Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2023, 05:55 PM

3,438 posts, read 4,450,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stadtmensch View Post
Back to the topic. Human scale neighborhoods are still being produced. The area of Cologne that I previously showed in Google Streetview is called Clouth Quarter. The quarter is on the former factory site of the former Clouth Gummiwerke AG.

Today I was there making some photos to get some impressions you can not see from the streets.

Some of the apartment complexes have nice and large shared backyards.

It is also very family friendly. I have seen plenty of children there, which I didn't want to photograph of course.

There are playgrounds everywhere and there is a nice park within the quarter.

IMG_4226 by Stadtbewohner, auf Flickr

IMG_4242 by Stadtbewohner, auf Flickr

IMG_4231 by Stadtbewohner, auf Flickr

IMG_4240 by Stadtbewohner, auf Flickr

IMG_4234 by Stadtbewohner, auf Flickr

IMG_4238 by Stadtbewohner, auf Flickr

IMG_4216 by Stadtbewohner, auf Flickr

IMG_4211 by Stadtbewohner, auf Flickr

IMG_4250 by Stadtbewohner, auf Flickr

This all looks like bunkers with a brick or stucco facade.
What little "personal space" might exist with a unit is not very private.

What you are promoting might generate some interest among a population of people limited to renting. But these apartments are not appealing to people that prefer detached housing, a yard, personal space, private space, air conditioning, a modicum of architectural appeal for their own living quarters, and a place to park their cars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2023, 05:58 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,788,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IC_deLight View Post

What you are promoting might generate some interest among a population of people limited to renting. But these apartments are not appealing to people that prefer detached housing, a yard, personal space, private space, air conditioning, a modicum of architectural appeal for their own living quarters, and a place to park their cars.
And a place for their children to play without playing chicken with cars.

Old 08-13-2023, 12:01 AM

535 posts, read 188,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
Pathetic. You defend children being exposed to getting into accidents with cars just to satisfy your density religion.

Roads are for cars and people getting from one place to another. Children need to play in playgrounds.
Apparently German children have more freedom to play where they want. Poor American micro managed kids.

Last edited by Stadtmensch; 08-13-2023 at 12:11 AM..

Old 08-13-2023, 12:06 AM

Quote:

It's funny how you say they look like bunkers, but you don't say this about the pick up trucks that drive around in your country, which look exactly like this, driving bunkers.

You don't have to like boxy architecture. Not everyone wants to live in outdated American architecture.

But you are right in the sense, that they were built like bunkers compared to flimsy American homes. They are built using solid concrete.

Stucco isn't a thing in Germany.

Old 08-13-2023, 02:37 PM

4,597 posts, read 2,988,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stadtmensch View Post
You don't have to like boxy architecture.
Eh, neither country has a monopoly on good architecture, or bad architecture.

Actually, for better or worse, your modern Cologne apartments resemble the ones going up in Seattle now:

www.google.com/maps/@47.6279012,-122.3423138,3a,75y,307.96h,101.42t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sQBqzExgwcUwoUEx9gTRDPw!2e0!7i1 6384!8i8192?entry=ttu

But aesthetically, I'd go for the old buildings shown in your post #44.
Those were in very human-scale neighborhoods too... no cars in sight.

Old 08-13-2023, 06:28 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,586,547 times
First, I'm not sure why this became us vs them at all, let alone just between Germany and the US. If it's gotta be us vs them you could at least make it Western Europe vs the US. As I read it, this thread is not intended to be about what's better, but about how you define what a human scale neighborhood is and what you think meets the definition.

From the OP:

This thread is about human scale neighborhoods.
Human scale neighborhoods are defined by narrow streets and not so tall buildings.
Human scale neighborhoods are walkable, cozy and interesting.
The exterior walls of human scale neighborhoods provide shade in the summer and protection against wind in the winter.
Human scale neighborhoods are cost effective and good for the environment.

I've highlighted two critical aspects of the OP's definition of a human scale neighborhood. "Walkable, interesting, good for the environment" - to me, the only way to meet those standards is: you don't have to drive from a residential area to get to a downtown business area; you can walk - and that's better for the environment. Throw in "cozy" and "interesting" and, in the US, it means a distinct city neighborhood or a small town with a variety of architectural styles and available shopping and services. You'd be hard pressed to find a small town in the US that meets those standards and was incorporated after the 1800s. Urban sprawl is rare in Western Europe and suburbs with their own, walkable downtown are exceedingly rare in the US. It just stands to reason that you're going to find more neighborhoods that fit the OP's definition of human scale in Western Europe than in the US.

I consider myself lucky to have been raised in a small town that meets the standards set out in the OP. It has lovely, tree-lined streets, single family houses with gardens and green lawns, and a few inconspicuous apartment buildings. The houses, as well as the buildings in the town center, are built from a variety of materials and in different architectural styles that add interest without clashing. There are actual blocks with sidewalks all around – but not in a grid – the village has a combination of straight, winding, hilly roads, and parks so it isn’t boring to walk or drive in the area. Residential areas have narrower streets – some one way but most are two ways. If someone is parked at the curb one driver pulls over to let the other pass. The main street into town (“up the street”) is broad enough for cars to be parked on one side and still have unimpeded two-way driving. There’s a butcher, cobbler, seamstress, cafes, a movie theater, library, bank, schools, and other goods and services to meet most needs – including medical care and a hospital. None of those places is more than a 5-10 minute walk from the other. The actual city where many residents work is an easy 20 minute drive along the boulevard next to the river. In the city, there are a number of distinct neighborhoods with apartment buildings, town houses, lofts, parks, grocery stores, and other goods and services within an easy walk. The city is one of the top 50 cities in the US with the most green space per capita – another aspect that is good for the environment.

I think how and where kids are able to play is a crucial aspect of what the OP is calling human scale neighborhoods. Growing up, we played in many of the residential side streets, rode bikes, and came home by dusk. Kids still do that there but it’s an exception in the US. Kids in Europe and far more free range and it works. It’s a cultural thing – and I don’t mean culture in terms of nationality but in terms of mind set. It’s also practical – many places in the US aren’t designed for kids to play in the streets safely. Plus, a lot of parents are reluctant to let their kids out on their own – just period. Here’s an interesting piece about municipal legislation regarding playing in the street. The upshot is, the municipality has some practical guidelines and trusts the citizens – children and adults – to figure out together how to make it work for everyone. It’s a great way to learn problem solving and to build a closely knit community. https://otlablog.com/road-hockey-let-kids-play/

Old 08-14-2023, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
First, I'm not sure why this became us vs them at all, let alone just between Germany and the US. If it's gotta be us vs them you could at least make it Western Europe vs the US. As I read it, this thread is not intended to be about what's better, but about how you define what a human scale neighborhood is and what you think meets the definition.
Well if you read post 26 by albert648 you understand why.

Quote:
From the OP:

This thread is about human scale neighborhoods.
Human scale neighborhoods are defined by narrow streets and not so tall buildings.
Human scale neighborhoods are walkable, cozy and interesting.
The exterior walls of human scale neighborhoods provide shade in the summer and protection against wind in the winter.
Human scale neighborhoods are cost effective and good for the environment.

I've highlighted two critical aspects of the OP's definition of a human scale neighborhood. "Walkable, interesting, good for the environment" - to me, the only way to meet those standards is: you don't have to drive from a residential area to get to a downtown business area; you can walk - and that's better for the environment. Throw in "cozy" and "interesting" and, in the US, it means a distinct city neighborhood or a small town with a variety of architectural styles and available shopping and services. You'd be hard pressed to find a small town in the US that meets those standards and was incorporated after the 1800s. Urban sprawl is rare in Western Europe and suburbs with their own, walkable downtown are exceedingly rare in the US. It just stands to reason that you're going to find more neighborhoods that fit the OP's definition of human scale in Western Europe than in the US.
That's out of question. However Boston North End is what comes to my mind when I think about walkable cozy neighborhoods in the US.

Quote:
I consider myself lucky to have been raised in a small town that meets the standards set out in the OP. It has lovely, tree-lined streets, single family houses with gardens and green lawns, and a few inconspicuous apartment buildings. The houses, as well as the buildings in the town center, are built from a variety of materials and in different architectural styles that add interest without clashing. There are actual blocks with sidewalks all around – but not in a grid – the village has a combination of straight, winding, hilly roads, and parks so it isn’t boring to walk or drive in the area. Residential areas have narrower streets – some one way but most are two ways. If someone is parked at the curb one driver pulls over to let the other pass. The main street into town (“up the street”) is broad enough for cars to be parked on one side and still have unimpeded two-way driving. There’s a butcher, cobbler, seamstress, cafes, a movie theater, library, bank, schools, and other goods and services to meet most needs – including medical care and a hospital. None of those places is more than a 5-10 minute walk from the other. The actual city where many residents work is an easy 20 minute drive along the boulevard next to the river. In the city, there are a number of distinct neighborhoods with apartment buildings, town houses, lofts, parks, grocery stores, and other goods and services within an easy walk. The city is one of the top 50 cities in the US with the most green space per capita – another aspect that is good for the environment.
Sounds good, although you'd probably have to see it to make a conclusive judgement.

Quote:
I think how and where kids are able to play is a crucial aspect of what the OP is calling human scale neighborhoods. Growing up, we played in many of the residential side streets, rode bikes, and came home by dusk. Kids still do that there but it’s an exception in the US. Kids in Europe and far more free range and it works. It’s a cultural thing – and I don’t mean culture in terms of nationality but in terms of mind set. It’s also practical – many places in the US aren’t designed for kids to play in the streets safely. Plus, a lot of parents are reluctant to let their kids out on their own – just period. Here’s an interesting piece about municipal legislation regarding playing in the street. The upshot is, the municipality has some practical guidelines and trusts the citizens – children and adults – to figure out together how to make it work for everyone. It’s a great way to learn problem solving and to build a closely knit community. https://otlablog.com/road-hockey-let-kids-play/
I can not believe they banned it in the first place.

Old 08-14-2023, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
Eh, neither country has a monopoly on good architecture, or bad architecture.

Actually, for better or worse, your modern Cologne apartments resemble the ones going up in Seattle now:

www.google.com/maps/@47.6279012,-122.3423138,3a,75y,307.96h,101.42t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sQBqzExgwcUwoUEx9gTRDPw!2e0!7i1 6384!8i8192?entry=ttu
The architectural style might be similar, but it lacks many of the outdoor amenities that make the Clouth Quarter so livable, such as balconies, shared backyards, flowers, playgrounds, outdoor benches etc.

Actually these complexes look much more how some here described the Clouth Quarter. It's absurd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
But aesthetically, I'd go for the old buildings shown in your post #44.
Those were in very human-scale neighborhoods too... no cars in sight.
But it is old. My point was to show newly built human scale neighborhoods. The reaction was merely on the architecture. It wasn't me who drifted into the off-topic architecture discussion.

Old 08-30-2023, 10:29 PM

2,639 posts, read 1,992,877 times
I recall a comment to another thread in which a distinction was made between an "urban pocket" and an "urban neighborhood". What does it take for an urban area to gel into an urban neighborhood?

Old 09-05-2023, 05:04 PM

16,507 posts, read 26,285,643 times
Quote:

This style of living is extremely popular. That's why cities all over the country are building neighborhoods like these. Most people don't even use their yards.
Everything else you said doesn't make sense, you can have personal space, private space (no idea what the difference is there), air conditioning (such a wierd thing to suggest isn't in modern apartments), architectural appeal coming from US suburbs is hilarious, and there are parking garages and parking spots all over US cities, it's actually holding our cities back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning