Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 01:47 PM

26,430 posts, read 46,615,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt345 View Post
Okay, people complain about how the newer suburbs are chewing up too much land, but they also complain about how houses in the newer suburbs are placed too close together. Well, which way do they want it? Do we want the houses to be placed farther apart, resulting in even more land being developed or do we want the houses closer together, resulting in higher density?
I want fairly high density in suburban areas with houses spaced fairly close together. That way, more land can be saved from development or used as open space and forest preserves. Chicago has an amazing number of forest preserves in the suburban areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2007, 09:24 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,594,298 times
Spaced farther apart = sprawl, which is wasteful in so many ways.

Old 08-09-2007, 09:25 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,355,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
What people want is not sustainable.

Deal with it.
Pretty much nothing in existence now is sustainable. Accept it and look for solutions other than pushing your city lifestyle on everyone. You're not cutting-edge.

Old 08-10-2007, 01:50 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,233,018 times
This reminds me of a fight that happened in my parents' neighborhood. A developer wanted to put a row of townhouses one block long behind my parents' subdivision. The current residents whined and moaned and complained that this one single block of townhomes would fundamentally change the character of the neighborhood -- all of them apparently oblivious to the fact that their neighborhood was an open field just 20 years ago.

"My God, what's happening to our pristine little suburb, we gotta stop this!" folks are hilarious. People have poured into suburbia by the dozens of millions for decades with no compunction about completely changing the landscape probably faster than has ever happened anywhere in human history, and changing the social fabric that existed out in what used to be small farming communities before they got engulfed. And after they completely changed the physical and social landscape to their liking, now they want to close the door behind and keep other people from making changes to their own liking? Yeah. Good luck with that.

You wanna know what happened? Nothing. Nothing different anyway. Humanity has been adapting its environment to our own needs since we first figured out how a few thousand years ago. And that process isn't going to stop just because you like things in your little corner of the earth the way they are right now. Sorry if you want your town to freeze in time like an historic re-enactment, but people need places to live and we need to build housing for them.

Old 08-10-2007, 04:31 AM

786 posts, read 4,734,240 times
Regarding the last post (from Drover). Many studies have shown that putting new multi family housing right next to a single family neighborhood lowers the property value of the homes. I can see why the neighborhood was angry. Good zoning always puts a buffer between single family homes and townhouses and apartments to maintain property values.

Old 08-10-2007, 05:10 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,233,018 times
Tell that to the tax assessor.

These were rather high-end townhouses starting in the mid-300s, and a total of maybe 10 units. These weren't "starter-home" townhouses drawing struggling families into the neighborhood and it wasn't a "sea of townhouses" like you see in other new townhouse developments. Nobody's property values went down, trust me; and that was not one of the articulated reasons for the neighbors' objections. It centered mostly around increased traffic and density, as if 10 more units in a 150-house subdivision was really going to be the last straw...

Last edited by Drover; 08-10-2007 at 05:18 AM..

Old 08-10-2007, 07:49 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,143,858 times
Quote:
Pretty much nothing in existence now is sustainable.
Is that you best excuse for unsustainable planning and development?

Quote:
Accept it and look for solutions other than pushing your city lifestyle on everyone.
It's not about "pushing" any lifestyle. However, one has to be mature enough to deal with this on an adult level of which I am not seeing here.

Quote:
You're not cutting-edge.

I didn't know that any of this was. None of this is new.

Old 08-10-2007, 10:12 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,958,585 times
One thing to keep in mind is that the population of the US has doubled in 50 years and is now over 300 million. Additionally, rural farming areas continue to depopulate in favor of urban areas since that's where the jobs are. Increased housing density in urban areas is a natural result and will continue into the future.

Old 08-10-2007, 11:00 AM

1,360 posts, read 2,952,470 times
What you're talking about is urbanization . Suburbs are less dense. I think more people are favoring density because a. it is cost effective: more people to pay for infrastructure , and less driving to get where you need to go. b. denser areas are usually associated with a proximity to jobs. c. less yard to take care of = more time to work and/or play. The good news is that there re now more options for living situations than ever.

Old 08-10-2007, 12:40 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,355,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
Is that you best excuse for unsustainable planning and development?
Certainly not. It's my way of saying that high-density is not a simple solution to all this. There are much bigger changes that need to be made to everyone's lifestyle. Singling-out the suburbs and applying a band-aid is not going to solve much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning