Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 12:08 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,176,725 times

Advertisements

I'm in LA too. One of the better "he couldn't wait to get where he was going" accidents happened a few years ago and made the LA Times. (A lot of accidents don't make the papers out here -- we just have too many of them.)

Anyway, the guy must have been really moving on the freeway. He saw traffic starting to slow in front of him so he immediate swerved around a truck to the far right lane. Whoops! He didn't happen to see the truck stopped in the far right lane with metal pipes sticking out the back. He couldn't stop in time and got skewered. And that was the end of one guy who couldn't drive fast enough to get where he was going.

There's a lesson in this about driving too fast in slow traffic...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2007, 05:03 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,369,252 times
I live north of ATL and on the few occasions I have to go down to ATL I spend days and days DREADING it

So I'd have to say ATL traffic around I285, I85, 400, I75 is awful...now if you can get anywhere by staying off those and travel during non hi traffic times...LOL. It can be doable kinda.

I feel very fortunate that I no longer have to deal with it. I live outside Athens in a small town and only drive a whopin' 8 miles to work however, I did give up the bigger paychecks to do it...is it worth it..you bettcha. The plus side is I see lots of wildlife out my front and back door....Deer, fox, coyote, redtails ect.

Old 02-07-2007, 06:36 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,496,439 times
Post Omg

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
I'm in LA too. One of the better "he couldn't wait to get where he was going" accidents happened a few years ago and made the LA Times. (A lot of accidents don't make the papers out here -- we just have too many of them.)

Anyway, the guy must have been really moving on the freeway. He saw traffic starting to slow in front of him so he immediate swerved around a truck to the far right lane. Whoops! He didn't happen to see the truck stopped in the far right lane with metal pipes sticking out the back. He couldn't stop in time and got skewered. And that was the end of one guy who couldn't drive fast enough to get where he was going.

There's a lesson in this about driving too fast in slow traffic...
I just cringe as they fly around me. You just never know what is going on a few cars ahead--endless road construction---for miles and miles.

Trucks--lots of trucks --and all the landscaping vehicles-- signs of a booming economy.

Today's tragedy must have occurred around an area where people think they are just going to zip right through the city ---deceptive--sort of a tunnel.

I can drive the interstates --but it requires my ultimate patience and full attention. I've seen enough--starting to cry--sometimes a child's shoe is all that is left in the middle of the hard streets.
sorry---traffic is something that each and every person could do something about and 'We' just won't do what is right...

Old 02-07-2007, 01:57 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,594,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhs119 View Post
This has been 'Some' kind of a day in metro Atlanta for traffic.

What goes on in your area?

sls
In Mpls/St. Paul where I live, traffic congestion is a constant source of irritation to many. Not to me, though. I live 6 miles from work and ride the bus (stays off the freeway and takes 30 minutes!) Many of my co-workers insist on living in the exurbs or even rural areas and feel they must drag their "vehicles" with them to work every day. Takes them 45 minutes + on a good day. A day like yesterday (1" of snow during morning rush hour) really slowed them down. They HATE it when this happens! But really, I ask you, what else can they do??

My bus was right on time.

Old 02-07-2007, 01:59 PM

Default Hey, maybe she's on to something...

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
I've given up driving...and poof, no more traffic worries.

I think my BP went down by a few points as well....

(I now commute by bicycle )
plaidmom, you ROCK!!

Old 02-07-2007, 03:26 PM

Default I hear it is Great in Minneapolis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
In Mpls/St. Paul where I live, traffic congestion is a constant source of irritation to many. Not to me, though. I live 6 miles from work and ride the bus (stays off the freeway and takes 30 minutes!) Many of my co-workers insist on living in the exurbs or even rural areas and feel they must drag their "vehicles" with them to work every day. Takes them 45 minutes + on a good day. A day like yesterday (1" of snow during morning rush hour) really slowed them down. They HATE it when this happens! But really, I ask you, what else can they do??

My bus was right on time.
All over the www people say good thing about 'Twin Cities'...guess you have things figured out pretty well. Land of Mary Tyler Moore

I would like to visit and see for myself. After reports of below zero temperatures I know I will plan a visit in the summer. Could not/would not do well in the COLD.

Spoiled now--for whatever reasons we/Atlanta/SE have had pretty mild winters for at least 15/20 years. No need for heavy, bulky coats and boots, warm woolen mittens etc...

30 years ago I had to have several coats--some down filled. It was colder then and I don't believe it was as hot in the summers. cough

Many, many trees have been removed--plenty of shopping malls etc I don't wonder why it is hotter. Air quality is poor now--millions of cars driving back and forth and around and around --stressful and people must have the #@! cell phone. Who on earth needs to keep in such close communication with others? I don't --prefer to listen to music in my car or experience silence.
and try to make it home alive--
We now have 5,000,000--if they can't Shape Up --then 4,000,000 need to leave. I am the Queen and that is what I say.

Old 02-07-2007, 03:52 PM

413 posts, read 2,561,561 times
Default Chicago Area

Chicago area traffic is crazy.

The reverse commute to the burbs can take an hour and ten or so to get out of the city (about 15-18 miles out.) From there another twenty minutes to an hour. A lot of our burbs are really far out like 40 or 50 miles.

Its worse on 90 i think its sometimes 2.5 hours to get out to Woodfield Mall 30 miles from Chicago and the Schaumburg area.

I live in the north Shore and take 94. Into the city it often takes 2 hours during rush hour to go the 30 miles. You can def take the train which cuts down the time to 50 min to an hour. Still a long crowded commute and getting to the train takes like 20-25 minutes with the wait and finding a parking space etc. Extra when you heat up the car or on days with snow (3 hours not unheard of if driving in on heavy snow day.)

Random suburbs like Gurnee or Buffalo Grove, Vernon Hills etc all like 30-40 miles out or even downtown Barrington (40 miles out) have terrible rush hour traffic. VH Mall is 8 miles away and sometimes takes almost an hour to get to.

However, once rush hours are over and barring friday and saturday nights, traffic anywhere is not so bad and most of the roads have only moderate traffic.

Old 02-07-2007, 05:06 PM

Default an effort is being made

Always encouraging to learn that something is being done--
I get tired of the radio station that I usually listen to for news--don't really like to watch the News on TV--scan the paper online and I seem to miss an awful lot. Maybe more proactive steps are being taken and only a few citizens know?

The irony--media/communications--the heart's blood of this city--why should anyone in Atlanta, GA be uninformed?
~~~
[b]Steep speeding fines on tap

By JAMES SALZER
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 02/07/07

Drivers pulled over for going 75 mph or more on two-lane roads or over 85 mph on any road in the state would pay an extra $200 in fines under legislation being filed Thursday.

Gov. Sonny Perdue announced the filing of his "super speeder" legislation Tuesday before a crowd of about 2,000 bikers, state workers and legislators at an event promoting motorcycle safety and the upcoming movie "Wild Hogs."

Perdue appeared at the event on the steps of the Statehouse with the movie's stars, John Travolta, Martin Lawrence, William H. Macy and Tim Allen. The movie is a comedy about four middle-aged friends who take a road trip on Harley "hogs."

~~~

Old 02-07-2007, 05:17 PM

Default bhs119

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhs119 View Post
All over the www people say good thing about 'Twin Cities'...guess you have things figured out pretty well. Land of Mary Tyler Moore

I would like to visit and see for myself. After reports of below zero temperatures I know I will plan a visit in the summer. Could not/would not do well in the COLD.

Spoiled now--for whatever reasons we/Atlanta/SE have had pretty mild winters for at least 15/20 years. No need for heavy, bulky coats and boots, warm woolen mittens etc...

30 years ago I had to have several coats--some down filled. It was colder then and I don't believe it was as hot in the summers. cough

Many, many trees have been removed--plenty of shopping malls etc I don't wonder why it is hotter. Air quality is poor now--millions of cars driving back and forth and around and around --stressful and people must have the #@! cell phone. Who on earth needs to keep in such close communication with others? I don't --prefer to listen to music in my car or experience silence.
and try to make it home alive--
We now have 5,000,000--if they can't Shape Up --then 4,000,000 need to leave. I am the Queen and that is what I say.
Well, it's not perfect, but we like it here. Yes, the cold would take lots of getting used to. Yetserday morning it was 15 below when I left for work. Was up around 5 below this morning! But these frigid snaps don't come that often, and I can easily handle a few days of this a year compared to 9 months of unrelenting humidity in Miami, where I lived 6 years when growing up.

MSP is growing pretty fast, too. It's way different than when Mary lived here (and when we moved here 20 years ago.). Lake of the Isles, where she's shown walking with the ducks in the opening credits, still looks the same though.

Speaking of MTM, the house where she and Rhoda "lived" is up for sale! Asking price is $3,620,000, but they'd probably let it go for $3,619,999!

Old 02-07-2007, 05:58 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,077,816 times
Traffic? We don't have any. I've actually seen cars going the opposite direction and stop to talk for a minute. Maybe, 3 or 4 car's will get backed up. But I've never heard anybody blow their horn. They know those people are covering an important topic, like where to have coffee later, or something like that. They also know they respect the rest of traffic and will keep it to less then a minute.

Coffeen avenue is supposedly the bussiest street in the state. The other day, at 8 in the morning, I went to Wal-Mart. That's almost at one end of Coffeen. I looked down the street and could count all the cars I could see, on one hand.

Now, having said that, I have lived in Charleston, Norfolk, San Diego, Dallas/Ft Worth, Portland, Denver and found all of them completely nasty for traffic. But figure I'm used to this slow pace just about anyplace could be considered Nasty!. hahaha I got used to traffic having lived in San Diego for 18 years so I do know what traffic is. It's just not here.

Last edited by ElkHunter; 02-07-2007 at 06:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning