Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 04:10 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,112,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunawayJim View Post
I hate to say it but industry has left New England in general. Vermont's problems are not unique. Businesses, especially larger corporations, prefer the south because land is cheaper.
I agree. Again I have to cite where I came from in NY. When defense went out the window (with Grumman) a lot of Long Island did, as well. So yes, industry and manufacturing has taken a hit in the Northeast.

The problem in Vermont (as I see it) is that the Mom and Pops are not able to employ people or if they do, it's not at a living wage.

Also how much can a person make 'in food service' or 'tourism?'

I'm truly sorry we have to move. I liked some things about this state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2009, 04:50 PM

18,331 posts, read 26,575,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I agree. Again I have to cite where I came from in NY. When defense went out the window (with Grumman) a lot of Long Island did, as well. So yes, industry and manufacturing has taken a hit in the Northeast.

The problem in Vermont (as I see it) is that the Mom and Pops are not able to employ people or if they do, it's not at a living wage.

To some degree free trade is to blame like elsewhere in the Northeast. But I know of several businesses that went out not because of free trade (NAFTA especially) but taxes and regulations from the state...

Old 12-11-2009, 07:59 AM

986 posts, read 2,339,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post

You can make a decent amount in tourism/hospitality, but the tourism has to be really strong. The problem with tourism is when the economy sucks, people travel less. Tourism, especially in New England, has highs and lows with the seasons. Some seasons (ski season in VT or summer in RI, for instance) have higher amounts of tourism, while others have far less.

Old 12-11-2009, 08:22 AM

400 posts, read 851,402 times
Vermont's problem isn't really its high taxes. High taxes and services can be maintained provided there is a large economic base and the population has decent paying jobs. Mass has its problems, but it is an economic hub so it has a tax base that can support it. Some one forgot to tell the idiots in the legislature that it isn't the case here. There isn't some huge group of corporations to tax and the population by and large doesn't have the income needed.

Vermont's poor business climate means people are paid insulting wages. Many skilled people up and leave, creating a negative feedback loop. The draconian development laws seem to be mostly designed to allow unadulterated mountain views for ski areas. (Notice carving a hole for a ski lift is still a-ok but if some one wanted to put a wind turbine up there it is suddenly to damaging to the view) Its hard to build houses or businesses, which results in the remaining aging housing stock increasing in price beyond the reach of most families while depressing their wages.

The bottom line is Vermont cannot be a big government utopia without the tax base to support it. Other states attracted a business climate before increasing their taxes. Vermont has put the cart before the house and chased out what little it had to start with.

Old 12-11-2009, 09:13 AM

914 posts, read 2,928,643 times
Good take, jimerino. But if you read the article posted, the problem goes a bit further than that, and may be harder to fix. If the population is aging without sufficient replacement, i.e. children who grow-up and stay in Vermont to work, then there will always be a struggle to balance government-subsidized programs/amenities/entitlements with a shrinking tax-base.

Old 12-11-2009, 09:56 AM

18,331 posts, read 26,575,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunawayJim View Post
You can make a decent amount in tourism/hospitality, but the tourism has to be really strong. The problem with tourism is when the economy sucks, people travel less. Tourism, especially in New England, has highs and lows with the seasons. Some seasons (ski season in VT or summer in RI, for instance) have higher amounts of tourism, while others have far less.
Only those at the top make decent money from tourism. Most tourism jobs are minimum wage or not much higher.

Old 12-11-2009, 11:49 AM

400 posts, read 851,402 times
looking4home: I'd argue that is a symptom of the same problem. Young people flee because their ability to build a career and raise a family here is crippled by lack of opportunities (poor business climate) and high costs (taxes, but I'd say mostly home prices). Once they leave, many never come back. And the remaining few are expected to shoulder an even greater burden, which they will of course buckle under and eventually be forced to flee from as well.

A young family often cannot afford to take a paycut to enjoy the Vermont lifestyle like people further along in their careers can.

Old 12-11-2009, 05:25 PM

2,143 posts, read 8,051,215 times
Sometimes I wonder about everyone crying they can't get hired by someone and there are no jobs. The solution is so obvious to me. Start your own business. Who says you have to work for someone else? Why is that an automatic assumption these days?

Old 12-11-2009, 05:52 PM

1,340 posts, read 2,811,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilybeans View Post
Sometimes I wonder about everyone crying they can't get hired by someone and there are no jobs. The solution is so obvious to me. Start your own business. Who says you have to work for someone else? Why is that an automatic assumption these days?
Good idea, then you can be both broke AND owe a lot of money.

Old 12-11-2009, 05:53 PM

5,296 posts, read 7,258,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilybeans View Post
In a perfect world that would be great.......easier said than done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont