Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2023, 07:57 AM

172 posts, read 119,313 times

Advertisements

Suggesting that conservative people move to Tennessee or West Virginia at this point is disenfranchisement.

Tennessee is a beautiful but land-locked state. It's already jam-packed with Conservatives who continue move there in droves only to dilute their political power. Soon all we will have left is Tennessee, West Virginia, Kentucky and a few sparsely populated interior states like Wyoming and South Dakota. Not even Texas is immune to Democrat control. Conservatives who want their votes to matter but still want to be removed from woke culture should be moving to deep red or better yet, purple areas, of swing states like Virginia, North Carolina and Georgia instead.

Last edited by VA Outdoorsman; 03-21-2023 at 08:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2023, 03:45 PM

6,073 posts, read 4,747,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
So Southwest VA still has the death penalty and doesn't tell anyone about it?
interesting. you answered my question with a question, when there is clearly an answer. the answer is no, you've not left your NOVA bubble. the nice part of VA is more than just all the colleges.

Old 03-23-2023, 10:47 AM

6,786 posts, read 4,227,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
interesting. you answered my question with a question, when there is clearly an answer. the answer is no, you've not left your NOVA bubble. the nice part of VA is more than just all the colleges.

So clearly the rules made in Richmond apply wherever you are in Virginia after all. It's not 1890 and the countryside isn't insulated from what happens in the cities or the laws passed by the state. I don't have to visit every little small town in rural Virginia to know that. It's got nothing do with 'living in a bubble'; it's just logical thinking.

Old 03-23-2023, 11:18 AM

Quote:
It's not 1890 and the countryside isn't insulated from what happens in the cities or the laws passed by the state.

The cities are also not insulated from what happens in our hallowed countryside - as was shown during the last election.

Virginia's southern, agrarian roots and Jeffersonian tradition keep her from being fully exploited by big city elites coming down from D.C., unlike the ever-soft, small and exploitable, Maryland.

Old 03-23-2023, 03:26 PM

6,073 posts, read 4,747,738 times
Quote:
So clearly the rules made in Richmond apply wherever you are in Virginia after all. It's not 1890 and the countryside isn't insulated from what happens in the cities or the laws passed by the state. I don't have to visit every little small town in rural Virginia to know that. It's got nothing do with 'living in a bubble'; it's just logical thinking.
I work for the state of virginia. richmond makes suggestions, but we make our own rules. I know you may not like, or understand that, but that's the reality. leave the bubble. I live where you people go for vacation.

Old 03-24-2023, 08:21 AM

6,786 posts, read 4,227,308 times
Quote:
I work for the state of virginia. richmond makes suggestions, but we make our own rules. I know you may not like, or understand that, but that's the reality. leave the bubble. I live where you people go for vacation.

You may think that, but you're mistaken. Every Democratic governor is turning VA a little more into New York or Connecticut, and there's little you can do about it, because it's not like a guy like Youngkin will do anything to reverse it. He'll at best slow it down for a while until he gets replaced with the next Democrat.

Ask conservatives in places like CA or NY state whether it's irrelevant what's decided in the state capital.

Old 03-24-2023, 09:12 AM

Quote:
You may think that, but you're mistaken. Every Democratic governor is turning VA a little more into New York or Connecticut, and there's little you can do about it, because it's not like a guy like Youngkin will do anything to reverse it. He'll at best slow it down for a while until he gets replaced with the next Democrat.

Ask conservatives in places like CA or NY state whether it's irrelevant what's decided in the state capital.

Not so fast. You really do live in a bubble.

That may have been the case during the last decade but Democrats still had ok margins in the rest of the state back then -- Democrat support has been eroding even more rapidly in Virginia (outside of NoVa and the cities) since around the mid-2010s. Remember, even Mark Warner won parts of Southwest in the 2000s. That would not happen today.

Things have changed where Southwest, the Shenandoah Valley and South/Central Virginia now have have many localities that shifted so far to the right in the last several years (80-90%+ for some precincts), that similar Democratic gains in NoVa are being reined in. This fact alone will change statewide elections going forward. Not to mention a population loss occurring in Northern Va. at the same time there is a slight -- but trending -- rural population gain in Virginia.

Old 03-27-2023, 10:58 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,266,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Outdoorsman View Post
Suggesting that conservative people move to Tennessee or West Virginia at this point is disenfranchisement.

Tennessee is a beautiful but land-locked state. It's already jam-packed with Conservatives who continue move there in droves only to dilute their political power. Soon all we will have left is Tennessee, West Virginia, Kentucky and a few sparsely populated interior states like Wyoming and South Dakota. Not even Texas is immune to Democrat control. Conservatives who want their votes to matter but still want to be removed from woke culture should be moving to deep red or better yet, purple areas, of swing states like Virginia, North Carolina and Georgia instead.
Even the counties in southwest VA (mostly coal country) that used to vote for Democrats are very culturally conservative. They only voted blue based on historical union ties. The cultural ties have now swung so far to the right that I doubt you'll ever have a meaningful blue vote there again, but the flip side is that many of those counties are just so terrible that no one wants to live there, businesses won't locate there, and their significance is going to continue to erode.

VA, NC, and GA are swing to purple-ish states. You have to have some level of balance and compromise to function there.

I'm from Bristol. I was very active in the local Republican Party from 2007 to 2012 when I moved out of the area. I came back in 2016, and especially post-pandemic, the political atmosphere is to go far as to the right and be as noisy and obnoxious as possible. There's no balance there - it's becoming more extreme and complete echo chamber. "Political refugees" are coming in from wealthier issues, professing "local" values, but they're more than happy to bring CA/IL/NY/MA money with them that is not really possibly to earn locally.

Some of my complaints are local issues, but I split time between Bristol and western NC, and other than cost of living, WNC is just far superior, including more balanced politics and less "in your face" extremism.

Old 03-27-2023, 05:27 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,656,100 times
Seems very clear. https://www.politico.com/election-re...2021/virginia/

Old 03-28-2023, 11:08 AM

2,262 posts, read 2,396,802 times
Quote:
I’d rather stay in the NoVa bubble. Virginia, like a lot of these southern states these days, seems to have taken steps backwards and it’s embarrassing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia