Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 11:31 PM

9,412 posts, read 11,159,448 times

Advertisements

These are all great posts.

It was a huge step to remove from all that was familiar your entire life. Courageous, challenging, and, I think, smart.

Poor kitties! One of our cats needs a litter box for a mile trip to the vet. She gets very excited and HAS to go!
So we let her out of her little traveler and right in back is a small litter box. Which she uses, always. Fortunately we don't go to the vet much.

Modern snow tires are amazing. I mentioned all season tires I replaced our snows with last winter, and I still recommend them. They were amazing. But there are lots of good tires out there.

Good luck on the job. And the private practice.
From time to time I consider going through the process of getting my license back. I let it expire after we moved out here. When I think of the multiple loonies and serious pathologies I had to work with--this is staff, of course, I'll take 10 schizophrenic patients over two sociopathic/ borderline
"supervisors" and others in mismanagement.

It makes for good war stories, though.

Thanks for the update. The adventure continues!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2008, 06:38 PM

1,442 posts, read 6,499,437 times
I took Sammy to a local vet today. I believe I chose the right one, even though there is another vet clinic closer to my house.

The vet who examined Sammy said hyperthyroidism cannot be ruled out because of a negative T4 test, which was done in Brooklyn. He ordered an entire thyroid panel and is sending it to Cornell. He really seemed to know what he was doing.

He told me he didn't think Sammy had lymphoma, but he did suspect hyperthyroidism. He took abdominal-rays and expressed concern about the look of Sammy's abdomen. He is even considering the possibility of FIP (feline infectious peritonitis), which is itself fatal. If that is the case, then I am also worried about my other cats. None of them are immunized against it. But there are other things that would account for the inflammation and the "ground glass" appearance in Sammy's abdominal X-rays. The vet will get back to me with the bloodwork results.

I feel so much better knowing that Sammy is in highly qualified professional hands from the beginning. I wanted him under professional care ASAP. I still have the appointment for the internist in 2 weeks, but I didn't want to wait. And some of the diagnostic work he may need can be done at this clinic.

Who knew? Here in semi-rural Vermont I appear to be getting top-notch veterinary care.

This practice has been widely recommended and I was not disappointed. But the bill was very high. And they give no multi-pet or chronic disease discounts. So I guess that what I wil save in car insurance premiums I will lose to vet bills.

Last night I joined the Brattleboro Food Co-op. Tomorrow I am scheduled to have orientation, so I can be a working member. I'll get 10% off my bills, and I'll get to meet new people. The costs there are very high, too, but there are sales.

Now I have to choose a chiropractor, a doctor and a dentist. Choosing a chiropractor is hard, because of different methods of practice. I have always used one who practiced applied kinesiology. There are such chiropractors isn the area. But the one most highly recommended, who happens to be within walking distance from my house, does chiropractic orthopedics and does not do applied kinesiology at all. I'm wondering, should I stick with what I know or try something new? I guess it's moot for now. I still have to get my Vermont health insurance. My New York insurance, I think, will only pay for emergencies.

I find the transitioning from New Yorker to Vermonter stressful, but also interesting, rewarding and even fun. The culture shock is not the same as it would be if I were in some rural town in the Northeast Kingdom. Lots of people here in Brattleboro seem to have a lot of interests, values and tastes that I share. Brattleboro is like Greenwich Village and/or the Upper West Side in a calmer, more rural setting. The town seems cosmopolitan and sophisticated, but without any of those negative qualities one - or at least I - can associate with those words. Qualities such as smugness, narcissism, materialism, or obsession with style or status. I feel I chose a place that is a good fit for me.

So slowly, things are falling into place.

I feel no need to visit New York. I'll only go if there is something special I want to do, such as attend a special event or see a special exhibit. I'm having fun learning about my new area, spending time with new friends, talking on the phone to old friends, reading and going online. Unpacking stuff is a chore, but it is fun, or, at least, absorbing, to set up and organize a new house.

Soon it will be time to look for work.

Dwatted Rabbit, I know so well what you are talking about. I have been in some very toxic workplaces. And, in at least one case, these co-workers were therapists! It is important to me to avoid such workplaces.

Last edited by arel; 10-20-2008 at 06:49 PM..

Old 10-21-2008, 09:13 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,276,320 times
Quote:
This practice has been widely recommended and I was not disappointed. But the bill was very high. And they give no multi-pet or chronic disease discounts. So I guess that what I wil save in car insurance premiums I will lose to vet bills.
I noticed that the vet bills are about the same as downstate. I have over 10 cats and two dogs. The closest vet to my home wanted to charge me $50.00 just for the visit, before the animal was even looked at. He said I was getting quality, but I begged to differ. The place left a lot to be desired. So now I have a vet for their yearly shots because he is very inexpensive. I have another vet closer to home that I go to if they are sick and still another if they need the best care, say for a major operation. I also have another for my large animals, horses, mini donkeys, sheep and steer. The farm animal vet is the least expensive and he comes to my house. I think the small animal vets have gone up a lot in the past 4 years. When one of my cats was attacked by a bobcat he was in the hospital for about 5 days and the bill was only $350.00. I expected at least double that. Veterinary care that once cost me $40.00 has doubled. Unfortunately, it has become impossible for me to rescue any more animals. One change I have noticed in my cats is that many of them have gotten urinary tract infections which have taken a long time to get over. It is a problem I never had with them before I moved here. I think it might be something in the water so I only give them filtered water. I am saying this because when the waterpot on my woodstove disintegrates it leaves what looks like a thick lard on the bottom of the pot.
I looked up FIP in one of my health books and it stated that a cat will lose its appetite...didn't you say that Sammy was eating well? Have you gone on the internet and checked it out? I'm sure the blood test is going to tell what is going on.
I think you will see that your car registration is going to be higher also. It might not make a difference if you only have one car. We have quite a few vehicles to get registered (trailers, snowmobile, truck, car) so it adds up.
I did notice that the people seemed a bit more cosmopolitan on the eastern part of VT. Very different then the part of VT where I live. Both areas nice in their own way.

Old 10-21-2008, 10:55 AM

1,405 posts, read 4,787,006 times
Welcome to VT Arel!

...and speaking of snow tires, I agree with Dwatted, above: some of us can do without a second set of tires, and simply use high quality all-season tires. I've had nothing but good luck without snows for many years, including the 17 years I spent as a part time ski instructor. It just depends on where you live, what roads you travel, what the closest quarter mile of road to your front door (very much including your own driveway) looks like, and how careful a driver you are.

Here's a news flash, (straight from my friendly local tire dealer/auto repair guy, who walks on water) though: Not long ago, the province of Quebec passed legislation requiring snow tires. This will create a shortage this Winter, simply because some manufacturers are simply reallocating tires to Quebec, (from the Northeast United States) rather than increasing production.

Those of you who will be buying snow tires in the Northeast US would be very well advised to buy them ...yesterday.

Warmly,
David Beckett

Old 10-21-2008, 12:37 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,517,775 times
this story is so interesting and fantastic. Im telling you she should get the old typewriter out and write a memoir!!

Old 10-21-2008, 04:35 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,824,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arel View Post

Who knew? Here in semi-rural Vermont I appear to be getting top-notch veterinary care.

lots of farms = lots of animals=need for vets Farmers do not take kindly to bad vets as it involves their livelyhood.
some do just small animals(thats where the money is), some do both but the large animal part is a tough road to go, driving to farms at all hours, on call 24/7, there is a shortage in Vermont.
hope your kitty gets well!

Last edited by MRVphotog; 10-21-2008 at 04:48 PM..

Old 10-21-2008, 09:12 PM

1,442 posts, read 6,499,437 times
I've been doing research on the web about hyperthyroidism and FIP. Yes, Sammy is eating like a pig, and he does not show the symptoms of FIP.

One thing I read is that some hyperthyroid cats do not have an elevated T4 test. So it is entirely possible that Sammy is hyperthyroid and the T4 missed it. If that is the case, and this is the only thing wrong with him, he'll be fine.

If. If.

As they say, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

I'm going to let Sammy's new vets do their jobs. They are the trained professionals. I should hear from the local vet soon, and Sammy will see the internist on November 3.

On November 4, I am going to vote in Vermont. I am already registered.

I have gotten my library card. I'm going to need it. Almost all of my books are still in storage.

I moved my stuff into a new storage unit. I had stuff in two 10 X 10 units. I moved everything into one 10 X 15 unit. Well, almost everything. I have a few things I'm getting rid of and I kept them in their own unit, which I have rented until the end of the month. If they're not gone by then, I'll have to put them in a small unit. If they are, then, starting next month, I'll be paying $100 less per month in storage costs.

I can't believe the damage the movers did. I really tried hard to get good movers. I used the membership roster from the Better Business Bureau. I did not want to pay the huge prices of the New York company my lawyer recommended. So I got a lot of sloppy packing, damaged furniture, and stuff that was only left intact by the grace of God. The company says they want to make good. They seem like nice people, but when they offered to move the stuff from storage to my house, I said no. I do not plan to use this company again. I'm now using a good local mover. I should have used this mover for the interstate move, but they are not BBB members and I wanted the leverage. Well, I suppose everyone has 20/20 hindsight.

I find it interesting that people seem fascinated with my story. I feared boring everyone with all these details. I like to write, just as I like to talk. I like to bear witness to my experiences. So it's good for me. But I like the idea that others find what I am writing interesting and useful. I guess people can use my own experience of moving from Brooklyn to Vermont to prepare for their own moves.

Thank you, everyone, for caring so much about my cat Sammy. Thankfully, the other 3 cats are fine. Jamie sat on my lap for part of the time I was typing this. Kasha loves to chew the tape on the boxes and this annoys me. Molly runs into closets and out onto the back porch every time a door is opened.

I got scared today. I couldn't find Jamie after the movers left. The movers brought a few things to my house after we moved the stored stuff into one unit. Then Jamie appeared. This was right after I thought I had lost my cell phone. I found it in the car. Lots of anxiety. Lots of resolution.

Last edited by arel; 10-21-2008 at 09:22 PM..

Old 10-21-2008, 11:13 PM

9 posts, read 21,757 times
Welcome! I am also a recent transplant from New York, although I had an easier time because I moved out of my parents' in northern NY, which I did in March.

Sorry about your cat. I am a cat lover too and should get one someday.

I've been to Brattleboro and Mount Wantastiquet looked beautiful. I'm up in Bellows Falls, which has Fall Mountain across the river and that looks more rocky and had been up to the top.

I've been to NYC only once, to Manhattan.

Old 10-22-2008, 04:18 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,070,116 times
Sadly, Arel, do not expect anything near NY libraries in VT....(well, in my part..) The funding is NOT there...We go to the Hanover Library (we had to pay to join) but it's the best in the area.

Old 10-22-2008, 04:23 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,517,775 times
The details are what make your writing and story so enjoyable. You are a very good writer!!! I think you found a new calling in life. I am a library nerd, I read 3 books at a time mostly memoirs and bios and I find you just as good as a writer than some of the books I have read. Keep going, and get that Typewriter!!!! Im telling you , you found your hidden talent!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont