Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 04:18 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,483,637 times

Advertisements

This has been 'Some' kind of a day in metro Atlanta for traffic.

Started off this AM with advisories--'I85 S bound--yadayada--at Clairmont--expect delays'--

That is a street I need--always gets used as an alternate route when I85 has problems. And the drivers are ready to go fast when they come off the expressway--Clairmont has 4 lanes and 2 each way and you had better just 'Get Out of the Way'---

Then--they just announced a Red Traffic/Breaking Bulletin--at 4PM not far from downtown/Ga Tech area--a school bus and six cars--one fatality--complete gridlock.
And--
an apartment fire in Chamblee--NE--of the gridlock.

We have been having too many apartment fires lately. That scares me as much as anything--fire. Some apartments are older--maybe they burn faster?

And of course--with gridlock traffic even on surface streets--the fire department/paramedics/police can't respond as quickly as needed. That is the sort of stress we have here--the crime is under relative control, but the traffic is a serious issue--should you be considering relocation to metro Atlanta. FWIW.

What goes on in your area?

sls
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2007, 05:12 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,696,569 times
Our traffic is horrible. Tons of crazy drivers that really pay no attention to anyone else, they do what they please. Most are on cell phones or have something else in their hands (ok I'll admit I'm guilty of this). I've only seen a few other places that have worse traffic than Phoenix (i.e. L.A., Houston, Miami).

But I've lived here for long enough to get used to it. I drive it everyday and know what to expect.

Oh and if you drive less than 85 mph, you'll get creamed.

Old 02-06-2007, 05:33 PM

Exclamation u should all slow down--no cell phones!!!

This was a very bad accident even by Atlanta standards.

@#$@ the XXXX Down. I don't care if every single driver likes it or not. Drive Safely or Don't Drive. I would vote for anyone who proposed a Harsh crackdown on those who endanger the live of others---using their vehicles like weapons. I think the roads are the Most Dangerous place in my city...

Look---
Fatal accident jam Downtown Connector

By S.A. REID
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 02/06/07

A fatal accident has closed several northbound lanes of the Downtown Connector near 10th Street in Midtown.

A multi-car accident involving a Woodward Academy school bus and at least two cars is northbound on 75/85 between 10th and 14th streets on Tuesday, Feb. 6, 2007. The fatal accident happened shortly before 5 pm and caused major traffic delays.

Evening commuters are advised to avoid the area as northbound traffic is backed up all the way to Turner Field. Traffic will be disrupted until at least 6:30 p.m., police said.
At least four vehicles were involved in the accident.
The 44-year-old male driver of a blue Honda Accord was killed when his vehicle spun out of control after striking a white Chevrolet Cavalier, according to Atlanta police.
The driver of the Cavalier was taken to Grady Memorial Hospital in stable condition.
More information was not immediately available.
A Woodward Academy school bus (#30) carrying 16 students was struck by the blue Honda, but no children were injured, police said.

Old 02-06-2007, 06:29 PM

569 posts, read 1,229,100 times
Thumbs down Washington/Baltimore Metropolitan Area

I believe the DC metro is rated #2 behind L.A. as far as worst traffic in the nation.

Fortunately, I work 0530 to 1330 hrs and have no traffic to deal with.

Old 02-06-2007, 06:42 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,113,260 times
I've given up driving...and poof, no more traffic worries.

I think my BP went down by a few points as well....

(I now commute by bicycle )

Old 02-06-2007, 07:11 PM

Default planned communities

I think planned communities are being built in some areas.

In my life--I need a car --need to drive. I drive responsibly--at all times.

I think that should be mandatory.

I have correctly or not concluded that 'Some' who are most outspoken about 'Getting Tough on Crime' (and I certainly believe in enforcing laws)--these same people are not concerned about others when they are on the road.

ie--One Saturday morning--around 10 AM--I was waiting my turn to get on an interstate. There was a light and I started to make a left turn when the light changed--the car behind me --a large, shiny, black cadillac with a 'Support Our Troops' sticker--could not wait pulled out ahead of me and sped onto the interstate.

Then after I got on the interstate--drove several miles with cars that could really fly--and then we all had to slow down. A piece of metal was lying in the right lane. Cars kept going around--4 lane interstate--car after car went around.
I finally put on my hazard lights--got out and drug the piece of metal to the side. A car had broken down --and the owner seemed not to know what to do. I don't think he spoke English and that is really not a factor--important point in this story.

Those that had new fast cars and drove around the pipe in the road---what do you think of them?

We are told --Just drive on--mind your own business--keep the traffic moving. Then we are told that LE is understaffed --doing all that it can--that they need more officers, funding. And tax $$$ just aren't to be found.

One solution--Everyone must drive safely--and carefully. If it takes electronic surveillance--fine. Either hire more Law Enforcement officers or find some way to make the roads safer.

I had a car once--had a mechanical problem at 70 mph. Before seat belts--flipped over in seconds. Passengers sustained back injuries. Cars are not fun toys, jmo.

Old 02-06-2007, 09:07 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,392,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdbeard5 View Post
I believe the DC metro is rated #2 behind L.A. as far as worst traffic in the nation.

Fortunately, I work 0530 to 1330 hrs and have no traffic to deal with.
It takes me 30 minutes to drive seven miles every morning and the sad thing is, I don't even consider that to be THAT bad. Skewed perception as a result of growing up here. That doesn't mean I LIKE it though.

Old 02-06-2007, 09:19 PM

2,218 posts, read 5,394,639 times
I69 has the worlds smallest merge ramps, and it gets pretty bad there.

Old 02-06-2007, 09:22 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
Scranton's just about always smooth sailing! That might not last for long though if the NY/NJ crowd continues to pile in as they have been recently!

Old 02-06-2007, 10:29 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,548,321 times
I'm in L.A. and last Friday, right as rush hour was getting into full swing, a crane fell across the northbound 405 freeway right before the 101 split, blocking all lanes! Luckily, it didn't affect me directly, but I felt so sorry for everyone who was stuck! It must have taken hours for those motorists to get home. In fact, I'm sure there were many people who heard about that mEss and decided to stay in West L.A. or wherever to enjoy happy hour instead!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning