Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 01:06 AM

1,608 posts, read 1,490,894 times

Advertisements

This thread is ridiculous; it sounds like kindergarten talk.

Any city in the world is 'best' to/for you if you love it.

I tour in cities globally, and find them interesting in the short term, but I would never voluntarily choose to live in one. I like wilderness, peace, quiet, and wild creatures, and the simplicity and serenity of it all (expansive lakes, pristine forests, four seasons, and no sign of 'civilization'), but that's my bias. It doesn't mean that the wild, mountain wilderness is for everyone - it isn't.

If someone is hung up on Seattle then Seattle's the best place - for them. Same thing goes for Vancouver; Toronto; Montreal; New York City; London, England; Glasgow, Scotland; Tokyo; Sydney; etc. add infinitum.

It's like saying that red is better than blue or green; it's absurd!

Mahrie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2015, 03:15 AM

678 posts, read 877,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahrie View Post

I tour in cities globally, and find them interesting in the short term, but I would never voluntarily choose to live in one. I like wilderness, peace, quiet, and wild creatures, and the simplicity and serenity of it all (expansive lakes, pristine forests, four seasons, and no sign of 'civilization'), but that's my bias. It doesn't mean that the wild, mountain wilderness is for everyone - it isn't.

If someone is hung up on Seattle then Seattle's the best place - for them. Same thing goes for Vancouver; Toronto; Montreal; New York City; London, England; Glasgow, Scotland; Tokyo; Sydney; etc. add infinitum.

Mahrie.
Amen.

Old 03-12-2015, 12:14 PM

4,339 posts, read 6,313,668 times
As an outsider from California, I think both are nice cities, but here is how I'd differentiate them:

-Downtown - Vancouver by a mile. Seattle has a nice skyline, but Vancouver just has much more of a critical mass in terms of residents/amenities, etc. It is what all other cities on the west coast strive to turn their downtowns into.
-Scenery - Vancouver - I think both are very pretty, but I think having the backdrop of the snowcapped mountains at your doorstep is very unique. Seattle has pretty views of Mt. Rainier and the Olympics on a clear day, but its not as dramatic as Vancouver. Aside from that, both have very pretty water views.
-Public Transportation - Vancouver - Seattle has built a light rail system, but the skytrain is much better, having the grade separation everywhere and an easy connection between the airport and downtown
-Recreation - Vancouver by a slim margin - Both cities are great for outdoors activities, but I think again having the mountains at your doorstep, Stanley Park and a better waterfront tips the hand to Vancouver
-Freeway system - Seattle. Vancouver's isn't bad once you get outside of the city core, but they've purposely stopped freeways going through downtown. I actually think that adds to the charm of Vancouver.
-Airport - Tie. Seattle's is bigger/busier, but I think Vancouver's is a little nicer and has better connections to downtown.
-Sports - Seattle - I know Canadians will disagree, but having a NFL/MLB team tips the hat for an American (although I despise the Seahawks)
-Universities - Tie. Tough to choose between UBC and UW.
-Diversity - Seattle. While I don't think Seattle is the most diverse US city, Vancouver just seems to be white and Asian.
-Weather - Tie. I know Seattleites on here say that Seattle has better weather. But, to a Californian, the differences are non-material.
-Friendliness - Vancouver. I found people in Seattle to be a bit cold/reserved, similar to what we have here in SF. In Vancouver, I found people to be a little friendlier (part of the Canadian charm).
-Jobs - Seattle by a mile. This is the main drawback for Vancouver. The job market is very limited for a city/metro area of its size, whereas Seattle has a booming tech economy and some corporate HQ's for other industries as well.
-Cost - Seattle by a mile. Seattle is a lot cheaper than SF, with wages only slightly lower. Vancouver is as expensive as SF, but good luck trying to find a good job.

Personally, if money were not an issue, I'd choose Vancouver over Seattle. However, considering that I have a family and would need a steady paycheck for a couple more decades at least, I'd have to choose Seattle.

Old 03-12-2015, 12:19 PM

61 posts, read 68,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahrie View Post

Mahrie.
Red, Blue or green doesn't have any bad neighborhood.

Old 03-12-2015, 01:42 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,763,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
As an outsider from California, I think both are nice cities, but here is how I'd differentiate them:

-Downtown - Vancouver by a mile. Seattle has a nice skyline, but Vancouver just has much more of a critical mass in terms of residents/amenities, etc. It is what all other cities on the west coast strive to turn their downtowns into.
-Scenery - Vancouver - I think both are very pretty, but I think having the backdrop of the snowcapped mountains at your doorstep is very unique. Seattle has pretty views of Mt. Rainier and the Olympics on a clear day, but its not as dramatic as Vancouver. Aside from that, both have very pretty water views.
-Public Transportation - Vancouver - Seattle has built a light rail system, but the skytrain is much better, having the grade separation everywhere and an easy connection between the airport and downtown
-Recreation - Vancouver by a slim margin - Both cities are great for outdoors activities, but I think again having the mountains at your doorstep, Stanley Park and a better waterfront tips the hand to Vancouver
-Freeway system - Seattle. Vancouver's isn't bad once you get outside of the city core, but they've purposely stopped freeways going through downtown. I actually think that adds to the charm of Vancouver.
-Airport - Tie. Seattle's is bigger/busier, but I think Vancouver's is a little nicer and has better connections to downtown.
-Sports - Seattle - I know Canadians will disagree, but having a NFL/MLB team tips the hat for an American (although I despise the Seahawks)
-Universities - Tie. Tough to choose between UBC and UW.
-Diversity - Seattle. While I don't think Seattle is the most diverse US city, Vancouver just seems to be white and Asian.
-Weather - Tie. I know Seattleites on here say that Seattle has better weather. But, to a Californian, the differences are non-material.
-Friendliness - Vancouver. I found people in Seattle to be a bit cold/reserved, similar to what we have here in SF. In Vancouver, I found people to be a little friendlier (part of the Canadian charm).
-Jobs - Seattle by a mile. This is the main drawback for Vancouver. The job market is very limited for a city/metro area of its size, whereas Seattle has a booming tech economy and some corporate HQ's for other industries as well.
-Cost - Seattle by a mile. Seattle is a lot cheaper than SF, with wages only slightly lower. Vancouver is as expensive as SF, but good luck trying to find a good job.

Personally, if money were not an issue, I'd choose Vancouver over Seattle. However, considering that I have a family and would need a steady paycheck for a couple more decades at least, I'd have to choose Seattle.
fair comparison. And I would say not having a freeway to the core is one of the best decisions Vancouver makes.

Freeways in the city is so backward thinking. NYC had successful stopped two highways going through Manhattan as far as I know. Toronto right now is stuck with the Gardiner Expressway - and if the choice is to be made today, there is no way an ugly expressway will be allowed to be constructed cutting the waterfront from away from the city center.

All things said, Vancouver will be fantastic city to be IF (and that's a big if) it had Seattle's job market (even with its current housing price). But unfortunately jobs are the first thing people care about in deciding where to live, above weather, scenery, transport etc., for many, it trumps everything else.

I don't mind it being less diverse. Vancouver's demographic composition represents Canada's major cities - more Asian, fewer blacks and Hispanics. I don't consider that a down side. Judging by US cities with large black population, I wouldn't want that for Vancouver.

Old 03-12-2015, 01:49 PM

242 posts, read 243,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I don't mind it being less diverse. Vancouver's demographic composition represents Canada's major cities - more Asian, fewer blacks and Hispanics. I don't consider that a down side. Judging by US cities with large black population, I wouldn't want that for Vancouver.
Lol, and you called stray slacker racist. You say happily the same type of things as long as you are not the target.

Old 03-12-2015, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessplayer View Post
Red, Blue or green doesn't have any bad neighborhood.
I agree.
Better and worse cities to live is not a purely subjective thing, although some factors can be pretty subjective.

For example, I doubt anyone just loves cities with high crime rates, or bad schools, or crumbling infrastructure. They are always viewed negatively. And although people have different preference toward weather, I am sure 99% of human beings don't like extreme cold or extreme hot, because despite personal preferences, we are all humans and only suitable to live under certain thermal conditions.

Old 03-12-2015, 02:46 PM

30 posts, read 31,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonjour185 View Post
Lol, and you called stray slacker racist. You say happily the same type of things as long as you are not the target.
Botticelli has provided us a perfect example of why our immigration policy isn't working. We import immigrants who bring their own racist views that conflict with Canadian values of tolerance. E.g. Chinese hates blacks, blacks hate Muslims, Muslims hate whites, whites hate Filipinos, etc. Since Botticelli finds blacks inherently criminal, and therefore undesirable in large numbers in a city, perhaps he will be kind enough to share what the advantages of having Asian immigrants become the majority of a city?

Old 03-12-2015, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian veteran View Post
Botticelli has provided us a perfect example of why our immigration policy isn't working. We import immigrants who bring their own racist views that conflict with Canadian values of tolerance. E.g. Chinese hates blacks, blacks hate Muslims, Muslims hate whites, whites hate Filipinos, etc. Since Botticelli finds blacks inherently criminal, and therefore undesirable in large numbers in a city, perhaps he will be kind enough to share what the advantages of having Asian immigrants become the majority of a city?
cut the political correctness cr*p. Racism? Really? Fine, show me a large US city with high black population that doesn't have high violent crime? It is simply facts. I never said blacks are inherently criminal and most of them definitely not, so don't put words in my mouth, but city crime rates has a correlation with black population, and do you want to deny that and say something nice and sweet good enough for a speech for Miss Universe?

And why don't you ask the Vancouverites, do they want 30% black population in their city? or better, 50% like Chicago does. If not, are they all racists?

If you are so loving, then tell me whether you and your wife will be willing to live in a neighbourhood where 50% are blacks. Seriously, people vote with their feet, not mouth with beautiful words. If you have the money, I am sure you will buy a house somewhere in a traditional white dominated upscale neighbourhood with close to zero black people like Rosedale or Oakville. Why not tell me where you live?

Do I "hate" blacks? No, I never hate an entire ethnic group. I am raised better than that. Do I admit cities with large black population tend to (or almost always) have higher crime rates? Yes.

And you think immigration doesn't work? solution is easy, why don't you move out of Canada, to wherever your ancestors are from?

The advantage of having Asian immigrants? easy to answer: they are better educated, receive high scores in schools, earn higher income on average, do less drugs, are less promiscuous, they cause few violent crimes, are less likely to be homeless and dependent on welfare. They work hard and feel less entitled to this and that. They also talk less when they don't really know much about the subject. And last but not least, less smelly in the gym. Do you want me to find stats to back it up? I do have them all.

Old 03-12-2015, 03:12 PM

30 posts, read 31,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
cut the political correctness cr*p. Racism? Really? Fine, show me a large US city with high black population that doesn't have high violent crime? It is simply facts. I never said blacks are inherently criminal and most of them definitely not, so don't put words in my mouth, but city crime rates has a correlation with black population, and do you want to deny that and say something nice and sweet good enough for a speech for Miss Universe?

And why don't you ask the Vancouverites, do they want 30% black population in their city? or better, 50% like Chicago does. If not, are they all racists?

If you are so loving, then tell me whether you and your wife will be willing to live in a neighbourhood where 50% are blacks. Seriously, people vote with their feet, not mouth with beautiful words. If you have the money, I am sure you will buy a house somewhere in a traditional white dominated upscale neighbourhood with close to zero black people. Or why not tell me where you live?

Do I "hate" blacks? No, I never hate an entire ethnic group. I am raised better than that. Do I admit cities with large black population tend to (or almost always) have higher crime rates? Yes.

And you think immigration doesn't work? solution is easy, why don't you move out of Canada, to wherever your ancestors are from?

The advantage of having Asian immigrants? easy to answer: they are better educated, receive high scores in schools, earn higher income on average, do less drugs, are less promiscuous, they cause few violent crimes, are less likely to be homeless and dependent on welfare. They work hard and feel less entitled to this and that. They also talk less when they don't really know much about the subject. And last but not least, less smelly in the gym. Do you want me to find stats to back it up? I do have them all.
I don't want any Asian immigrants in Vancouver. That doesn't make me racist, right? I would prefer a large North American black population to a large population of oriental migrants, fresh off the boat from Guangzhou, who only care about what they can get from Canada.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver