Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 11:09 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,912,327 times

Advertisements

It's a bit of a joke if the claim is that
There are no homeless in Florida. South Florida
is known as a third world country. Plenty of
Homeless flock to key west. Plenty of drugs and gangs and crime
Run rampant up and down the Florida.
If you miss the slums, you probably live in some
Gated 55+ community. The west coast of Florida is populated
With mostly retired people. And retired as in 85 year old retirees.

San Diego has tons of homeless.
Atlantic City and Coney Island have homeless.
The only places without homeless might be north Dakota.
As somebody once told me who lived there, 'if you are homeless in
the winter, you're dead.'

Last edited by Pedro2000; 04-28-2011 at 11:11 PM.. Reason: Misspelled word.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2011, 08:52 AM

3,455 posts, read 8,341,308 times
I said Naples, FL. I didn't say the entire region of Southwest Florida, which, as a whole is pretty nice. But I certainly didn't include key west. I'm not sure why everyone is so defensive and saying 'its just as bad everywhere else'

I've lived in a lot of places in a short amount a time, I assure you it's not as bad everywhere else.

Old 04-29-2011, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenSky View Post
OK. I stand corrected. Homelessness is quite common at beach communities in California.

I suppose the difference is the temperate nature of our beaches vs. Florida beaches. One of the hottest days in memory was at Jax Beach in Florida, right on the water. Wowza - talk about humidity.

The California coast is one of the few spots in the world with a Mediterranean climate. It's the draw behind the "sunshine tax." ;-)
I think it has to do more with aggresive planning, residents, city council etc. The rich oldies in Florida will in no way put up with transients, drugs, gangs etc. I worked there as a planner and saw the city council in action. Naples is known for it's rich folks and they do what they can to keep the riff raff out.

The same can not really be said for Fort Myers, etc.

Old 04-29-2011, 09:37 AM

699 posts, read 1,344,269 times
Communities like Malibu and Newport Beach have extremely aggressive residents, city council and police. These are among the wealthiest zip codes in the country, far beyond Naples, Florida

Malibu and Newport Beach have homeless problems.

It's the climate + tourism that attracts homeless. I'm not sure why you keep using the word "thug". How do you know these folks are thugs?

Old 04-29-2011, 09:49 AM

I think if you left California for two weeks, then came back you would be suprised by how differently the eye might see. You get used to it.

When I first moved to Spokane I was shocked by the whiteness, the plainess (and yes some of the homeless/drug types I saw). But I had come from San Antonio, another culture all together.

You just get used to where you are.

By thugs I mean rude, loud, or just obviously looking to intimidate with their precense through their demeanor and style of dress.

And that is part of it. That might be the "style" there now. Being a thug is cool now I guess so even normal kids dress like a thug or take on that demeanor.

Old 04-29-2011, 10:14 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,335,318 times
Ventura unsafe? Compared to what? Even Oxnard is safe when you compare it to the majority of cities. It is in the top 10 for cities of its size. Not bad if you ask me. When it is compared to Thousand Oaks or Simi, two cities that are in the top 10 of all cities in being safe, it can look like a war zone. Well not really but that is how some feel. The truth is that the Oxnard and Ventura area are not too bad compared to most of the nation.

Old 04-29-2011, 12:50 PM

Both are safer than her reference city, Spokane.

Her point is Spokane is more spread out so she can "avoid it" I've lived in a lot of places including Irvine and other 'safer' cities (wife grew up in OC). We have two little ones and have spent lots of time in Oxnard and Ventura and have never once felt unsafe nor surrounded by 'thugs.'

The best part of all this is I received an email from another female poster interested in Ventura who was in Downtown on the exact same day and had a great experience.

Some folks form perceptions and won't be swayed. What can I say.

Old 04-29-2011, 12:53 PM

1,549 posts, read 4,256,348 times
Agreed OpenSky......it's all relative somehow!

Old 04-29-2011, 02:56 PM

Believe me I want to be swayed, but telling me "it's worse where you are" doesn't really help. I'm trying to understand, but yes it's a small area and it's hard to see where the line is really drawn, as Oxnard and Ventura are pretty much the same place, though the Ventura area seemed nicer in pockets.

It's just the nice pockets dont seem very protected. I lived in the Sacramento area, loved it.

Really it comes down to how much do you want to spend, that is my question, how much am I willing to spend to get the level of safety and happines I would expect. $2000 is a huge amount of money to me on a monthly basis compared to every other place I have ever lived, and I want to get something for it!

I'm very happy all of you are happy, please don't attack because you are emotionally invested in your town. I understand that, but you know, places become better when people admit there might be some issues to fix. It takes good people and good citizens to come together and not 'well it's worse elsewhere' or 'that happens everywhere' that is just not an acceptable answer or attitude to me.

Old 04-29-2011, 03:57 PM

You've drawn conclusions based on a short visit with nothing concrete other than you feeling unsafe. Move along now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County