Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2023, 09:50 AM

537 posts, read 189,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
Well, I lived in Washington Heights in the late 1980's/early 90's during the crack epidemic. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crack_..._United_States

So criminals tend not to operate in their own neighborhoods. Mainly because, these neighborhoods are poor. Instead criminals go to wealthier neighborhoods to steal. Generally, they will not steal from their local poor bodega. Instead, they will steal from Saks Fifth Avenue or Macy's. They will rob a well-dressed subway rider on the Upper West Side rather than a poorer subway rider in Harlem. Additionally, to stealing more in high income neighborhoods, wealthier people use the police more so two reasons why crime statistics will be higher in wealthier areas.

This does not mean where the criminals live are safe. It means their neighborhoods have different issues. Their issues stem from poverty, housing evictions and domestic violence. For instance, there are more shooting in poor areas because of criminals shooting each other to assert their dominance.

My son moved out of D.C.'s Shaw neighborhood when two drug dealers vying for the same territory began shooting on his block. Unfortunately, they missed and killed a third party waiting for a bus. My son's mail including boxes was stolen. If a package was delivered, the criminals would open it, take the contents and leave the packaging. A birthday cards with or without a check enclosed or a business' refund check were stolen. If you look at Shaw's street views, it looks pretty safe.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSPP4V_JQdI. or
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xL_50bmS8BY. However,

There is a second problem . . . if two gangster criminals are fighting over a drug territory and how beats up the other one, is anyone going to report this to the police? Of course, not!!! Both criminals are already known to the police so crimes against each other aren't ever reported. In poor areas, residents know never to call the police because their streets are regulated by criminals. For example: "Snitches get stitches" is a modern idiom that refers to a threat made if someone tips off the police. The phrase is most frequently used in street culture, but it also appears in a lot of movies and music, especially rap music.

Less violent crime at Saks Fifth Avenue areas with more police involvement.

More violent crime in poor area with less police involvement.
According to your example, crime in better looking neighborhoods is overestimated in comparison with worse looking neighborhoods, which reinforces my approach to judge a neighborhood i.e. by look. And do you really think that makes any significant difference for the homicide statistics? I don't know any case, where crime statistics do not correlate with the actual cases of crimes committed in an area. And it's not like there is no research on unreported crimes. And even if you have lived in area, your judgement is still subjective, since your impressions are neither comprehensive nor representative. You can be robbed twice a year in the safest neighborhood while the rest of the residents experienced zero crime during the same time. Then this one person goes on the internet and tells us how unsafe it is to live in this place. Personal anecdotes are no evidence. it's highly unlikely I will watch a Youtube video and judge an area as safe when it isn't. There are certain signs of crime in an area everyone recognizes immediately. You don't have to live there to know it's dangerous there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2023, 10:22 AM

7,334 posts, read 4,127,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stadtmensch View Post
According to your example, crime in better looking neighborhoods is overestimated in comparison with worse looking neighborhoods, which reinforces my approach to judge a neighborhood i.e. by look. And do you really think that makes any significant difference for the homicide statistics? I don't know any case, where crime statistics do not correlate with the actual cases of crimes committed in an area. And it's not like there is no research on unreported crimes. And even if you have lived in area, your judgement is still subjective, since your impressions are neither comprehensive nor representative. You can be robbed twice a year in the safest neighborhood while the rest of the residents experienced zero crime during the same time. Then this one person goes on the internet and tells us how unsafe it is to live in this place. Personal anecdotes are no evidence. it's highly unlikely I will watch a Youtube video and judge an area as safe when it isn't. There are certain signs of crime in an area everyone recognizes immediately. You don't have to live there to know it's dangerous there.
Not over overestimated. High income area crime reports are the actually crime numbers. Poor neighborhoods under report crimes.

It's not one person's observation. Everyone in Shaw has their mailbox robbed on a daily basis. My son said the saddest sign was his neighbor's sign that "I hope you like my college graduation gown, I can't attend without it." My son was out with friends - one of which was robbed. He reported to the police who said they were understaffed and couldn't file a report.

So what are the indications of crime in the Shaw neighborhood of DC from YouTube videos? List three signs of the crime level!

BTW, my son's friend also lived in Shaw - she is a woman and was daily harassed by homeless people. This harassment ruin her life and she fled her apartment.

Old 09-14-2023, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Not over overestimated. High income area crime reports are the actually crime numbers. Poor neighborhoods under report crimes.

It's not one person's observation. Everyone in Shaw has their mailbox robbed on a daily basis. My son said the saddest sign was his neighbor's sign that "I hope you like my college graduation gown, I can't attend without it." My son was out with friends - one of which was robbed. He reported to the police who said they were understaffed and couldn't file a report.

So what are the indications of crime in the Shaw neighborhood of DC from YouTube videos? List three signs of the crime level!

BTW, my son's friend also lived in Shaw - she is a woman and was daily harassed by homeless people. This harassment ruin her life and she fled her apartment.
If people in affluent neighborhoods are more likely to report crimes to the police compared to less affluent neighborhoods, then crime in more affluent neighborhoods is overestimated.

It doesn't matter if the number of people who report crimes goes from 1 to 10, it's still a tiny fraction of the overall population of the area and does not represent the overall level of crime in the area.

There is no evidence there is a significant difference between reported crimes and actual crimes in the area. Your personal experience is still no replacement for actual crime statistics. Few if any places are 100% safe. Crimes can happen everywhere. That doesn't mean the area has lots of crime. Myself has never experienced any crime while living in the city for more than 10 years. Yet I know there is crime here, because of the statistics. My experience is as worth as is yours.

Old 09-14-2023, 10:55 AM

Quote:
If people in affluent neighborhoods are more likely to report crimes to the police compared to less affluent neighborhoods, then crime in more affluent neighborhoods is overestimated.

It doesn't matter if the number of people who report crimes goes from 1 to 10, it's still a tiny fraction of the overall population of the area and does not represent the overall level of crime in the area.

There is no evidence there is a significant difference between reported crimes and actual crimes in the area. Your personal experience is still no replacement for actual crime statistics. Few if any places are 100% safe. Crimes can happen everywhere. That doesn't mean the area has lots of crime. Myself has never experienced any crime while living in the city for more than 10 years. Yet I know there is crime here, because of the statistics. My experience is as worth as is yours.
You need to get off the computer and see the world. You still need to find signs of crime in Shaw DC street videos.

First, you don't understand the word "overestimate."

Quote:
Overestimated - estimate (something) to be better, larger, or more important than it really is. "his influence cannot be overestimated"
An actually number is not an estimate. An actually number is defined -

Quote:
define. verb(tr) to state precisely the meaning of (words, terms, etc) to describe the nature, properties, or essential qualities of.
An actually number is finite

Quote:
finite - (of a verb form) having a specific tense, number, and person.
You can only report what the government classifies as crime. Experiencing harassment while walking down a street is not a crime. Stealing mail and packages is not a reportable crime. What makes living in a neighborhood unpleasant is not necessarily considered a reportable crime.

Last edited by YorktownGal; 09-14-2023 at 11:12 AM..

Old 09-14-2023, 01:06 PM

Quote:
You need to get off the computer and see the world. You still need to find signs of crime in Shaw DC street videos.

First, you don't understand the word "overestimate."

An actually number is not an estimate. An actually number is defined -

An actually number is finite

You can only report what the government classifies as crime. Experiencing harassment while walking down a street is not a crime. Stealing mail and packages is not a reportable crime. What makes living in a neighborhood unpleasant is not necessarily considered a reportable crime.
"Overestimated" RELATIVE to worse looking neighborhoods, not in absolute numbers.

Why should I tell you the signs of high crime in this area? You claimed it has high crime, not me.

I don't if "harassment" isn't considered a crime there, but if harassment and mail theft are your biggest concerns you should visit some of these worse looking neighborhoods and experience the different first hand.

Old 09-14-2023, 03:43 PM

Quote:
"Overestimated" RELATIVE to worse looking neighborhoods, not in absolute numbers.

Why should I tell you the signs of high crime in this area? You claimed it has high crime, not me.

I don't if "harassment" isn't considered a crime there, but if harassment and mail theft are your biggest concerns you should visit some of these worse looking neighborhoods and experience the different first hand.

The word you are looking for is overrepresentation.

Quote:
adjective: represented excessively, especially : having representatives in a proportion higher than the average
A livable neighborhood is safe to walk down the street. It has mail delivered on a regular basis. You stand at the bus stop without worry about pickpockets or gunfire. Your drug store doesn't lock up laundry detergent to stop shoplifting. Supermarkets are clean. You can't judge that by YouTube videos.

Old 09-14-2023, 06:05 PM

3,438 posts, read 4,452,517 times
Quote:

A livable neighborhood is safe to walk down the street. It has mail delivered on a regular basis. You stand at the bus stop without worry about pickpockets or gunfire. Your drug store doesn't lock up laundry detergent to stop shoplifting. Supermarkets are clean. You can't judge that by YouTube videos.
Last time I was in Paris there were signs everywhere warning of pickpockets. Now Stadtmensch might see that on a YouTube video and conclude pickpockets were a problem in Paris and not a problem where he did not see such signs.

We don't put up signs in the U.S. warning observers about crime or danger from humans. The lack of signs and absence of crime in action on some YouTube video is hardly an endorsement that an area is free of any particular type of criminal activity or that crime isn't rampant. Watching a "walking video" where you are provided text information that the humidity is 90% or the temperature 112° isn't the same as experiencing it. Knowing people that have kids isn't the same as having kids or understanding the responsibility that comes with same. His experience is such that he doesn't recognize its limitation or the problems with his rationale due to lack of experience.

Stadtmensch aka Donnerwetter aka Centralplanner aka Stadtfluss aka Stadthaus is relegated to internet surfing for his facts and "experience". Obviously high density areas aren't great for socializing or else he'd find something more productive than provoking arguments on city-data about the alleged superiority of density. He's changed aliases multiple times yet is readily recognizable due to his anti-American posts and zealotry for everything dense. There are hundreds of pages of threads in which he tries to promote his density and anti-car religion and claims Americans have too big of a house, too much personal space, useless yards, too much private space, lack of "freedom of movement", and mocks Americans for riding around in "bubbles" instead of taking [nonexistent] public transit. Many of those threads were closed by moderators because they devolved into nothing but argument.

The OP's personal preference are wholly irrelevant to anyone else and will have absolutely no impact nor result in any change of opinion, personal preference, or lifestyle in America - or anywhere else for that matter. People select where they are going to live based upon job, school, family, resources, and personal preferences - all of which change during one's lifetime - but not because of some anonymous provocateur in a distant country.

Old 09-14-2023, 10:54 PM

Quote:

I don't really care whether you're talking about representation or overestimation.

Of course you can walk down the street in a safe neighborhood and have your mail delivered regularly and you don't have to worry about pickpockets or theft, but absolute security is very rare and besides, that doesn't just mean theft occasionally happens here and the area is automatically unsafe or is as unsafe as the areas that look much worse. So I still doubt that the areas that look worse are actually safer than the areas that look better. I didn't make any statements about the absolute security situation in this area and ruled out the possibility that there were minor crimes there, but I made a comparison and I think you would find this comparison not only in the statistics, but also if you lived there and would have a comprehensive overview of all crimes, which is very unlikely because no one can be everywhere and at all times. So the argument from experience is completely pointless.

Of course, a YouTube video gives a rough but very good impression of whether an area is crime-ridden or not. Of course I can't rule it out. That's a good looking one, there were no crimes at all but that wasn't my argument at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC_deLight View Post
Last time I was in Paris there were signs everywhere warning of pickpockets. Now Stadtmensch might see that on a YouTube video and conclude pickpockets were a problem in Paris and not a problem where he did not see such signs.

We don't put up signs in the U.S. warning observers about crime or danger from humans. The lack of signs and absence of crime in action on some YouTube video is hardly an endorsement that an area is free of any particular type of criminal activity or that crime isn't rampant. Watching a "walking video" where you are provided text information that the humidity is 90% or the temperature 112° isn't the same as experiencing it. Knowing people that have kids isn't the same as having kids or understanding the responsibility that comes with same. His experience is such that he doesn't recognize its limitation or the problems with his rationale due to lack of experience.

Stadtmensch aka Donnerwetter aka Centralplanner aka Stadtfluss aka Stadthaus is relegated to internet surfing for his facts and "experience". Obviously high density areas aren't great for socializing or else he'd find something more productive than provoking arguments on city-data about the alleged superiority of density. He's changed aliases multiple times yet is readily recognizable due to his anti-American posts and zealotry for everything dense. There are hundreds of pages of threads in which he tries to promote his density and anti-car religion and claims Americans have too big of a house, too much personal space, useless yards, too much private space, lack of "freedom of movement", and mocks Americans for riding around in "bubbles" instead of taking [nonexistent] public transit. Many of those threads were closed by moderators because they devolved into nothing but argument.

The OP's personal preference are wholly irrelevant to anyone else and will have absolutely no impact nor result in any change of opinion, personal preference, or lifestyle in America - or anywhere else for that matter. People select where they are going to live based upon job, school, family, resources, and personal preferences - all of which change during one's lifetime - but not because of some anonymous provocateur in a distant country.
I guess from now on you will only make statements about things that you have actually personally experienced. If I catch you making statements about things you did not witness, I will immediately point it out to show you the absurdity of your argument.

And of course you also use straw man arguments again. No one has claimed that the area is completely safe, it's a question of whether the impression matches the safety. I don't need to live there to experience it, I just need to look at the signs of crime, of course I don't mean signs in the literal sense, but signs in the sense of what is typical of an area is criminal.

For example, what are signs of a dangerous area?

1. an unkempt appearance
2. People loitering in front of houses
3. Garbage on the streets and sidewalks
4. People telling the cameraman that he is not allowed to go through there or that he should go away
5. Damaged infrastructure, damaged cars and damaged houses
6. Gangster rap playing from loudspeakers
7. Etc

Of course, the whole thing must always be viewed in the overall context.

You don't need to experience a certain climate to know that people in other areas have the same temperatures and still do things differently.

And I don't need to know what it's like to have children myself. When I see people who have children and live in this environment and don't complain or stay in this area, what more evidence do you need? I also lived in a family like you might imagine and I have a very close relationship with my sister's family and actually know their problems and worries very well.

And I remind you never again to make any statements about what it's like to live as a single in a city, since you seem to be of the opinion that you shouldn't make any statements at all about things that you haven't personally experienced.

Don't worry for me. I only spend a small part of my life on City Data. Unlike you, who hasn't even presented any evidence that has any sort of private life at all, but who instead agitates all the more on the Internet against everything that is urban and doesn't care about humanity at all.

And that's the irony of IC_deLight, he talks about experience all the time, yet I am the only one of us two who actual presented evidence of my personal experiences.

And why are you even here on this forum if you don't want to discuss life's decision and if you don't want to discuss facts that are on the internet and if you do not even show us your personal experiences? It seems you are just here to provoke and spread hate against all things urban.

Old 09-15-2023, 06:35 AM

1,810 posts, read 899,421 times
Quote:
I don't really care whether you're talking about representation or overestimation.

Of course you can walk down the street in a safe neighborhood and have your mail delivered regularly and you don't have to worry about pickpockets or theft, but absolute security is very rare and besides, that doesn't just mean theft occasionally happens here and the area is automatically unsafe or is as unsafe as the areas that look much worse. So I still doubt that the areas that look worse are actually safer than the areas that look better. I didn't make any statements about the absolute security situation in this area and ruled out the possibility that there were minor crimes there, but I made a comparison and I think you would find this comparison not only in the statistics, but also if you lived there and would have a comprehensive overview of all crimes, which is very unlikely because no one can be everywhere and at all times. So the argument from experience is completely pointless.

Of course, a YouTube video gives a rough but very good impression of whether an area is crime-ridden or not. Of course I can't rule it out. That's a good looking one, there were no crimes at all but that wasn't my argument at all.

I guess from now on you will only make statements about things that you have actually personally experienced. If I catch you making statements about things you did not witness, I will immediately point it out to show you the absurdity of your argument.

And of course you also use straw man arguments again. No one has claimed that the area is completely safe, it's a question of whether the impression matches the safety. I don't need to live there to experience it, I just need to look at the signs of crime, of course I don't mean signs in the literal sense, but signs in the sense of what is typical of an area is criminal.

For example, what are signs of a dangerous area?

1. an unkempt appearance
2. People loitering in front of houses
3. Garbage on the streets and sidewalks
4. People telling the cameraman that he is not allowed to go through there or that he should go away
5. Damaged infrastructure, damaged cars and damaged houses
6. Gangster rap playing from loudspeakers
7. Etc

Of course, the whole thing must always be viewed in the overall context.

You don't need to experience a certain climate to know that people in other areas have the same temperatures and still do things differently.

And I don't need to know what it's like to have children myself. When I see people who have children and live in this environment and don't complain or stay in this area, what more evidence do you need? I also lived in a family like you might imagine and I have a very close relationship with my sister's family and actually know their problems and worries very well.

And I remind you never again to make any statements about what it's like to live as a single in a city, since you seem to be of the opinion that you shouldn't make any statements at all about things that you haven't personally experienced.

Don't worry for me. I only spend a small part of my life on City Data. Unlike you, who hasn't even presented any evidence that has any sort of private life at all, but who instead agitates all the more on the Internet against everything that is urban and doesn't care about humanity at all.

And that's the irony of IC_deLight, he talks about experience all the time, yet I am the only one of us two who actual presented evidence of my personal experiences.

And why are you even here on this forum if you don't want to discuss life's decision and if you don't want to discuss facts that are on the internet and if you do not even show us your personal experiences? It seems you are just here to provoke and spread hate against all things urban.
You’re still at it. How many different user names have you posted under on this forum? 20 or 30? You’re still pushing the German idea of containment to make it easier for the government to control the population. Take away the populations freedom by containing them and restricting their freedom to move about.

Old 09-15-2023, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketchikanite View Post
You’re still at it. How many different user names have you posted under on this forum? 20 or 30? You’re still pushing the German idea of containment to make it easier for the government to control the population. Take away the populations freedom by containing them and restricting their freedom to move about.
Sounds like one of the worst conspiracy theories out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning