Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 02:48 PM

25,576 posts, read 56,460,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamlive View Post
what if i was fired for being dishonest?? they made me sign a paper saying i was dishonest..i called out and lied about the reason..they found out..i worked there for 3 years..i live in pa
You may still be granted benefits, although PA will assess a misconduct penalty - either in the form of waiting 6-8 weeks to collect or requiring you to earn a certain amount in new wages before collecting on this claim.

Lying about why you didn't come in isn't the end of world - unless you've done this consistently while employed there. Then, your benefits may be denied.

File and see where it goes. PA is not the most claimant-friendly state, so you may be denied. In which case, appeal the denial. Don't give up on the first no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2012, 03:51 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,064,506 times
Also, throw in a duress defense, "they told me they'd fire me if I didn't sign that paper, and they fired me anyway, and now they are using it against me."

Old 03-09-2012, 05:30 PM

3 posts, read 88,382 times
what if i was fired for being dishonest?? they made me sign a paper saying i was dishonest..i called out and lied about the reason..they found out..more about my situation...actually the paper i signed said i wasn t being fired for being dishonesty..however it did have a part about that in there..it didnt give me a reason why i was being fired..they didnt give me a copy of the paper either...ive never been fired from a job so i thought that was what u had to do..i can hardly read so...i signed it anyway..really i didnt know what to do..also when i went there to pick my stuff up there was an ipod that i had won from the company...there was even a picture of me with it in their showcase (car dealership..i was a lot attendant) saying i won this at "company name"...wel i had the ipod in my hand an a manager said thats so snd so's ipod..he has a receipt(of course they did..they bought it) the manager started giving me a line about how it was a joke that i won it (2 months ago) and i better give it back..it was a whole big scene..i gave it to him then i punched him..no police yet...im scared about everything...ive been punched by a salesman there before...they treated me real bad there..they tried to get me to quit so many times...they abused me there..i dont think i qualify for many jobs so i stuck it out there..i think that paper may have been something about unemployment..i dont know..i dont know how to get a copy..maybe they will make another paper with my signature..im screwed if i dont go to jail..i have a baby too

Last edited by iamlive; 03-09-2012 at 06:25 PM..

Old 03-09-2012, 05:34 PM

25,576 posts, read 56,460,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamlive View Post
what if i was fired for being dishonest?? they made me sign a paper saying i was dishonest..i called out and lied about the reason
Did you steal or embezzle or destroy property? Lying about why you called in sick is a far cry from stealing. Do not be intimidated because you were caught in a lie when calling in sick.

There are varying degrees of misconduct in the eyes of the UE offices. Lying hardly constitutes gross misconduct, unless you were lying to cover up a theft of property/money.

This is not a big deal. Your employer is trying to intimidate you because you were a "bad boy" and got caught in a lie. Don't let him win this guilt trip. It is silly.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 03-09-2012 at 06:38 PM.. Reason: To make sense of this dialogue.

Old 03-09-2012, 06:28 PM

3 posts, read 88,382 times
Default dishonesty

i did lie..a big lie..never stole..i just posted more about the whole incident

Old 08-14-2012, 08:37 AM

3 posts, read 18,787 times
Default Company Relocation - Eligible for WC benefits?

I am currently working for a company who notified all of its blue collar employees that it is relocating a majority of its manufacturing jobs 21 miles away from its current location. 21 miles further from the distance I currently commute. There is the possibility that I can work in my current location at my current pay, I would of course accept that position.

In the event that I am accepted only for a position at the new location, 21 miles further commuting distance, at my current rate, am I qualified for unemployment compensation in PA should I refuse to accept that position? My reasons for refusing the position at the new locations is additional commuting cost (gas and vehicle wear and tear), and the additional strain it would cause on my family life with commuting time.

I appreciate any knowledge or previous experience with this matter anyone may have. Thank you.

Old 08-14-2012, 08:56 AM

The increase in the commute isn't the correct variable. It's your total commute that is the issue. I don't know what PA's rules in this regard are. As an example in AZ, you're only required to work within 30 miles, 1.5 hours, or commute expenses less than 15% of gross pay.

Therefore, a claimant working 5 miles from his house with a 21 mile increase in commute would still have to keep the job, but a different claimant with the same company with a 10 mile commute, would be able to establish good cause for quitting. So please tell us your new TOTAL commute, not just the difference.

Old 08-14-2012, 10:00 AM

Default Distance

According to Mapquest, my current commute is 17 miles with a commute time of 24 minutes. The new location is listed as 32 miles with a commute time of 48 minutes. This does not factor in use of the PA Turnpike, a toll road.

Use of the PA turnpike would make my current commute almost the same time and distance (not including the nominal turnpike fee of approximately $1.65.) Using the PA turnpike to the new location would make the distance 30 miles, commute time 39 mins (not including the nominal turnpike fee of $3.00, approximately.)

Old 08-14-2012, 10:22 AM

Just noticed the commute expenses being less than 15% of gross pay, my new commute costs would be very close to this 15% number. I don't know the exact mpg of my vehicle but based on my calculations, my new commuting costs for gas alone would be approximately 16% of my gross income.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:44 AM

The cost of transportation is not based on gas cost, it's based on the IRS mileage allowance, and is upwards of 50 cents/mile. Hopefully, someone knows the exact amount. The stuff I quoted was for AZ. You have to get the PA allowances.

Also, if they are moving your job, there's a good chance that you're job at the new location won't be exactly the same as at the old location. Therefore, you can factor in any new task and say, "I never did that before," "that's a downgrade from what I was doing before," or "that task is worth more money, and they wouldn't give me a raise."

Any childcare issues? If your childcare was on the way to the old location, and you have to do any backtracking, you can factor that in as well. What about emergencies if the kids are at school? If you have a sickly child, you may not be able to get your child the medical care s/he might need in as timely a manner.

You also say, "In the event that I am accepted only for a position at the new location." You have no duty to apply for your job again. If they are making you apply for a job at the new location, and you don't want to work there, just don't apply. By default that is a discharge.

Last edited by Chyvan; 08-14-2012 at 11:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment