Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 07:37 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,717,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
I do not agree....Vancouver has the mountains much closer but Seattle has more water features....I think, on balance, they are on the same level when it comes to natural landscape.
seattle's waterfront is as bad as Toronto's. Not enjoyable at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 08:27 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,121,823 times
I completely agree, but this is going to change soon.

Old 07-30-2014, 08:48 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,717,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Vancouver

With Stanley Park, English Bay, Grouse Mountain, it easily wins for me.
yeah, the only concern one should have when deciding where to live is how many parks, beaches and mountains that place has.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:30 AM

1,217 posts, read 2,598,469 times
I think Vancouver is prettier than Seattle, not that Seattle is not pretty but Vancouver just takes the cake for better setting and better designed city core. If I was wealthy and didn't have to work, I'd take Vancouver. The problem is careers and cost of living, where Seattle is way ahead of the game. Seattle is home to many of the worlds biggest & more innovative companies, it's quite an impressive collection. If Vancouver could build a solid corporate base, I believe many more people would flock there. It has potential in my mind in this regard, but it just has to make it happen to move this city up.

Last edited by johnathanc; 07-30-2014 at 11:08 AM..

Old 07-30-2014, 11:20 AM

7 posts, read 24,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathanc View Post
If Vancouver could build a solid corporate base, I believe many more people would flock there. It has potential in my mind in this regard, but it just has to make it happen to move this city up.
Many people do flock to Vancouver - that's why the property prices are so high and why our job market is over-saturated. But I believe the costs involved in starting a business are higher than Seattle (and Toronto). Perhaps the issue is more that Vancouver attracts people who want to live there, but not necessarily contribute as much to the economy as an entrepreneur or large business owner.

Old 07-30-2014, 11:29 AM

1,217 posts, read 2,598,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameshansenbc View Post
Many people do flock to Vancouver - that's why the property prices are so high and why our job market is over-saturated. But I believe the costs involved in starting a business are higher than Seattle (and Toronto). Perhaps the issue is more that Vancouver attracts people who want to live there, but not necessarily contribute as much to the economy as an entrepreneur or large business owner.
But if Vancouver had a strong corporate base, I believe many more people would flock there. It wouldn't be just a lifestyle-play city, it would a city where one could build a career and have amazing natural amenities - a great combination, just like the US West Coast. It would grow even more in population, stature and wealth than what we see today.

Old 07-30-2014, 11:41 AM

342 posts, read 510,893 times
Easily Seattle. Vancouver is a terrible unless you inherited money and property or unless you got really lucky and landed a dream job. Vancouver is a joke.

Old 07-30-2014, 11:49 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,297,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
seattle's waterfront is as bad as Toronto's. Not enjoyable at all.
I agree is not pretty but is finally changing, the viaduct will be knocked out (they are building a tunnel) and will be replaced by a surface park. Few nice condos have been built, the ferris wheel, piers have been renovated etc...

Fact is that one of the most attractive place of Vancouver is pretty much just downtown where in Seattle downtown is just office buildings, there is much more to Seattle and the Puget Sound metro area than downtown.

When I was mentioning water features, I did not mean the downtown waterfront.

Quote:
Many people do flock to Vancouver
Many people do flock to Vancouver because they have nowhere else to go, is either Van or shoveling snow in winter in the rest of Canada.

And actually in some segment of the "business immigration" there is no flocking at all given that a lot of properties sit empty

Last edited by saturno_v; 07-30-2014 at 12:50 PM..

Old 07-30-2014, 11:51 AM

7 posts, read 24,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathanc View Post
But if Vancouver had a strong corporate base, I believe many more people would flock there. It wouldn't be just a lifestyle-play city, it would a city where one could build a career and have amazing natural amenities - a great combination, just like the US West Coast. It would grow even more in population, stature and wealth than what we see today.
Interesting way of describing it - a "lifestyle-play city" - in some ways it really is just that. Many of the decisions made have put the people living in Vancouver first over economic growth. I don't really see that changing either since it's one of the main reasons people are proud of the city.

Old 07-30-2014, 12:01 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,297,745 times
Quote:
Before Bill Gates mom got a gleam in her eye we used to say Seattle was Vancouver.........with no class and no style.
How things have changed. HOWEVER, the violent crime factor would put me way off of Seattle.
Before Microsoft and the tech and pharma wave, Seattle was already a corporate powerhouse, Boeing, Alaska Airlines, Weyerhaeuser, etc..

Before 1986 Vancouver was pretty much a village (said by old native Vancouverites)

Class?? Not much class in Seattle, even less in Vancouver.

Violent crime in Seattle?? Where??

Quote:
The one thing that did catch me off guard in Downtown Seattle one time is how early things close, in Downtown Vancouver everything stays open quite late into the night - more of a european style. It seemed like in Seattle almost everything had shut down by 6pm.
Actually, according to my Vancouverite friends and my own eyes, is quite the opposite, try to go to Columbia City or Queen Anne past midnight midnight and you will find yourself literally in a traffic jam. Again downtown Seattle is not for Seattle what downtown Vancouver is for Vancouver.

Last edited by saturno_v; 07-30-2014 at 12:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver