Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 10:33 AM

1,442 posts, read 6,505,306 times

Advertisements

Mission accomplished. I've moved to Vermont.

The movers came last Thursday. I stayed in the house overnight in the empty house and then left the next day. I was exhausted, so I stayed in a local hotel. That was expensive, but I figured it was cheaper than having an accident on the road. I drove up on Saturday and have been here ever since. I just got a great place to live today; the papers will be signed tonight.

I will have to go back to Brooklyn to retrieve the cats when I am settled. The vet's office said the cats are doing well. Even high-strung Kasha has calmed down and become friendly. The day I left I learned they had a "caution" sign on her cage.

My stuff is in storage. Yesterday I discovered that the movers broke the marble top of my mother's coffee table. They say they will pay for it, but it was a one-of-a-kind piece that is irreplaceable. They also broke a glass shelf of the crystal closet. Only time will reveal what else they broke.

I think I will get a new car with AWD, or, at the very least, new tires. I almost had a serious accident on the way up; I had to make a sudden stop on a wet road (going from the Cross Parkway to I-91 in Connecticut) and I skidded badly. Fortunately, I got control of the car in a couple of seconds but the experience scared the you-know-what out of me. Anyway, I can now afford to buy a newer, better car. I think I will first look into a Subaru. I do NOT want to skid on a Vermont road. I've written about that before. No need to belabor the point.

Anyway, I actually did it. With your help, I did my emotional homework and then followed through with action. Even considering the hassles with the move, everything feels right. I genuinely believe I did the right thing.

I'm writing on my friend's Mac laptop and it is annoying to use. My regular computer is in storage. I hope the movers didn't break that, too.

So I'll sign off for now. I'll keep everyone posted on my Vermont adventures. And misadventures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2008, 10:45 AM

2,062 posts, read 3,967,559 times
YAY! Congratulations! Looking forward to hearing all the stories, good and bad.

Old 10-01-2008, 10:45 AM

1,822 posts, read 5,138,344 times
Woo-hoo! Congratulations and job well done. Nice going finding a place to live so quickly!

I'm sorry about the items broken in the move, especially your mother's table which sounds like it was pretty special to you. At least the most precious "cargo" -- you and your cats still in Brooklyn -- are doing well and moving along to the next chapter in your lives together.

I appreciate the update.

Old 10-01-2008, 03:03 PM

18,359 posts, read 26,534,926 times
Good luck! Maybe the marble top can be glued back together with something? I've never used movers, I prefer packing my stuff/moving it myself when possible...

Old 10-01-2008, 04:20 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,090,997 times
Good to hear you are 'HERE!!'

That's too bad about your broken stuff. We packed/moved ourselves (insane) from NY last year and then over here (not 7 hours, just 20 minutes!). Nothing was broken either trip. Too cheap to hire movers, I guess...oh, no FRUGAL that is..

This is a gorgeous time of year to move up here--what spectacular colors the last week or so! It's just getting dark too early though.

Keep us posted.

Old 10-01-2008, 04:31 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,833,888 times
Good luck to yah in your new life in Vermont. Your timing is perfect to check out your first Vermont fall foliage. Get a Vermont Gazetteer, it has every road in the state mapped.

Looking forward your reading about your assimilation.

Old 10-01-2008, 05:25 PM

2,143 posts, read 8,041,557 times
Congratulations and good luck!

Old 10-01-2008, 06:23 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,760,775 times
Congrats Arel!
Enjoy your new life!

Old 10-01-2008, 09:28 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,833,888 times
If the crunchy thing gets alittle thick and all the meadow muffins and Jerry Garcia look alikes start to wig you out I am told that Bratt has a new eatery of a certain sophistication call the Windham Wine Gallery.

http://windhamwines.com/gallery/ (broken link)

Old 10-01-2008, 09:34 PM

9,456 posts, read 11,211,158 times
CONGRATULATIONS!! This is very kewl, Arel.

Hope the remainder of your move improves.

All our experiences with movers have left something to be desired.

Good luck on the car. I'd suggest you look for something with ABS (anti-lock brakes) and stability control. Those are far more common nowadays than they used to be.

Tires are another matter, and IMHO most stock tires, and most tire (and car) salesmen, leave a great deal to be desired. Tire Rack has a good research function, the best I've seen on the web.

While some may think it's a waste to replace the new tires on a new car, from my viewpoint there are four contact patches that control our destiny and our vehicle's control, and I will do my best to make sure our four patches are the finest we can find and afford.

Again, good luck and congratulations. I hope your kitties join you soon!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont