Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 06:12 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,492,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Speaking of MTM, the house where she and Rhoda "lived" is up for sale! Asking price is $3,620,000, but they'd probably let it go for $3,619,999!
Mary and Rhoda, Lou, Sue Ellen, Ted--good times.

$3,619... let me get my checkbook.

I just read today that Jane Fonda is living in Poncey Highlands. Now a Trendy Intown neighborhood--certain she paid at least 3 million...

Ironically--I believe 'Poncey Highlands' is very close to where my parents lived when they were first married. In that area.

A tiny one bedroom apt, just after WW2. I will have to find out how much that house is worth now--my Mother's friend owned a home in that area--sold it years ago--population shifted to the suburbs. 'Poncey Highlands' nearly went down the tubes--nobody wanted to live there--dangerous.

I'm grateful for the interest in restoring/preserving the old neighborhoods but when homes that probably cost less than $5,000 originally are priced in the millions it boggles the mind. Eh?

sls
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2007, 07:56 PM

355 posts, read 842,714 times
Traffic in the L.A. area is the worst and any resident can attest to how much life revolves around rush hour and traffic. We even relate 'distance' by how long it takes to get somewhere.

Friend 1: I want to drive from West LA to the beach in Orange County. How far is it?
Friend 2: Not during rush hour, maybe an hour. During rush hour, don't hold your breath.

Old 02-07-2007, 08:18 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,398,794 times
NYC and LA have horrible traffic. Chicago and Orlando/Miami arent far behind. Phoenix can get crappy, but thats only because of lack several highways.

Old 02-07-2007, 09:28 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,492,687 times
Default Montana or North Dakota

Seems to be plenty of room in those 2 states.

Just thinking. I have heard of long cold winters in both. Snow drifts measured in feet and it is hundreds of miles between small towns--outposts?

I say--let those that cannot drive properly be sent to remote parts of North Dakota or Montana or any other state that has an area where they can only harm themselves.

Old 02-07-2007, 09:31 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,069,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhs119 View Post
Seems to be plenty of room in those 2 states.

Just thinking. I have heard of long cold winters in both. Snow drifts measured in feet and it is hundreds of miles between small towns--outposts?

I say--let those that cannot drive properly be sent to remote parts of North Dakota or Montana or any other state that has an area where they can only harm themselves.
Now wait a minute. We have enough trouble driving on ice and snow. We already dodge, elk, deer, antelope, an occasion bear, bobcats, skunks and you want us to dodge bad drivers too? haha

Old 02-08-2007, 11:46 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,590,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhs119 View Post
I just read today that Jane Fonda is living in Poncey Highlands. Now a Trendy Intown neighborhood--certain she paid at least 3 million...

sls
So Jane's buying in Atlanta, hey? Just a coinicence or is it because her ex Ted lives there?

Old 02-08-2007, 01:18 PM

3,020 posts, read 25,736,130 times
Any larger metro area will the a problem. It just gets worse. One of my prime reasons for leaving Boston and all of New England. Just no fun any more.

Even some of the smaller towns can have traffic problems of a sort, especially if they have any type of choke points. Lil Lake Placid, FL, population 2000 goes to ~14000 during tourist season. You do not want to go out just as school is getting out.

For my money, SE Ohio region is the best traffic situation I've seen in a long time. Roads in fairly good repair, just not many people or cars, even during rush hour. Many small towns people go home for lunch. Three cars going the same way is considered a traffic jam. Some towns have zero traffic lights.

You can not believe what that is like after driving in Boston for years. Some benefits money cannot buy.

Old 02-08-2007, 05:04 PM

134 posts, read 438,810 times
Huntsville, AL...Not too bad on the interstate through town, but Hwy 72 (University Drive) can get congested at times. Hwy 431 can be irritating as someone always crowds the left lane, not allowing others to pass.

Last edited by markdalton; 02-08-2007 at 05:06 PM.. Reason: spelled "as" as "has" What was I thinking?

Old 02-22-2007, 11:12 AM

47 posts, read 296,102 times
The traffic in Indianapolis is pretty good I must say. There are a few areas where it gets a bit congested during certain parts of the day, especially on the Interstates but I guess that's to be expected. Rush hour seems to have the highest congestion on the interstates and a few of the main thoroughfares have a larger amount of traffic but it's nothing out of the ordinary. I believe that I read somewhere that Indy is one of the best when it comes to traffic congestion and I have to agree. I believe the longest that I have had to sit in traffic is maybe 10 minutes and that was only because there was a lane that was blocked.

Old 02-22-2007, 11:14 AM

47 posts, read 296,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iroquoispliskin View Post
I69 has the worlds smallest merge ramps, and it gets pretty bad there.
I agree iroquoispliskin...I-69 in Indianapolis can be a bit rough, especially in the Castleton/Fishers area and this is not just during rush hour either. I never use I-69 for any reason at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning