Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 12:46 AM

1,049 posts, read 1,416,099 times

Advertisements

Best: long time ago l did know an amazing brunette named Maria, l can't forget .....

worst:nothing to say
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2012, 01:50 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,626,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clip314 View Post
One can find faults with every country one visits, but since Puerto Rico is so compact one sees the best and the worst right off. Among the worst features that Puerto Ricans have is a refusal to keep beaches and other recreational facilities garbage free. When you point it out they say, "what are you talking about, that's the government's job!" I think most Ricans have a lack of respect for anything green, that is except $$$$$$. They have practically deforested the island and filled the empty spaces with cement. When many Puerto Ricans buy homes many immediately cover the lawn with cement and chop down the trees. They say its too hard to keep up. One immediately notices an upper scale neighborhood by the amount of greenery it has, as opposed to other places. Some people do try but its it's not enough. The strange thing is that most Puerto Ricans complain about the rising temperatures but can't seem to figure out that the deforestation of the island has a lot to do with it.
I am in agreement with you. Perhaps, if the educational system as well as the government got hold of this issue, things will improve. Children at school, need to be taught how to save trees for the future, and parents need to teach their children to respect the environment. But, if you think PR is bad, Haiti has deforested their whole country...

I am a gardener. My home's backyard is full of trees, plants, bird houses, butterflies, hummingbirds, etc. And I have taught my children respect for the environment. I could have very easily placed a pool in my property, but trees are more important. I can always bathe in the shower......

Old 08-03-2012, 01:54 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,626,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by efrenb5 View Post
I'm still here not because I want to. I made the mistake of dropping out of college. Now I have extensive experience, but no degree. Getting a job in the US that way is very hard.

I am completing my degree on December 2013. Once that's out of the way, I'll be aggresively looking to move to Chicago, IL.

I do agree with the other poster that said that happiness can be achieved anywhere. Happiness is mostly a state of mind. In my case, I'm not that happy here and would like to try somewhere else. Other people may feel very happy here and that would be OK as well.
Chicago? Dallas, Texas is where the jobs are now.....

Old 08-04-2012, 10:52 AM

355 posts, read 1,049,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latina7 View Post
Chicago? Dallas, Texas is where the jobs are now.....
That may be true, but I have no interest in hot states. I've my share of heat and want to taste some real Winter, even if I end up hating it.

Old 02-20-2013, 07:46 PM

355 posts, read 719,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juan lopez diaz View Post
this site is a pice of shi....
Like most forums this site is a reflection of it's participants. What if anything worthwhile have you contributed?

Old 02-20-2013, 11:07 PM

4,699 posts, read 7,919,129 times

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Old 02-26-2013, 07:20 PM

1,729 posts, read 5,009,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caraibi View Post
Hola! I am from Puerto Rico, I have been blessed that I have lived in 5 different countries and have traveled a lot around the world, I have met people from different cultures and eat different food. You are right we are not perfect! we all have issues, no country is perfect if we talk about politics, creed, race, greed for money we will always find someone to point out negative things. It's a fallacy or ignorance to say that all Germans are Nazi, that all Italians are in the mafia, that Colombians are drug dealers... Which country doesn't have bad and good things? My suggestion to you all, is that while traveling or living in a foreign country, don't judge if we don't want to be judged, to flow, trying to see the best there is in human begins then our perspective to see and enjoy life changes. Happiness it has to begin with in us first, not in places or people, weather, etc...! within each one of us. We can blame our unhappiness, spend a lot of time and energy complaining and doing nothing, the weather, the ants, the traffic will be there... If we don't change our state of mind we will be and feel miserable not matter what we do and where we live. I am currently living in Georgia, US I could mention lot of positive and negative things from people, weather, ants; from here. What do I get or resolve complaining about it? Then, if we have to complain for any reason we should have at least alternatives. Helping, before leaving the country ..maybe donating time, money to a great cause, I feel is a great idea. I choose to be happy and do the best while living in GA. I do, voluntary work with young inmates, with immigrants, teaching foreign languages, yoga, meditation, etc. Again, happiness is my decision. I choose to be happy not living a miserable life. I am definitely moving back to the island soon..after all is an Enchanted Island! Once I am back, I will be a mentor, working with young people, doing voluntary work. Wishing you all the best, have a pleasant stay while visiting Puerto Rico next time. Welcome! Benvenuti! Bienvenido!
This is the kind of attitude to have, if one wants to continue being happy. Remember, PARADISE IS WITHIN YOU....

Old 02-26-2013, 07:35 PM

1,729 posts, read 5,009,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clip314 View Post
One can find faults with every country one visits, but since Puerto Rico is so compact one sees the best and the worst right off. Among the worst features that Puerto Ricans have is a refusal to keep beaches and other recreational facilities garbage free. When you point it out they say, "what are you talking about, that's the government's job!" I think most Ricans have a lack of respect for anything green, that is except $$$$$$. They have practically deforested the island and filled the empty spaces with cement. When many Puerto Ricans buy homes many immediately cover the lawn with cement and chop down the trees. They say its too hard to keep up. One immediately notices an upper scale neighborhood by the amount of greenery it has, as opposed to other places. Some people do try but its it's not enough. The strange thing is that most Puerto Ricans complain about the rising temperatures but can't seem to figure out that the deforestation of the island has a lot to do with it.
This is so sad that people have no respect for the environment and animals. Trees take so many years to grow, and they give us shade, oxygen, fruits, flowers, and they shade us from the wind. The reason I bought my first house in the USA was because it had a beautiful oak in front of the lawn.

I think the Puerto Rican Goverment needs to educate its people to many thinks, starting with cleaning up its beaches, saving their trees, planting trees in front of homes, and making people responsible for their demise, if someone removes them.

In the USA, went corporations or the government want something changed, they begin the proliferation of information a little bit at a time, until it catches on, and this is what is needed there, starting with the trees, the cleaning up of the beaches, the treatment of animals, etc., etc.

The Island is beautiful, the mentality of its people needs to change.

Old 04-27-2014, 08:36 PM

1 posts, read 1,350 times
I enjoyed reading everyone's posts. I am a gringa wanting to move to PR with my twin 13 yr old boys. I speak some Spanish (they don't) but they are half boricua and I would love for them to learn. How hard is it to find schools say in Porta del Sol area for English speaking students? I know there are many of costly private and international schools on the island but I cannot afford that unfortunately. I am a teacher and hoping to find teaching work but will work anywhere just to get my feet planted strongly and support my family. Also, will it be necessary to move into a gated community? And what does Urbanizacion mean? Like, I know what it means in Spanish but is that like section 8/government housing when a property is listed as Urb.? Thanks!!-E

Old 04-28-2014, 06:52 AM
mym

706 posts, read 1,175,318 times
urbanizacion is not necessarily sec8 or gov't housing. I don't know the English word. a planned community? I want to say neighborhood, but that seems too general and broad. You know like when some developer buys up a tract of land and puts houses on it and then it is called Urbanizacion Maria de la Hostia Perpetua or something.

and for schools, maybe this post by boricuarosa can become a sticky as it comes up a lot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by boricuarosa View Post
Anyhow, here is a valuable link: ColegiosdePR.com :: Directorio de Colegios Privados en Puerto Rico, Colegios Privados Puerto Rico, Colegios Puerto Rico, Colegios PR On that site, you may look up any private school in any city (go to pueblo) in Puerto Rico. Schools are identified as bilingial, English or Spanish only, and contact information is provided. Very useful resource for parents as nearly all private schools are listed.
I realize these are private schools and you said you may not be able to afford so perhaps you can get a job at one to allow your kids a discount as you are a teacher. public schools aren't as great you will hear and as I went to a private school I cannot attest to any personal experience. My one friend who went to a public school is doing great in the states but she was always destined to be great. I suppose as you are a teacher you could always sharpen their knowledge at home.

you do not need a gated community for the west coast in my opinion. get a house with bars on the windows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories