Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 07:39 AM

786 posts, read 4,733,418 times

Advertisements

What ever happened to the suburbs? I use to think of the suburbs as a relief from the problems of the City. One would move out to the suburbs to have:

Low density housing with big yards, lots of trees and park land

Crime free neighborhoods with mostly middle to upper class people

Good schools with people who shared a suburban mindset

Limited space devoted to commercial development ( people would go downtown to shop)
============================
Today's suburbs are more like the big City we left to get away from all the problems. Who decided to make the suburbs into Big Cities?

Do you really want high density housing in your suburb?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2007, 08:01 AM

2,367 posts, read 7,656,959 times
I like it,because Im a city person,and when the suburbs are more like the city,than I don't have to live in the city limits,because I'll still feel like Im in the city in the burbs.Alot of people from the city now are moving into the suburbs now.

Old 08-09-2007, 08:22 AM

26,411 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Yes, suburban areas should be high density with houses spaced close together. That way, less land is wasted and more is available for greenbelts. Chicago is a city that has many greenbelts in the suburban areas.

Old 08-09-2007, 08:31 AM

2,367 posts, read 7,656,959 times
Alot of older suburbs like the one Im from Euclid have thier houses closer together justlike the city.Especially the part Im from cause its right by Cleveland.Now the newer suburbs seem to be spreading the houses out by 10-15 feet,or they build really big houses that aren't even nice,thier not good arhcitecturely,thier basically the same as the houses right next to them,thier cookie cutters in a sub-division.There is a difference between older and newer suburbs.In fact alot of the older suburbs seem alot more urban and dense than alot of the newer cities(newer areas in cities).

Old 08-09-2007, 08:35 AM

786 posts, read 4,733,418 times
Here in Northern Va, they have developed many of those high density developments and I do not see how they have saved any trees or created a green belt.

The development I live in was built in the 1960s and they kept about half of the trees. There are large common area with fields and woods. Basically there are 2 houses per acre.

Today's developments do not have the large common areas, are treeless and the people are right next to each other. There is no where to park the car and you hear the conversations of the neighbors because you live so close. The traffic leaving all the new neighborhoods is terrible because so many people live so close to each other packed in like sardines in a small super urban area. This is the suburbs?

Old 08-09-2007, 10:20 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,588,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
What ever happened to the suburbs? I use to think of the suburbs as a relief from the problems of the City. One would move out to the suburbs to have:

Low density housing with big yards, lots of trees and park land

Crime free neighborhoods with mostly middle to upper class people

Good schools with people who shared a suburban mindset

Limited space devoted to commercial development ( people would go downtown to shop)
============================
Today's suburbs are more like the big City we left to get away from all the problems. Who decided to make the suburbs into Big Cities?

Do you really want high density housing in your suburb?
What's happened? The crows have come home to roost, that's what happened. 1950s-19702 suburban development was just not sustainable.

Old 08-09-2007, 11:09 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,352,002 times
So you dictate market demand now? What's built is what people want. Deal with it.

Old 08-09-2007, 11:14 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,141,538 times
Quote:
So you dictate market demand now? What's built is what people want. Deal with it.
What people want is not sustainable.

Deal with it.

Old 08-09-2007, 11:16 AM

1,477 posts, read 4,406,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Well, that is not exactly true. Many factors influence infrastructure and demand is only a part (although granted a significant part).

I think a big part of the reason the Northern VA burbs are becoming more and more dense is because of the anti-sprawl policies that many of the counties instituted years ago. They did it to save green space and to try and attempt to control the horrible traffic. Those policies BTW were a good thing and I wish all metro areas would institute such changes.

Me thinks it's the OP's expectations that are off actually. Northern VA is part of one of the largest metro areas in the country. If you want small town charms and a lot of space I suggest you move to SW VA or some place like that. Plenty of open space down there. If you are going to live in or around a major city you can't expect to live in your typical suburban bland development. It's simply not sustainable.

Old 08-09-2007, 01:44 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,609,068 times
Okay, people complain about how the newer suburbs are chewing up too much land, but they also complain about how houses in the newer suburbs are placed too close together. Well, which way do they want it? Do we want the houses to be placed farther apart, resulting in even more land being developed or do we want the houses closer together, resulting in higher density?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning