Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2019, 11:48 AM

857 posts, read 1,200,477 times

Advertisements

Its interesting and refreshing that i read this thread and ppl condemn the effects gentrification had on DCs soul (or lack of it rather). This forum used to be full of gentrification cheerleaders and i got into countless back and forths with em calling them out for their entitled racist attitudes.....got put in time out alot of tines too lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2019, 05:45 AM

636 posts, read 611,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter2219 View Post
Its interesting and refreshing that i read this thread and ppl condemn the effects gentrification had on DCs soul (or lack of it rather). This forum used to be full of gentrification cheerleaders and i got into countless back and forths with em calling them out for their entitled racist attitudes.....got put in time out alot of tines too lol
Same. I usually hate threads on the DC sub.

Old 05-09-2019, 09:43 PM

55 posts, read 51,870 times
So DC goes from one of the most dangerous cities on the planet to one of the most admired, yet the racists are complaining about “crackaz need to stop movin into muh hood!!”

I never realized just how stupid many people are until I heard them complaining about the fact that society was improving. Unreal.

Racism truly does have a blinding effect on people.

Last edited by johnnysalami; 05-09-2019 at 09:44 PM.. Reason: Add

Old 05-10-2019, 07:07 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,557,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter2219 View Post

I guess it's possible to A. Think gentrification is on the whole a good thing, and still think that go-go is part of DC's heritage that should be preserved OR B. That its very important to preserve affordable housing and economic diversity in DC, but that the record store was in the wrong.

IOW, I think that logically the issue with the record store really is different from the issues of housing and gentrification - I think the links may be more emotional than practical.

Old 05-10-2019, 10:52 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,741,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnysalami View Post
So DC goes from one of the most dangerous cities on the planet to one of the most admired, yet the racists are complaining about “crackaz need to stop movin into muh hood!!”

I never realized just how stupid many people are until I heard them complaining about the fact that society was improving. Unreal.

Incorrect. This entire issue can be summarized below:

Memphis (Beale Street)

Memphis Beale Street

New Orleans (Bourbon Street)

New Orleans Bourbon Street

This is the culture of those cities. What is GoGo in D.C.? What is U Street in D.C.?

Old 05-10-2019, 12:34 PM

55 posts, read 51,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Incorrect. This entire issue can be summarized below:

Memphis (Beale Street)

Memphis Beale Street

New Orleans (Bourbon Street)

New Orleans Bourbon Street

This is the culture of those cities. What is GoGo in D.C.? What is U Street in D.C.?
Preventing people from migrating to a neighborhood/city/country because you want to “preserve the people and culture” is the same tired argument that every racist uses. Quit your whining because DC is no longer as dangerous as many other cities in this country.

Old 05-10-2019, 06:36 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,741,344 times
Quote:
Preventing people from migrating to a neighborhood/city/country because you want to “preserve the people and culture” is the same tired argument that every racist uses. Quit your whining because DC is no longer as dangerous as many other cities in this country.
Whining? You must be new here. I promote development here in DC. What I don’t promote is people not embracing the local culture of the city they are moving to. Who does that? Never heard of it except here in DC.

I don’t think people are complaining about people moving here. They want people to embrace the cities culture like they do in New Orleans, Memphis, and Nashville.

Old 05-11-2019, 07:19 AM

6,787 posts, read 4,230,123 times
Quote:

Nonsense. You need ownership to have a sense of home, you need a sense of home to have a community. What these things do is take ownership away from the people who call DC home and it destroys the community. And what for? A generic playground for the transient professional class with all the amenities and perks that represent the current notion of ‘good’ living as determined by focus groups and corporate panels.

DC as a community had plenty of problems, problems that made and continue to make many peoples lives difficult. But at least it is or was a community. The solution to the problems of the hood isnt to bust it and build a Whole Foods and some cookie cutter fake luxury apartment blocks. A troubled community with a culture and identity still beats no community at all. And yes communities take many years to build..and the lifestyle that is propagated now not only destroys the existing communities, it prevents the formation of new ones due its hedonistic and self-centered character. For those not rooted here - ie most of the well to do here - its just a region of strangers passing each other like ships in the night. Thats not society improving, thats dystopian in the long run.

Old 05-12-2019, 11:09 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,391,677 times
Quote:

“DC goes from one of the most dangerous cities on the planet to one of the most admired”

Which was a result of gentrification. Must’ve been a real hoot to live in one of the most dangerous cities in the world. Racist people should just leave in droves and let the city return to what it was.

Old 05-12-2019, 11:31 AM

124 posts, read 65,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
“DC goes from one of the most dangerous cities on the planet to one of the most admired”

Which was a result of gentrification. Must’ve been a real hoot to live in one of the most dangerous cities in the world. Racist people should just leave in droves and let the city return to what it was.
But if D.C. was so dangerous, why did so many decide to relocate to the City? Why didn't they stay in the suburbs of VA and MD or remain in the Midwest?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC