Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2021, 07:54 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,589,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Well, count me as one of the ten percent of people who don't rate themselves as an "above average driver."

My brother called me recently, super excited about UFOs and government intel about them being released. I said "I'm sorry, but I'm just not that excited or interested about it." He said "Why on earth not?" HERE IS MY REASON:

I can't do anything about UFOs. Same with so many other theories. I'm not going to die on any of those hills. Bigfoot? Maybe he exists, but my question is this - if he exists, where are the bones? Anyway, maybe he does, maybe he doesn't, but I can't do anything about it either way.

Loch Ness Monster? Meh, who knows? Maybe she's out there, maybe not. Once again, can't do anything about it one way or the other so it doesn't matter to me.

If there's a tracking device on my phone, I don't care about that either and you know why? Because if someone is tracking me, they must be bored out of their gourd, and I'm not doing anything illegal anyway.

Is the market going to crash? It goes up and down, and I don't control it and can't control it. So yes, I do believe that one day it's going to crash - again - and when it does, I'll be in good company because everyone will be freaked out. Oh well.

So that's why I don't seem to care. It's not that I don't care - and it's not that I'm in denial. It's that it doesn't make any difference what I do one way or the other so I have chosen to just live my life as fully as possible and with a big grin on my face as often as possible.

So there's another perspective.
I see your point and go thru periods where I feel similar, but all in all...if any of these things do exist...our world is MUCH stranger than we think!

It may not impact us on a personal/individual level ( at the moment), but big picture wise, Im sure it has implications that we are not aware of or unable to recognize, basically, if these crazy things do exist...there is a reason for it, and that MUST mean something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2021, 08:06 AM

25,567 posts, read 17,275,200 times
Quote:
Well, count me as one of the ten percent of people who don't rate themselves as an "above average driver."

My brother called me recently, super excited about UFOs and government intel about them being released. I said "I'm sorry, but I'm just not that excited or interested about it." He said "Why on earth not?" HERE IS MY REASON:

I can't do anything about UFOs. Same with so many other theories. I'm not going to die on any of those hills. Bigfoot? Maybe he exists, but my question is this - if he exists, where are the bones? Anyway, maybe he does, maybe he doesn't, but I can't do anything about it either way.

Loch Ness Monster? Meh, who knows? Maybe she's out there, maybe not. Once again, can't do anything about it one way or the other so it doesn't matter to me.

If there's a tracking device on my phone, I don't care about that either and you know why? Because if someone is tracking me, they must be bored out of their gourd, and I'm not doing anything illegal anyway.

Is the market going to crash? It goes up and down, and I don't control it and can't control it. So yes, I do believe that one day it's going to crash - again - and when it does, I'll be in good company because everyone will be freaked out. Oh well.

So that's why I don't seem to care. It's not that I don't care - and it's not that I'm in denial. It's that it doesn't make any difference what I do one way or the other so I have chosen to just live my life as fully as possible and with a big grin on my face as often as possible.

I'm guessing you are not much of a sports fan.

Sports fans seem to believe that if they paint their face strange colors, wear a shirt with someone else's name on it, scream at the top of their lungs and refer to the team as "we", it will affect a better outcome of the game.

Darndest thing I have ever seen

(Go Dawgs)

Old 06-27-2021, 11:01 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,949,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam812 View Post
To add to the funny age post, the same goes for intelligence. I have noticed people that really are smart will tell you how much they don't know but really dumb people tell you how smart they are.
Yes, they even have a term for it now--the Dunning-Kruger effect.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunnin...3Kruger_effect

Old 06-27-2021, 11:58 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,949,177 times
Quote:

I know I'm not an above average driver, either, lol. And it certainly makes sense to put your effort into things you have direct control over. At the same time, things can change quickly. So I think there's a balance between what you say and what rstevens said here:

It may not impact us on a personal/individual level ( at the moment), but big picture wise, Im sure it has implications that we are not aware of or unable to recognize, basically, if these crazy things do exist...there is a reason for it, and that MUST mean something.

Old 06-27-2021, 12:34 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,568,432 times
The stock market is always up the last six months of a Federal Reserve Board chairman's term with it averaging over 12 percent. Volcker, Greenspan, Bernanke, Yellen, and now Powell. They face a big pay day when they get picked up by Citadel. That's been the conspiracy theory that they're owned lock stock and barrel and generally accepted as another example of cronyism.

Old 06-28-2021, 06:37 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I'm guessing you are not much of a sports fan.

Sports fans seem to believe that if they paint their face strange colors, wear a shirt with someone else's name on it, scream at the top of their lungs and refer to the team as "we", it will affect a better outcome of the game.

Darndest thing I have ever seen

(Go Dawgs)
Oh I'm a huge New Orleans Saints fan! So go figgur.

Old 06-28-2021, 06:49 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,117,682 times
Catholic priests were raping little boys. The Catholic church was relocating the boy rapists to other churches and raping more boys.

Decades ago, you would been loony to say it.

Old 07-06-2021, 10:15 AM

2,451 posts, read 1,679,952 times
Here is a neat video on PBS about conspiracy theories. https://sdpb.pbslearningmedia.org/re...ove-the-noise/

I found this while looking for a full length documentary I recently seen advertised on PBS about the subject.

Old 07-06-2021, 02:10 PM

11,049 posts, read 6,637,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Laughed at that. True!

Also, go to the Retirement forum sometime. Everyone there believes they look ten years younger than they are. It's hilarious.
Make that 20 years younger, LOL. And they are all millionaires too and had high-level STEM jobs, heh.

I think many truths have been hidden by simply labeling them "conspiracies" so people are ashamed to delve into them.

Old 07-07-2021, 07:48 AM

19,706 posts, read 20,236,139 times
George Orwell 1984 Telescreen Exercise

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCfW6HFP5cI

The Smart 'Mirror' Puts A Personal Puts A Personal Trainer In Your Reflection

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSmTTZcpVGg

$1500 you can build your own dystopian society
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal