Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 04:07 PM

2,916 posts, read 8,356,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Over 25 years ago, I was driving to Tucson from Florence down AZ 77 ( a lovely way to go to Tucson, if time is not of the essence and you are headed for the northwest side of town anyway). I was probably more than halfway there, deserted highway. From a distance I could see something walking across the road. I slowed, interested to see what it might be. It was an IMMENSE tarantula. I passed by in such a way as to let him continue on his way across the road. Very cool. I've never seen another one in the wild.
NEVER seen a real live out-in-the-open tarantula in Arizona... ever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellzBellz View Post
Now find a scorpion and watch them greet each other.. YIKES.
have you had the privilage to be greeted by a "Vin a ga roon" looks like a scorp without the tail.
I hate em all !! But the big "T" wont bother you, and keep the other buggers away. Except for Jorge the Javalina and his relatives. Bad Attitudes!
Only seen ONE live out-in-the-open scorpion in Arizona... ever! In the back yard! However, at the time we had just moved into a new subdivision...

Oh, plus one in Utah...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 04:12 PM

1,389 posts, read 3,536,711 times
I've seen lots of tarantulas alive and out in the open before.

Never have seen a live scorpion while kicking around out the the bush though.
Only ever saw one Gila Monster.

Many elusive critters in AZ.

Did you know if you see a tarantula, out in the wild (err, out in the open - not a pet), its almost always a male?

Last edited by Chorizo; 07-09-2009 at 04:21 PM..

Old 07-09-2009, 04:18 PM

55 posts, read 142,052 times
I'm happy to report that the little guy was gone the next morning. Must have gone back home
If any more come around, I'll post pics again!

Old 07-09-2009, 08:34 PM

2,916 posts, read 8,356,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado of Souls View Post
I'm happy to report that the little guy was gone the next morning. Must have gone back home
If any more come around, I'll post pics again!
Welcome to Tucson, Arizona, Tornado!

Old 07-09-2009, 08:40 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,434,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunInHair View Post
Looks like a tarantulla. Is it furry/hairy? Leave the poor guy alone. He won't even bite you unless you handle him roughly or try to hurt you. Bite is not venonmous. I'd worry more about black widows.
Yes, its a tarantula, member of the Aphonopelma genus. Harmless and great to have around, despite their appearance. Im quite surprised to see it up on a wall, they prefer to be on the ground in burrows or under objects.

But yes, the bite IS venomous, as are all spiders (spare a few ultra-rare species). However the venom is very weak, similar to a bee sting.

Old 07-10-2009, 12:00 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,582,165 times
My son wants a wild tarantula to keep as a pet, as well as a scorpion. I told him to make sure it wasn't a bark scorpion and gave him directions on which shelf in the detached garage he could keep the jars on. I, on the other hand, "Miss Hates Any Thing With More Than Four Legs" actually picked up a half-live, bellied up cockroach from above said son's bathroom floor the other day. I did, however, flush the toilet 9-10 times just to make sure it REALLY made it to the sewer. But, if I'd have seen a tarantuala by my front door, or a scorpion, I'd be doing laundry as soon as I made it in the house through another door as I'd need to change my pants.

Old 07-10-2009, 09:30 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,452,981 times
Some lovely tarantula pics. Observe that the first one is brown. The one I saw on the road is a much larger version of that one.

tarantula - Google Image Search

Old 07-10-2009, 10:47 AM

55 posts, read 142,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy1210 View Post
My son wants a wild tarantula to keep as a pet, as well as a scorpion. I told him to make sure it wasn't a bark scorpion and gave him directions on which shelf in the detached garage he could keep the jars on. I, on the other hand, "Miss Hates Any Thing With More Than Four Legs" actually picked up a half-live, bellied up cockroach from above said son's bathroom floor the other day. I did, however, flush the toilet 9-10 times just to make sure it REALLY made it to the sewer. But, if I'd have seen a tarantuala by my front door, or a scorpion, I'd be doing laundry as soon as I made it in the house through another door as I'd need to change my pants.
I found a very LIVE cockroach under my kitchen sink last week.. yuck.. oddly enough, a quick spray of peppermint oil killed the sucker in seconds. I can't believe you touched one with your bare hands!

Old 07-11-2009, 12:04 PM

15,130 posts, read 32,358,765 times
I lived in Tucson for 1 1/2 years, and I was warned again the sewer roaches. Yuck!

Old 07-16-2009, 01:02 AM

188 posts, read 607,961 times
omg - I'd have had a heart attack. Wonder what those big buggers look like as a giant SPLAT on the wall. Are they tough to wash off or do they just kinda plop down on to the ground and leave a little blood on the wall?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
View detailed profiles of: