Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2023, 01:39 PM

3,438 posts, read 4,451,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
That is one freaking ugly street. No wildlife and few plants/trees/bushes/flowers. Ugh! So depressing!

Nothing but hardscape and concrete. The housing looks like bunkers. No wonder Stadtmensch is always looking for "open space" somewhere else. This is a clear disincentive for "city living".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2023, 02:04 PM

537 posts, read 188,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
It's not modern architecture. The NYC Guggenheim Museum by Frank Lloyd Wright is gorgeous modern. His Frank Lloyd Wright Room at the Metropolitan Museum shows how his Prairie Style architecture is really livable and wonderful.

I. M Pei is great! I loved his design of Mastercard's Purchase office, Le Grand Louvre, National Gallery of Art East Building are some of my favorite buildings (I've seen myself).

I just don't like living in a monochromatic concrete apartment. It doesn't fill my senses with happiness.
Good design is functional. The Guggenheim Museum isn't functional design. This is functional design:
https://goo.gl/maps/roUgRU5Y5AC6em2C7
https://goo.gl/maps/4jFi1LZ9iUXyvvKn6
https://goo.gl/maps/aFGGjdRm8qfwiBS89
https://goo.gl/maps/sLzvx3Vm58jWcShf7

There is nothing depressing about it.

Last edited by Stadtmensch; 08-10-2023 at 02:12 PM..

Old 08-10-2023, 02:15 PM

537 posts, read 188,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IC_deLight View Post
Nothing but hardscape and concrete. The housing looks like bunkers. No wonder Stadtmensch is always looking for "open space" somewhere else. This is a clear disincentive for "city living".
Actually there is a lot of greenery in there. Open your eyes!

I am looking for open spaces to have a freedom of movement you don't have in your suburban prison.

Old 08-10-2023, 03:09 PM

9,080 posts, read 6,302,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stadtmensch View Post
I am looking for open spaces to have a freedom of movement you don't have in your suburban prison.
LOL! You clearly don't understand the concept of a prison.
  • Prisons have thousands of occupants in a small area. Seems more similar to urban areas than suburban areas. Prisons are perhaps the highest density social construct.
  • Prison occupants are assigned a small indoor living space typically called a "cell." Seems more similar to urban dwellers who have tiny apartments and even tinier balconies.
  • Prison occupants have absolutely no control over who they have to live with and share space. Seems more similar to urban environments.
  • Prison occupants have to share every bit of space outside their cell. Seems more similar to urban areas where all space outside the apartment is shared.
  • Prisons offer no personal privacy to their occupants. Seems more similar to urban environments where a person would have to stay indoors and away from windows to have physical privacy.

Prisons are the antithesis of suburban living which is why they are a heavily used form of punishment in the United States.

Old 08-10-2023, 03:53 PM

3,438 posts, read 4,451,198 times
Quote:
Actually there is a lot of greenery in there. Open your eyes!

You need "freedom of movement" because you are always trying to escape where you are.
You can only escape into "shared space" - and apparently you can do nothing more than travel through it on pre-determined paths.

That streetscape you showed looks like concrete/masonry bunker housing. There is very little green there at all. You might find it appealing because you aren't actually there. You are always leaving to go elsewhere. Possibly another major cultural difference.

I can walk out the front or back door and into exclusive, non-shared space filled with plants and trees.

I don't need to "escape" to some other location. I am not confined to simply being an observer of someone else's space as you are. I have the ability and right to alter it or improve it as I wish. I am free to go elsewhere but unlike you I can actually enjoy where I am. Calling a subdivision a "prison" is laughable when you prop this streetscape as something you would prefer.

Last edited by IC_deLight; 08-10-2023 at 04:32 PM..

Old 08-10-2023, 04:28 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,789,173 times
Quote:
You need "freedom of movement" because you are always trying to escape where you are.
You can only escape into "shared space" - and apparently you can do nothing more than travel through it on pre-determined paths.
What's ironic is that given that gasoline is about $12/gallon in Europe, and cars cost a lot more than here, he enjoys virtually no "freedom of movement". He's only "free" to move about in ways that are predetermined for him by some government bureaucrat.

As it turns out, even in my American suburban subdivision, I'm free to move about anytime I like, on my own schedule, and go anywhere I like, without being beholden to a government bureaucracy.

Quote:
That streetscape you showed looks like concrete/masonry bunker housing. There is very little green there at all. You might find it appealing because you aren't actually there. You are always leaving to go elsewhere. Possibly another major cultural difference.
Agreed. Also, maybe he's always leaving to go elsewhere because he's not happy where he is.

Quote:
I can walk out the front or back door and into exclusive, non-shared space filled with plants and trees.
Or go seek out a shared space when you want. As it turns out, people who have exclusive, non-shared spaces have the option of also enjoying shared spaces when they want.

Quote:
I don't need to "escape" to some other location. I am not confined to simply being an observer of someone else's space as you are. I can actually enjoy where I am. I have the ability and right to alter it or improve it as I wish. Calling a subdivision a "prison" is laughable when you prop this streetscape as something you would prefer.
Yep. Even more laughable when the airborne concrete boxes he wants to force everyone to live in much more closely resembles a prison than any suburban subdivision anywhere in the world.

Old 08-10-2023, 07:20 PM

16,553 posts, read 10,611,270 times
Quote:
Good design is functional. The Guggenheim Museum isn't functional design. This is functional design:
https://goo.gl/maps/roUgRU5Y5AC6em2C7
https://goo.gl/maps/4jFi1LZ9iUXyvvKn6
https://goo.gl/maps/aFGGjdRm8qfwiBS89
https://goo.gl/maps/sLzvx3Vm58jWcShf7

There is nothing depressing about it.
The problem with Cologne, and many other European cities, is that it was bombed into rubble during World War II. Which meant that it had to be rebuilt in the immediate postwar period, which is a period in which public architecture was just plain awful. American cities weren't bombed, but we did a lot of expansion in that period, and our postwar architecture was awful too. I don't know why, but it was just a bleak period, architecturally speaking.

Incidentally, I would never use most of the balconies that were shown in your images. Why? Because they are supported only on one side, not on three sides. When I was young, I witnessed the aftermath of a high rise building whose balconies were built like that. One near the top had collapsed due to lack of side support, and it pancaked down on the ones below it, causing them to collapse as well. Ever since then, I won't use balconies unless they are supported on three sides.

Old 08-10-2023, 07:22 PM

16,553 posts, read 10,611,270 times
Quote:
The streets and especially the junctions are slightly oversized I would say, but it is definitely okay.

It's definitely better than what is built these days in suburbs.
Curious, do you favor one-way or two-way streets? I ask because the image of Pine Street is a little deceptive. The street actually isn't all that wide. It's a two-way street, and it's wide enough for opposing cars to pass each other -- barely. If the street were any narrower, it would need to be made a one-lane, one-way street.

Old 08-10-2023, 08:52 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,789,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Curious, do you favor one-way or two-way streets? I ask because the image of Pine Street is a little deceptive. The street actually isn't all that wide. It's a two-way street, and it's wide enough for opposing cars to pass each other -- barely. If the street were any narrower, it would need to be made a one-lane, one-way street.
He favors banning cars to satisfy his density religion.

That two way street probably becomes a one way, barely, with all the cars parked on the street.

Old 08-10-2023, 09:47 PM

4,598 posts, read 2,990,451 times
"Shared space" -- oh, the horror of having to share something!

Maybe we should change the motto of the USA from "e pluribus unum" to "get off my lawn."

Last edited by NW4me; 08-10-2023 at 10:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning