Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 11:17 PM

699 posts, read 1,344,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
But...isn't that adjacent to the nice area?
The areas suggested thus far: midtown, the college area and east Ventura are all 3-4+ miles away. And there are transitional areas inbetween (primarily the Government Center).

If your work is in Port H and safety is your #1, why not look in Camarillo?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2011, 11:24 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,341,308 times
I'm getting around to Camarillo, but if I'm going to go that direction, Thousand Oaks seems nicer? Really I've only begun to look around. I had my interview at the airport and literally drove the streets from Port H, Oxnard, Ventura for about 4-5 hours. And I was exhausted considering I left Spokane at 4am. I had very little time and this all came up last minute so I've had little time to do research.

My prelimniary research told me Ventura would be the place for me....I just had a so/so impression of it compared to what I envisioned. At first I loved what I saw driving into it, but as the day went on I got more confused and less impressed, but I was also extremely tired and didn't have particular places to go see, I was just driving. I saw some nice parts of Ventura but was confused because I don't know it well enough to know the good parts. I was like "am I in midtown"? I don't really know...is midtown just sort of up the street from downtown? Its very hard to look at apartments online and get a sense of wether it's in a good part or not.

I have a better idea now that I've been there but it's still hard, and I'm now aware of the fact i'll need to be extra careful about just plunking down a security deposit from afar.

Old 04-30-2011, 06:01 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,048,932 times
rgb123, I sent you a DM.

Katie

Quote:
I'm getting around to Camarillo, but if I'm going to go that direction, Thousand Oaks seems nicer? Really I've only begun to look around. I had my interview at the airport and literally drove the streets from Port H, Oxnard, Ventura for about 4-5 hours. And I was exhausted considering I left Spokane at 4am. I had very little time and this all came up last minute so I've had little time to do research.

My prelimniary research told me Ventura would be the place for me....I just had a so/so impression of it compared to what I envisioned. At first I loved what I saw driving into it, but as the day went on I got more confused and less impressed, but I was also extremely tired and didn't have particular places to go see, I was just driving. I saw some nice parts of Ventura but was confused because I don't know it well enough to know the good parts. I was like "am I in midtown"? I don't really know...is midtown just sort of up the street from downtown? Its very hard to look at apartments online and get a sense of wether it's in a good part or not.

I have a better idea now that I've been there but it's still hard, and I'm now aware of the fact i'll need to be extra careful about just plunking down a security deposit from afar.

Old 04-30-2011, 07:44 AM

699 posts, read 1,344,269 times
Why don't you start a new thread and lay out your situation and preferences?

Old 04-30-2011, 10:04 AM

1,549 posts, read 4,256,348 times
Quote:
First I didn't start this thread to have an arguement. I did get some good advice (such as talking to a realtor)

Second, if you are going to argue get it right. Florida is not the shining example of anything, nor is Spokane. Specifically, Naples is a very nice beach town. Collier County is another story. However, I chose to live in Naples and not Collier County...

The question is, really, what makes Ventura worth the money to YOU? It IS more expensive than most of the US, there must be something of value in order for people to endure that hardship.

Also, I'm a renter. A home owner might have a different perspective.

I'm 34, I have little tolerance anymore for the aforementioned thugs, for ill behaved children, and for basically lower class living conditions. But that is exactly what I would get there for $750. I'm not at a point in my life to tolerate such things for a nice beach (though I may have at 19).

For me to have a similiar standard of living that I'm used to I'm lookin at closer to $2000 a month plus some added headaches ...and some things I dont have now like the ocean, better weather, larger cities close by, more culture generally speaking, etc.

The question is if it is worth it. It's going to be "worth it" for many different people based on their values. so it's a subjective question to start.

To me, Ventura was not as nice a some other places I've been in California though my pass through downtown a couple of times, I thought it looked nice (but especialy if you took out the bums and the bad parts surrounding the area). I'm not bothered by homeless that much though, however the town is too small really to overlook such problems.

Id normally like to live in a town that looks that way but the lack of nice looking people in the park, the reviews I read of breakins to cars in that area etc. are off putting. I also stopped at the Rite Aid just outside of downtown and was the only white person in the store. Not really a big deal but they were looking at ME like I should be somewhere else or something.

Some people like it a lot, of course that is a positive and helps me out. But to say I saw wrong with my own eyes? not likely.

There are problems/issues there and Ventura and Oxnard are not a world apart. It saddened me greatly as I drove from the highway from the north, into Ventura to see a beautiful beach stretching out, flanked by a large concrete slab with grafitti all over it.

I think most of you are probably just used to /immune to this stuff by now.

When I first moved to this area, I lived in Saint Louis, MO in a 2 bedroom apartment that was about $500 a month or so...it had a basement and lots of room...I moved here in 2001 and got a 2 bedroom apartment for $950 that was SMALLER than what I was used to....

For me, I stay here because my job is here and I've been at the same company for over 10 years now. I can't imagine working anywhere else at this point in my life. Part of us are probably used to paying more, used to graffiti (I wasn't used to it until I moved here!) and other things that might be nuisance to new folks moving here or even considering the area. My perception is probably different since I am a homeowner and take pride in my house and in my neighborhood.

Don't worry about being the only white person when you go places....I say this in jest because I'm black....how many black people do you see in this area...not many since the whole county is less than 2% black. You can't let little stuff like that deter you from an area. Personally, I've learned to face stuff head on....many places I go, I am the "only one" and I'm alright with it. If I look out of place, well...it's their issue....not mine..you have a right to be in Rite-Aid!

There will be other places in California that will be a lot nicer than this area but you will definitely pay for it. Like I stated earlier, I think many of us are just used to certain things.

Old 04-30-2011, 11:17 AM

2,852 posts, read 6,483,262 times
Quote:
Now that's really a seperate question and one I'm thinking about too...how far can I realistically live from the area and commute to Port H?
That all depends on you ideas of a decent commute. I prefer to stay within a 10 to 12 mile radius of my home. For me it just wouldn't work, for others the commute isn't that bad

Old 05-01-2011, 05:27 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,912,327 times
It's interesting you see a place for a moment
And make assumptions about what it is and isn't.
What was the point of the post if you already made up your mind?

I've been to Spokane. As I already stated many people Find it boring, lower class, red neckish,
And not exactly a place filled with good jobs.

If I went by my own assumptions after spending only a few days in Spokane, I'd say it
Was a craphole in the middle of nowhere with tons of
Lower class people. Comparing Ventura to Spokane at this point is kind of a joke.

Yeah you could find nicer places out in Malibu or
Santa Monica. You could find better areas up in Santa Barbara.
But if you thought Ventura was expensive, i wonder what
You'd think of other beach areas. And again, I've never heard of anybody
Really contemplate moving to Eastern Washington. Most people don't even
Know anything about it. And that's people who live in Seattle. They don't dare trek over the
Cascades. But hey, there is Gonzaga.

Old 05-01-2011, 05:30 PM

you have completley missed the point of this thread and your arguments have no bearing on the questions being asked.

In fact I didn't have my mind made up, which of course was why I posted.

Like many good Americans, I moved to Spokane for a job and factored in many things while making the move, I certainly don't regret it. I did the same when moving to Texas, Florida, MN, and previously, CA. It's research.

I work for the federal government. I don't choose where they put military installations. I do my best with the choices I have to make the most of my career as a consultant.

Old 05-01-2011, 05:32 PM

and ps. the rents in laguna beach, etc. are not much different. I trust I could find a pretty decent place for $1500/$2000 in most areas of California. It's very different for home buyers.

Old 05-01-2011, 05:57 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,912,327 times
The title of your thread kind of points out
What you thought. You already made up your mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County