Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 05:29 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,873,444 times

Advertisements

mustmove: Is VT + metro NYC really the same? Are you considering salary in that?

To the OP: How much is a house going to run you in VT? Do you have savings? At 100k it sounds like you should be banking as much money as you can and try to buy a house outright.

VT Newbie: so are you making 100k in VT ? Or are you saying your new job in VT with the lower COL is equivalent?

Sorry to be all over the place, but we are coming from the same place, lower salary but I will be bringing my salary with me to VT. With my wife working, over $100,000...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2008, 05:35 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,277,059 times
A combined salary of over 100K is considered very, very good here.

Old 09-02-2008, 05:36 PM

894 posts, read 1,560,746 times
Not adjusting for salary. We lived in Boston and it was probably cheaper but that was apartment to a house here. Many have reported equivalent COLs between NY metro area and VT not correcting for salary. Before you assume you have X dollars coming in you should have both jobs lined up. Lots of places an educated couple could move for one's job assuming the spouse will find relevant professional work VT isn't one of them. Sure a couple might find one good professional job but the odds are against both of you finding decent work. Come on up and try, it's been beautiful last couple of weeks.

Old 09-02-2008, 05:38 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,277,059 times
Here is an interesing article that was in Monday's Free Press, regarding Vermonter's perception as to "rich". Some interseting stats in the article.Vermonters define 'rich,' relatively | burlingtonfreepress.com | The Burlington Free Press

Old 09-02-2008, 06:00 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,873,444 times
we were thinking about renting for the winter, leave our house here vacant (probably too short to rent it out). this way we can experience the times of short daylight and cold weather and see if we survive.

Old 09-02-2008, 10:09 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,665,737 times
A major thing to consider is that if you move from NY to Vt and bring your salary with you, If the state of NY taxes you on your income the state of Vt will do the same. My wife had a similar work experience where she was paying two state income taxes. She ended up working in NH(no state income tax) while living in Vt and only had to pay Vt income tax.

Old 09-03-2008, 04:02 AM

159 posts, read 405,538 times
Default it's not for everyone

As we've seen in the other post here living in Vermont has it's pro's and con's, but what's a pro for one is not necessarily for another. I lived in Vermont over 50 years, born and raised there, but recently moved to Maine. I now have a house in the country but within 20 miles of Portland, the coast and the amenities of a small urban area yet at night all I hear are crickets and toads, at least until frost. As companies closed in Vermont over the years I found it necessary to drive longer and longer distances to find employment and with the cost of gas what it is now the cost to travel the distances you need to drive in Vermont for work or shopping or social activities are significant. If you enjoy walks in the woods and long dark winters don't bother you then Vermont might be for you. The taxes are high, opportunities scarce but Vermont is clean and has a low crime rate compared to metropolitan areas, and oh...there's very little traffic problems in Vermont although I didn't live or work in the Burlington area. It's all a matter of personal preferences, what works for one doesn't mean it'll work for you, only time and experience will tell. One thing to remember when moving to a new location and one as rural as Vermont, most likely you'll be the least senior person at your new place of employment and if you lose your job finding another nearby is not easy and in some cases impossible to do, that's part of rural life anywhere. Vermont also has high taxes and lower income levels and discourages growth. Vermont might be exactly what you're dreaming of or could turn into a nightmare just as any other move might, there's a lot of truth in the old saw "the grass isn't always greener on the other side of the fence", the experiences you enjoyed while vacationing in Vermont may be different then those you'll experience living there...but you'll never know unless you try and if you plan well and have the finacial ability Vermont might be your dream come true.

Old 09-04-2008, 04:21 PM

8 posts, read 22,509 times
Default One thing though.....

I would be giving up the 100K salary to go back to teaching for a mid 40's salary....I know, I must be crazy, right? Corporate America is not for me. So can I make it up there on a teacher's salary?

Old 09-04-2008, 05:47 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,665,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brrrmont View Post
I would be giving up the 100K salary to go back to teaching for a mid 40's salary....I know, I must be crazy, right? Corporate America is not for me. So can I make it up there on a teacher's salary?
It depends on where you live and if you have someone to bring in an income as well. If you are talking about in the Burlington area It will be very, very hard. On avg. you will pay at least 12,000 a year just on rent and then you can throw in all the other expenses of life on top of that.

Old 09-04-2008, 07:29 PM

894 posts, read 1,560,746 times
Can you make it where you live now on 40K? VT won't be cheaper than anyplace else in the northeast or suburbs near any sort of functioning economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont