Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2011, 09:10 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times

Advertisements

Just read one report..
"Overnight every single road in Vermont — except interstate highways Routes 89 and 91 — was closed at one point due to flooding, Robert Stirewalt, a spokesman for the Vermont Emergency Management Agency said on Monday"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2011, 09:26 AM

910 posts, read 1,675,971 times
I hope everything ends up ok! I have to be in Burlington next Tuesday to get a car, hopefully things will have cleared up by then.

Old 08-29-2011, 10:16 AM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Looking at the pics from the Free Press this morning of Waterbury. Seems like the flooding was within 10 feet of the floodcrest of 1927. I can only imagine the damage that would have occurred had there not been flood control dams built back then and the forest allowed to return in many areas. It would have easily been a repeat.

From the pics, the pinch point seems to be the Winooski River bridge that leads to Camels Hump, likely with Bolton Gorge being a second one. If the Waterbury dam had not been on the Little (Waterbury) River, there would have been thousands and thousands of gallons adding to the load above the gorge.

Thank you Civilian Conservation Corps.

Old 08-29-2011, 11:13 AM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times
I was out a little today seeing if I could get to the woods I always roam. Then it became a "see if there's a way out of town" adventure. Only way out I found was Cold River Rd. to East Clarendon Rd. (Cold River Rd. closed just past there), to 103.

Northam Village in Shrewsbury was hit hard. CCC Rd. (a handy shortcut to rt 100 in the summer) was blocked, couldn't see any further than where I stopped by the gaping hole that used to be Old Plymouth Rd.:

Lincoln Hill Rd. had a bad spot but was still open, sorta:

I thought maybe I'd check out the long trail off rt 103 (closed past Lincoln Hill Rd. when I was out). The river under the bridge was roaring, enormous, and really lashing at the bank so I turned around at the bridge.

Tried to go to Mt. Tabor. Rt. 7 before South Wallingford was closed. All the low lying fields along there outside of Wallingford were under water. I headed out to Tinmouth, rt. 140 was open (some branches here and there to dodge). This back road now features a tree held up only by a powerline:

The woods were completely impossible to explore, too many trees down, weird stuff scattered around that must have floated down the water when it was submerged, etc.

I wanted to check on the covered bridges on Upper Cold River Rd. and the Kingsley one, but I couldn't get to them. I also couldn't get to Chittenden or Pittsford. Mendon seems cut off too.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:07 AM

5 posts, read 21,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
I was out a little today seeing if I could get to the woods I always roam. Then it became a "see if there's a way out of town" adventure. Only way out I found was Cold River Rd. to East Clarendon Rd. (Cold River Rd. closed just past there), to 103.

Northam Village in Shrewsbury was hit hard. CCC Rd. (a handy shortcut to rt 100 in the summer) was blocked, couldn't see any further than where I stopped by the gaping hole that used to be Old Plymouth Rd.:

Lincoln Hill Rd. had a bad spot but was still open, sorta:

I thought maybe I'd check out the long trail off rt 103 (closed past Lincoln Hill Rd. when I was out). The river under the bridge was roaring, enormous, and really lashing at the bank so I turned around at the bridge.

Tried to go to Mt. Tabor. Rt. 7 before South Wallingford was closed. All the low lying fields along there outside of Wallingford were under water. I headed out to Tinmouth, rt. 140 was open (some branches here and there to dodge). This back road now features a tree held up only by a powerline:

The woods were completely impossible to explore, too many trees down, weird stuff scattered around that must have floated down the water when it was submerged, etc.

I wanted to check on the covered bridges on Upper Cold River Rd. and the Kingsley one, but I couldn't get to them. I also couldn't get to Chittenden or Pittsford. Mendon seems cut off too.
great and scary pictures ! Route 4 in mendon is more or less gone (at least one lane and the other is unsafe. the bridge into Chittenden by sugar and spice is gone and sadly two Rutland City water dept workers were washed downstream when a mudslide carried them away. A father and son which makes the tragedy even more difficult to imagine.

Old 09-01-2011, 05:12 AM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
Wow guys... I just got my power back yesterday. I was going to come in here and talk about the very cool air dropping down next week but maybe I'll just share some videos and photos of Irene in CT.

We all got hit hard and the sadest things is...It was only a Tropical Storm.

Here's a Time Lapse video I set up the day before Irene. The wind knocked it around a little. The camera sat 15 feet higher then the bottom of the pond;

Tropical Storm Irene Time Lapse at Dock - YouTube

Here's a quick video I made before the power went out..I'm going to make a longer verson since I have more crazy footage.

Tropical Storm Irene Results in CT 8-28-11 - YouTube

Old 09-01-2011, 04:33 PM

There's a flash flood warning in effect for some of the areas already hit hard, just a heads up...

Old 09-01-2011, 04:40 PM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
Last one... Full Video I made of TS Irene in CT. Hope you like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrwNK7I-Ldk

Old 09-01-2011, 04:57 PM

5,296 posts, read 7,233,802 times
Great videos Cambium, thanks and hope you are safe.

There is a water rescue going on in Colchester.
Middlebury fire/marine people are on the way up as well.

Old 09-01-2011, 05:28 PM

Workers repairing route 7 bridge that collapsed rescued during flash flood in Clarendon: Police rescue workers trapped in flash flood: Rutland Herald Online
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont