Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2023, 03:59 PM

9,093 posts, read 6,314,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
It's not my subjective opinion - if everyone on my son's block in Shaw, DC has their packages stolen on a regular basis. It's an unpleasant place to live.

If my son sees drug dealers selling on streets, obviously drug dealers bring in their own crime and territorial fights.

All things that are not on your YouTube videos. Like -

https://www.fox5dc.com/news/chinatow...-surging-crime

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md...tander-killed/

https://wamu.org/story/15/09/04/how_...dland_terrace/

The first signs of crime in Shaw DC were harassment and stolen mail. Did you see any signs of crime in Shaw, DC YouTube videos? Why not? Perhaps YouTube videos are not real life!
YouTube videos are preferred by ideologues precisely because they do not display reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2023, 04:24 PM

7,342 posts, read 4,131,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
YouTube videos are preferred by ideologues precisely because they do not display reality.
Very true!

Old 09-17-2023, 11:29 PM

537 posts, read 189,795 times
Quote:
It's not my subjective opinion - if everyone on my son's block in Shaw, DC has their packages stolen on a regular basis. It's an unpleasant place to live.

If my son sees drug dealers selling on streets, obviously drug dealers bring in their own crime and territorial fights.

All things that are not on your YouTube videos. Like -

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md...tander-killed/

https://wamu.org/story/15/09/04/how_...dland_terrace/

The first signs of crime in Shaw DC were harassment and stolen mail. Did you see any signs of crime in Shaw, DC YouTube videos? Why not? Perhaps YouTube videos are not real life!
Stolen packages are not high crime. It may be unpleasant, but that doesn't mean the neighborhood is as dangerous as some ghetto.

Newspaper articles about incidents of crimes are no evidence for high crime rates either.

And surge in crime is no evidence for high crime either. A surge from 1 to 2 is an increase by 100%, but that's still not a 10 like somewhere else.

And this is the problem with reports like these. They do not show us how is the crime relative to other areas.

These newspaper articles are pretty much worthless in evaluating this.

Old 09-17-2023, 11:31 PM

Quote:
So someone filming an area is not displaying reality, but written newspaper articles about some incidents of crimes are showing the daily the life in an area?

Old 09-18-2023, 08:22 AM

9,093 posts, read 6,314,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stadtmensch View Post
So someone filming an area is not displaying reality, but written newspaper articles about some incidents of crimes are showing the daily the life in an area?
Unless the videographer is creating videos on multiple days at random times of the same specific location then the videos are NOT showing the daily life of the area. Occasional videos are no better than written newspaper articles.

Old 09-18-2023, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Newspaper articles about incidents of crimes are no evidence for high crime rates either.

And surge in crime is no evidence for high crime either. A surge from 1 to 2 is an increase by 100%, but that's still not a 10 like somewhere else.

And this is the problem with reports like these. They do not show us how is the crime relative to other areas.

These newspaper articles are pretty much worthless in evaluating this.
So my newspaper article from this summer:

Quote:
WASHINGTON - Residents in Chinatown and the Shaw community told city leaders and police Thursday that they are sick and tired of the rampant crime.

Near the U Street Corridor, Councilmember Brianne Nadeau heard from a room full of community members who are fed up.

So a room full of community members input is less important than your YouTube videos?

You're like those three monkeys - see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil - because YouTube said so!

Keep tell yourself that!

Old 09-18-2023, 10:40 AM

Quote:
So my newspaper article from this summer:

So a room full of community members input is less important than your YouTube videos?

You're like those three monkeys - see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil - because YouTube said so!

Keep tell yourself that!
You don't understand what I am saying. I am not denying there is a rise in crime, but this doesn't tell us anything about the crime level relative to worse looking neighborhoods.

Old 09-18-2023, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Unless the videographer is creating videos on multiple days at random times of the same specific location then the videos are NOT showing the daily life of the area. Occasional videos are no better than written newspaper articles.
Not really, the newspaper articles highlights certain events. They tell us nothing about what is the probability of those events. If you watch those videos you can at least say there is no such event during the video was recorded and there are no signs that are usually related to crimes, such as visual decay.

Old 09-18-2023, 10:44 AM

Quote:
You don't understand what I am saying. I am not denying there is a rise in crime, but this doesn't tell us anything about the crime level relative to worse looking neighborhoods.
Why does it have to be the WORSE neighborhood for crime? Can it be the fourth, third or second worse and still be undesirable location to live?

How bad does crime have to be for you not to want to live there?

You're cherrypicking your facts.

Old 09-18-2023, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Why does it have to be the WORSE neighborhood for crime? Can it be the fourth, third or second worse and still be undesirable location to live?

How bad does crime have to be for you not to want to live there?

You're cherrypicking your facts.
You cited newspaper articles that report about individual crimes. That's the very definition of cherry picking.

You would notice if there is a drastic difference in crime level between two neighborhoods, because they would look completely different. That's as certain, as the media exaggerating individual crimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning