you're heading down my way it's because you work there. This is as opposed to other areas in Tucson which are a hodge podge of residential, work and shopping: so there may be much more traffic. (I used to work at Campbell and River -- whoo boy!)

I have essentially developed my own personal niche in Tucson and it works for me: I realize it may not for many others.

Here's why I love living in Tucson --

I love sitting with my lover at night outside Raging Sage cafe, where you can see a glimpse of the moon through orange trees. And, I love 4th Avenue for La Indita, simply the best Mexican food in town. I love Campbell Avenue for Yoshimatsu where we can eat insanely delicious Yakisoba surrounded by Japanese kitsch and B-rated Godzilla movies. I love the Book Stop, a small Tucson staple with almost any used book you desire. And Antigone's bookstore on 4th Avenue, another Tucson independent.

I love Tucson for its gorgeous array of desert colours: purples, lavenders, bright yellows, pale greens, red browns, greys. And, I will argue anyone over this: Tucson or the Southwest at least has some of the most stunning sunsets in the world.

Tucson is almost home to a pretty well-respected university with one of the lowest tuition rates in the States. A colleague of mine attended the UA with me and she's from Ohio. She paid the same tuition for out-of-state at the UA as she would've paid for in-state in Ohio. Also you can attend the UA and find low-cost housing. Not the prettiest, but low-cost. As a student I lived in a basement apartment of a renovated building. It was awesome: just enough space for me and my two cats; windows; quiet; near 4th Avenue -- I paid $400 which included free DSL Internet access and I could walk to the UA (so no parking fees!).

Anyways, for me Tucson has been beneficial . . . I don't know if I will be here forever. As a technical writer looking to expand her horizons I may venture on up to Portland or sniff out opportunities in San Diego or Austin. But, I wouldn't trade my experience here for anything

Cheers.

Old 12-03-2006, 12:20 PM

19 posts, read 75,456 times
I adore Tucson.
Or rather... I used to adore Tucson.

At one time I worked in South Tucson.
At night.
Felt perfectly safe.

Now I try to avoid driving through there during daylight.

Illegal immigrants have brought gangs, poverty, and crime to the whole area.
Unfortunately, the city and country governments have turned a blind eye.
Nappy, the governor is pro-illegal - so the problems will only continue to get worse.

Southern Arizona is gorgeous - but be aware that there are actually signs in our national forests that warn AGAINST visiting certain areas because of all the illegal trafficing.

Old 12-03-2006, 12:46 PM

702 posts, read 3,153,978 times
Default Headline In Today's Tucson Newspaper

"GANG VIOLENCE SPREADS ACROSS TUCSON" 'nuff said!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson