Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2016, 02:44 PM

379 posts, read 339,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
I'd direct you to: VanDweller Community Forums

Now, I currently reside in a 1998 Dodge B1500 which I dislike due to lack of space and a leak which it has (And I cannot find and fix, even having sealed the back doors....)

But here's the thing. I sleep at the 192nd Walmart. I then wake and drive to the Firstenburg Community Center. I get showers and free wifi $37 a month even!(I also get free wifi at Walmart) I will then drive to my job (On 164th ave) and work till 10 pm then back to Walmart.

Now I sleep IN MY WORK clothes. When I get up, first thing is coffee (Buy at 7-11 right now) then off to the community center...Nice hot shower, maybe a workout and then 1-3 hours of web surfing....Or do what you want...

Oh, regarding license. I have a mailbox out of Woodland, Auto is registered there. License? Here's the trick. Due to the "Real I.D. Act, you MUST have a "Residential Address" to get a license. So, head over to share house, ask if they'd submit a paper showing you "Get mail" there (You really don't, but so what?) shake their hand after they give you the paperwork, file it at the DMV and in 3 weeks, go back to Share House, ask if there's mail for you and off you go with your license!.

Total distance? 7.4 miles a day...Yep, not far.

Now, you have to look at it this way. Most any vehicle you buy will need repairs and unless you know what you're doing, it can get to be a problem. So, you may "Budget" $4K but the vehicle may cost $2K. thus you have $2K for repairs.

I know of a great shop (David's Auto Repair) $95 an hour shop rate, but dang good work and fair, plus he doesn't screw around with "Free inspection" since he admits he'd have to raise the labor rate as the clock ticks and doesn't give free time to him.

OK, so then what size? Depends on your desire. I'm actually going to be looking for either a shuttle bus or a Step Van. The step van can sit quite unnoticed in an industrial area. Not so much in a normal parking lot of cars. Same with shuttle, but then if you park far to one area, many people just look, shrug and go on.

Returning to cost...$5K for budget. That's just about 4 months rent. Then that $1,200 goes to your pocket NOT to an agent....That's YOUR MONEY you're saving. I can get by on about $500 a month and I get fresh veggies (I am sleeping at a super market know for LOW prices after all!) and other food. Have a stove, heater (It can get a tad cold here) it's what you're willing to put up with is the key.

Personally, I'd not have a pet unless I did have a Step Van and then it's a 16' one (After Cab space) so this allows a larger bed. (If a dog, it's 50 lbs min as I personally don't care for the ones I could toss into a toilet and flush)(Dark humor here, FYI)

Safety? No need for guns! Pepper spray is good and believe it or not, it is RARE to have people bother you at the place. Many keep to themselves, but gentle acknowledgement is common, after all, we're living out of vehicles and not beholding to "Herd mentality"

I personally have had only 2 people approach me. It was a warm night, had my side doors partially open for air to pass through and had a guy approach. Told him I was trying to sleep and he was bothering me. He did leave...That was 2 years ago, like I said, rare.

Again, hit the website, lots more info there. Don't be afraid, it's not hard to get used to not having a BIG living area, because you simply have to open a door and walk out....

Very interesting points- thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area