Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2023, 09:57 AM

23,588 posts, read 70,358,767 times

Advertisements

I have followed the ups and downs of the old St Johnsbury and Lamoille County Railroad since I was a young child. There was little question from early on that it was a doomed railroad, but it was still fascinating.

The state has now turned it completely into a rails to trail project that will be the longest in New England. There is a Facebook group on it, but whenever anything the slightest bit negative comes up, the post and threads get deleted or blocked. That is unfortunate, both because people in the area are being impacted, and it is a teaching experience for communities interested in such recreational opportunities.

Other than the rare instances of a four-wheeler or motorcycle or car on the trail, the largest issue by far is a part of the cycling community. There are some who come across as incredibly entitled. One deleted post demanded that equestrians using the multi-purpose trail stop immediately and remove the horse manure when their horse relieved itself. That person has either never been around horses or has a sense of entitlement that knows no bounds.

More troubling, one local resident who made accommodations to the trail and set up a little part-time sandwich shop has had people misusing her benches and tables, demanding service when signage clearly indicated she was closed, and has been sworn at. She was seeking advice on what to do, but her post was completely blocked.

The trail itself looks beautiful, but some of those using it are pretty ugly. If not nipped in the bud, it won't be long before there are confrontations and injuries. Roadways are patrolled by police and troopers to make them safe for drivers, it looks like something similar is needed here. People. These creatures are why we can't have anything nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2023, 01:45 PM

5,759 posts, read 11,358,171 times
^^^^I'm a life-long cyclist who rides about 5,000 to 6,000 miles per year, still at it at age 68. I went for a 38 mile ride today. I've ridden countless rail trails, and many are excellent places to enjoy a ride in the countryside. Some rail trails are better than others, just like some trail users are better than others. 99 percent of the people I encounter bike riding along the trails and elsewhere are just fine, normal people. Sure, there are a few jerks out there, but you will find them no matter where you are or where you go.

I am willing to bet that if I go to Vermont and cycle the trail end to end, I would enjoy the experience and have nothing to complain about. I don't use Facebook, and whatever people complain about there would not impact me one bit. Some people just like to complain a lot. Just get out there and go for a walk, bike ride, horse back ride or whatever else that does not involve a motor vehicle on that beautiful trail.

There are rail trails all over the USA and in many other countries. That one rail trail in Vermont is no different than all the thousands of others, there is nothing I see that is particularly special in causing a conflict among users. A couple of complaints on Facebook doesn't mean the situation is really a big bad deal.

Old 06-21-2023, 02:21 PM

23,588 posts, read 70,358,767 times
I agree that the majority of bike riders are fine, and that it is always only the few that spoil it for everyone. I rode my bike in my youth to the point that around the time I was out of high school my knees said "no more." A ride up into Smuggler's Notch or down to Waitsfield or just about anywhere was an easy ride prior to that, as my paper route earlier on had a couple steep hills, my legs were developed, and the notch had not been "discovered. I wish I could ride like I used to.

As for all rail trails across the country being the same, I have to disagree. I managed movie theatres for years in various areas, and the customers varied wildly in manners and attitude. Specifically, some of the most obnoxious customers were from areas such as NYC and the high-end areas like Palm Beach, and the rare Vermonter born with a silver spoon up their ... mouth.

Just like certain theatres will attract a certain crowd, any recreational facility will do the same when allowed no supervision and enforcement. Homeless encampments in Battery Park and City Hall Park? Those didn't happen during strict enforcement of the rules that were in place when I lived in Burlington.

In no way am I saying the rail trail isn't beautiful or the majority of the users fine. What I am saying is that it will need enforcement that has some teeth to keep it that way, and that is best started immediately, rather than playing the ugly game of catch-up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont