Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2023, 12:33 PM

16,553 posts, read 10,611,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stadtmensch View Post
One way streets are better, but you can also make it narrower and still have a two way street. It forces drivers to slow down and make room for upcoming cars. Such wide streets aren't comfy and safe for pedestrians to cross.
I'm not going to fault you for not being familiar with the street on which I lived for six years, but will you at least acknowledge that maybe, just maybe, there are good sound reasons for things being done the way they are?

Pine Street (shown in my previous link) is a two-way street with on-street parking on both sides. It is not particularly wide; wide enough for two cars to pass, but that's about it. Traffic isn't at all heavy on it, as it mostly serves as a residential street; so crossing the street is never a problem. And the sidewalks are plenty wide enough to handle the pedestrian demand.

If it were to be narrowed, it would either have to be made one-way with parking on both sides, or two-way with parking only on one side. If you make it one-way, then how will traffic going the other way get where it needs to go? Make the parallel street one way the other way? And if you take away a parking lane, where will the people who have lost their parking lanes park their cars? Maybe your answer is to get rid of their cars, but that's not what people have chosen. And this despite that fact that there are two parallel transit routes (one to the north, one to the south) that operate every 10 minutes or better throughout the entire day and late into the night. The transit is there, and is heavily used (or at least it was when I lived there); but people still want to have cars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2023, 01:04 PM

537 posts, read 188,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I'm not going to fault you for not being familiar with the street on which I lived for six years, but will you at least acknowledge that maybe, just maybe, there are good sound reasons for things being done the way they are?

Pine Street (shown in my previous link) is a two-way street with on-street parking on both sides. It is not particularly wide; wide enough for two cars to pass, but that's about it. Traffic isn't at all heavy on it, as it mostly serves as a residential street; so crossing the street is never a problem. And the sidewalks are plenty wide enough to handle the pedestrian demand.

If it were to be narrowed, it would either have to be made one-way with parking on both sides, or two-way with parking only on one side. If you make it one-way, then how will traffic going the other way get where it needs to go? Make the parallel street one way the other way? And if you take away a parking lane, where will the people who have lost their parking lanes park their cars? Maybe your answer is to get rid of their cars, but that's not what people have chosen. And this despite that fact that there are two parallel transit routes (one to the north, one to the south) that operate every 10 minutes or better throughout the entire day and late into the night. The transit is there, and is heavily used (or at least it was when I lived there); but people still want to have cars.
I am not going to fight over two way vs one way street. In my experience one way streets are safer for children playing on the street, but on the other hand you can also use road barriers and other traffic calming measures to achieve the same goal. Here in Germany a residential street is usually a "Spielstraße" (play street), where you are not allowed to drive faster than walking speed.

It looks like this:

This is the national sign of a "Spielstraße".

PXL_20220910_165950199 by Stadtbewohner, auf Flickr

PXL_20220511_120428937 by Stadtbewohner, auf Flickr

PXL_20220416_095148413 by Stadtbewohner, auf Flickr

PXL_20220910_165928968 by Stadtbewohner, auf Flickr

Old 08-12-2023, 01:18 PM

9,115 posts, read 6,160,628 times
Quote:
I am not going to fight over two way vs one way street. In my experience one way streets are safer for children playing on the street, but on the other hand you can also use road barriers and other traffic calming measures to achieve the same goal. Here in Germany a residential street is usually a "Spielstraße" (play street), where you are not allowed to drive faster than walking speed.

It looks like this:

This is the national sign of a "Spielstraße".

PXL_20220910_165950199 by Stadtbewohner, auf Flickr

PXL_20220511_120428937 by Stadtbewohner, auf Flickr

PXL_20220416_095148413 by Stadtbewohner, auf Flickr

PXL_20220910_165928968 by Stadtbewohner, auf Flickr

Some of these look like boarded up Army barracks, particularly the first one. I don't find these two story buildings particularly attractive.

And population density is needed to support a robust commercial area.

I always thought that NYC, especially Manhattan, was perfect for living and "growing up". Lots of people; lots of cultural institutions; lots of shopping; lots of places to go and do. And Central Park is generally only a few blocks away from most apartment buildings.

Old 08-12-2023, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Some of these look like boarded up Army barracks, particularly the first one. I don't find these two story buildings particularly attractive.

And population density is needed to support a robust commercial area.

I always thought that NYC, especially Manhattan, was perfect for living and "growing up". Lots of people; lots of cultural institutions; lots of shopping; lots of places to go and do. And Central Park is generally only a few blocks away from most apartment buildings.
Many people, especially younger people prefer the clean and modern look of apartments like this.

You need to get over it, that architecture does no longer look like this here:

IMG_3108 by Stadtbewohner, auf Flickr

IMG_3107 by Stadtbewohner, auf Flickr

IMG_3148 by Stadtbewohner, auf Flickr

Time has moved on. Time to go with it!

Old 08-12-2023, 02:24 PM

16,553 posts, read 10,611,270 times
Quote:
Back to the topic. Human scale neighborhoods are still being produced. The area of Cologne that I previously showed in Google Streetview is called Clouth Quarter. The quarter is on the former factory site of the former Clouth Gummiwerke AG.

Today I was there making some photos to get some impressions you can not see from the streets.

Some of the apartment complexes have nice and large shared backyards.

It is also very family friendly. I have seen plenty of children there, which I didn't want to photograph of course.

There are playgrounds everywhere and there is a nice park within the quarter.

IMG_4226 by Stadtbewohner, auf Flickr

IMG_4242 by Stadtbewohner, auf Flickr

IMG_4231 by Stadtbewohner, auf Flickr

IMG_4240 by Stadtbewohner, auf Flickr

IMG_4234 by Stadtbewohner, auf Flickr

IMG_4238 by Stadtbewohner, auf Flickr

IMG_4216 by Stadtbewohner, auf Flickr

IMG_4211 by Stadtbewohner, auf Flickr

IMG_4250 by Stadtbewohner, auf Flickr
I'm not a fan of the boxy architecture, but otherwise, it looks like a pretty nice place.

I've never been to Cologne, or anywhere else in Germany. So any opinions I might hold about what it's like to live there are just that -- opinions. And your opinions about American suburban design are just that -- opinions. Some people agree with you, some don't. That's how it is.

Old 08-12-2023, 02:40 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,587,954 times
Thread reopened. Please stay clear of bashing each other, politics, and other conversations that are off topic. Reread the OP if you aren't sure.

Last edited by toosie; 08-12-2023 at 03:04 PM..

Old 08-12-2023, 03:42 PM

102,193 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Human scale neighborhoods are still being produced. The area of Cologne that I previously showed in Google Streetview is called Clouth Quarter. The quarter is on the former factory site of the former Clouth Gummiwerke AG.

Today I was there making some photos to get some impressions you can not see from the streets.

Some of the apartment complexes have nice and large shared backyards.

It is also very family friendly. I have seen plenty of children there, which I didn't want to photograph of course.

There are playgrounds everywhere and there is a nice park within the quarter.
What are the little white storage units facing the street in the first photo?

Old 08-12-2023, 03:45 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,789,173 times
Quote:
Children shouldn't be playing on the street. It's unsafe.

Streets are meant for various modes of transport to traverse, not for children to play on.

Old 08-12-2023, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
What are the little white storage units facing the street in the first photo?
These are the SILENT 243 boxes from Paul Wolff: https://www.paul-wolff-shop.de/silent-243.html

They are used for storing trash cans.

Here you can see how they work: https://www.paul-wolff-shop.de/pub/m...ENT120-240.pdf

Paul Wolff is one of many German medium sized world market leaders.

The company was founded in my city of birth, Mönchengladbach.

Old 08-12-2023, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
Children shouldn't be playing on the street. It's unsafe.

Streets are meant for various modes of transport to traverse, not for children to play on.
Apparently in Germany children have priority over cars. Good so!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning