Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 07:06 PM

8 posts, read 22,499 times

Advertisements

I am really torn here...I can't take LI anymore....the density of the population and the expense are so high. I currently make 100K (not teaching - software developer) a year and I still cannot buy a house down here, unless of course I buy in a not so great neighborhood. And as a bonus for buying in that type of neighborhood you get crime and drugs.

Some of you complain that taxes are high in Vermont; come down here and you will think Vermont is a bargain. Average tax down here is $9,000-$12,000 for a regular cape or colonial on a 1/3 of an acre. A house on an acre and now your up to 15k. I personally know someone who pays $30k a year in property tax. He has a 4000 sq ft colonial on 2.5 acres.

Gas averages about .25 cents higher per gallon than Vermont. Food is expensive. Nothing is inexpensive down here. Plus you get ozone alert days just about every humid day in the summer.

You have to plan your life around traffic. Don't attempt to take a major road after 3PM or between 8-10AM.

My fear is moving to Vermont and being in the same financial situation minus the traffic, pollution, and crowds.

I used to teach high school math but I couldn't afford to make it on the salary being a single Dad. I would like to return to teaching but not here on LI.

Oh yea...don't forget about car insurance....one of the highest rates in the country.

What to do....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 07:22 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,270,631 times
Sure, VT may seem like a bargain, but when you actually come here and see that salaries are a lot lower, that makes housing high for LOTS of folks here.
I doubt you are going to find a software developer job up here with a salary of 100K.

Old 08-06-2008, 05:23 AM

1,341 posts, read 6,190,898 times
A $100K software development base salary in VT is essentially the top 1% of the top tier of senior software development positions.

Property tax burdens for higher income folks in Vermont are comparable with New Jersey burdens presuming you live in those areas where folks with higher incomes tend to gravitate toward (Burlington, Middlebury, Warren, Stowe, etc). And if NJ property tax burdens are indeed higher, any advantage enjoyed by VT in that respect is likely eaten up by the extra cost in VT for heating and other living expenses.

There are other tax related factors also. Vermonters making $75K or more in gross taxable income are in a 2% higher state tax bracket than in New Jersey.

Ultimately I think NJ and VT have similar costs of living when all expenses are considered. At that point which state to live in becomes a subjective decision based on one's particular ideals.

Sean

Old 08-06-2008, 06:21 AM

894 posts, read 1,559,045 times
LI is in Jersey now? OK by me.

Old 08-06-2008, 06:22 AM

894 posts, read 1,559,045 times
The point is valid- metro NY and VT have a similar cost of living.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:53 AM

1,341 posts, read 6,190,898 times
Sorry about that! I'll wait until my coffee and ritalin kick in next time

Sean

Old 08-06-2008, 01:27 PM

17 posts, read 93,876 times
As a tranplant from New Jersey (we have been here 9 months) and making the same salary, we have felt no difference in our economic situation (col). It may be to early to tell but I would say the col between NJ and VT is very similar.

Old 08-06-2008, 05:19 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,663,056 times
I came from the NY metro area and I would say that the COL is about the same and possibly a little more expensive this year. The reason for the possible higher expense this year is due to the longer heating season we have in Vermont.

Old 08-08-2008, 09:04 AM

30 posts, read 106,102 times
I lived in Northern VT several years ago, and I agree with most posters on this thread. It has typical high Northeast COL expenses, winters are long and cold. But with your skill set/salary, you would do well in the greater Burlington area. Everything you need is right there, and 20-30 minutes away is the rural life that everyone dreams about. And you can get your city fix by driving to Montreal, an hour-and-a-half away.

Old 08-08-2008, 12:48 PM

1,475 posts, read 4,143,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobjsim View Post
And you can get your city fix by driving to Montreal, an hour-and-a-half away.
To me, this is absolutely huge. I've been travelling less, but I have to get back to my favorite Portugese ristos fast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont