Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2023, 08:51 AM

15 posts, read 18,297 times

Advertisements

Hello. My husband and I are looking to relocate from the horrific blue state of Rhode Island. We are very conservative, have no children, physically active and are looking for a like-minded community in Virginia. We are not WOKE and do not want to relocate anywhere where this crap is celebrated. Just looking for an old-fashioned town that we can settle down in.

Thanks!
Michelle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2023, 10:26 AM

2,282 posts, read 4,056,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meesh1966 View Post
Hello. My husband and I are looking to relocate from the horrific blue state of Rhode Island. We are very conservative, have no children, physically active and are looking for a like-minded community in Virginia. We are not WOKE and do not want to relocate anywhere where this crap is celebrated. Just looking for an old-fashioned town that we can settle down in.

Thanks!
Michelle
I googled "not woke" and "Virginia" and came up with Lee County as the least woke (and also furthest west) county in Virginia.

(Actually I googled the 2020 election results to find the county with the most lopsided results haha!)

That should be a delightful place for you. Good luck.

(Sometimes compassionate and open-minded people do slip through, but probably not in huge numbers!)

Old 02-10-2023, 10:31 AM

172 posts, read 119,217 times
There are a lot of places in Virginia that would fit your criteria so you need to be more specific; schools, topography, climate, recreational opportunities, rural or urban living, etc.

In general, the reddest parts of Virginia are in the Southwest, South & Central Virginia along with the Shenandoah Valley. The majority by land area is conservative.

The most liberal or Democratic areas would be Northern Virginia, college towns like Charlottesville or any precinct/city with a sizeable Black population.

If you want to be in a bigger metropolitan area you could look into Roanoke, Lynchburg, Richmond or Virginia Beach but not all parts of those metros will be conservative, however the counties generally are. I could help you narrow down further once I know what else matters to you.

If you go to a smaller metro or rural area there is no question of how red it is, many of these places are 80%+ Republican voting precincts.

I live in South Central Virginia and conservative, if that helps.

Old 02-10-2023, 11:35 AM

172 posts, read 119,217 times
Forgot to mention, since you're from Rhode Island, you may want to be close to the bay/coast. If that's the case both the Middle Peninsula and Northern Neck by the Chesapeake Bay are also very conservative (CD-1), so are the parts a little bit inland. The lower Peninsula is also fairly conservative except for the cities -- mainly due the colleges nearby and sizable Black populations.

Rural Virginia is more conservative than rural New England but we also have rural Black areas in the South that vote predominately Democratic, so keep that in mind when you're looking. Those areas aren't necessarily bad and I don't mean to generalize or stereotype people but the politics is what it is. If an area votes Democratic the 'woke' policies will be present regardless of whether the population is socially liberal or not, that's just the way things are these days. Many of those rural Blacks are socially conservative Christians too, so it's quite a dilemma for them I'm sure.

This is the most accurate map available from the 2022 election, by precinct:

https://www.vpap.org/visuals/visual/...s-by-precinct/

Old 02-10-2023, 01:49 PM

22,448 posts, read 11,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchful View Post
I googled "not woke" and "Virginia" and came up with Lee County as the least woke (and also furthest west) county in Virginia.

(Actually I googled the 2020 election results to find the county with the most lopsided results haha!)

That should be a delightful place for you. Good luck.

(Sometimes compassionate and open-minded people do slip through, but probably not in huge numbers!)
That last sentence was uncalled for. Seriously. "Compassionate and open-minded people" come from both sides of the aisle.

OP---Good for you for doing your homework before picking a spot to settle down! Once you get out of NoVA, there is a lot of natural beauty in VA.

Old 02-10-2023, 07:50 PM

2,189 posts, read 1,402,459 times
Many counties in the Southwest part of the state, as mentioned, are conservative. Good idea to check the voting charts. My county East of Roanoke is 75% Red. We would welcome another conservative.

Old 02-10-2023, 08:19 PM

6,784 posts, read 4,224,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Outdoorsman View Post
Why would anyone recommend North Carolina to someone looking for a conservative area? It is a very liberal state and trending bluer. Ersatz probably has an ulterior motive and doesn't want more conservatives here.

I personally know three families that moved to NC only to recently moved back to VA because they saw the writing on the wall w the growth of Raleigh, Charlotte and Asheville.

Why would anyone recommend Virginia for a conservative? It's a state that's going to vote Democratic in most statewide elections. You'll have a Democratic legislature, Democratic governor, Democratic senators like most of the time, and it'll go for the Democratic presidential candidate most years too. In contrast, NC has voted Republican in Presidential elections 10 out of the last 11 elections and has two Republican senators.

If NC is too liberal for you then you need to look at place like Oklahoma or Alabama not Virginia.

Old 02-11-2023, 09:28 AM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
Utah might be best for OP (or Texas

Old 02-11-2023, 02:09 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Outdoorsman View Post
Why would anyone recommend North Carolina to someone looking for a conservative area? It is a very liberal state and trending bluer. Ersatz probably has an ulterior motive and doesn't want more conservatives here.

I personally know three families that moved to NC only to recently moved back to VA because they saw the writing on the wall w the growth of Raleigh, Charlotte and Asheville.
Very liberal? That’s a good laugh. Yes maybe in Charlotte, Raleigh/Durham, and Asheville. But the majority of the state outside of those areas votes red. I moved from VA to NC in 2020 and Virginia overall is purple closer to blue and NC is purple closer to red.

Old 02-11-2023, 06:16 PM

2,189 posts, read 1,402,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
Why would anyone recommend Virginia for a conservative? It's a state that's going to vote Democratic in most statewide elections. You'll have a Democratic legislature, Democratic governor, Democratic senators like most of the time, and it'll go for the Democratic presidential candidate most years too.
Hope you are aware that right now we have a Republican Governor, a Republican Lt Governor, a Republican Attorney General as well as a Republican Majority in the Virginia House of Delegates?

Other than Northern Virginia (up near DC) and parts of Eastern Virginia, Virginia is very Red.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia